Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2014, 07:32 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
It took several years to get my coach settled down. Now it is normal maintenance and wear/tear.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #16

I bet I have changed a dozen table tops last year because one of the factory guys used a longer beefier screw to attach them and dimpled the top. The problem is the power tools they use to install them. Add in that most schools don't have any form of shop classes so the kids we have to hire seldom know anything other than how to play video games.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #17

Someone once told me that there are 2 types of concrete;
1) concrete that's cracked
2) concrete that's going to crack

Kind of the same with RV's
1) RV that needs something fixed or adjusted
2) RV that's getting ready to need to have something fixed or adjusted

Just a part of the game, but it will get better over time.

Good luck!!
Old 08-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
Had my coach a year and one half and have dealt with 36 different issues. Every thing from replacing an air conditioner to the mud flap falling off. I seem to be getting ahead of it now but we will see when I head south later this year.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a couple of things.

1. When screwing into soft wood or particle board that is a disaster waiting to happen. And IMHO it really does not matter to much what screw you use. Neither of materials is a very good product for holding a screw. If they used something like Oak or Maple the weight would be a factor, especially for these "Ultra-Lite" TT's.

On our second coach here's what I did within the first month. I got some epoxy glue used to glue golf heads to the shafts. It's a 24 hour cure but boy does it hold. I removed every screw I could easily find and filled the hole with epoxy and put them back in. Never had any problems with loose or stripped screws and kept it for ten years. It took me the better part of 2 days to do the job. No big deal.

2. We all know that in a perfect world we shouldn't have to deal with warranty repairs. If they did it correctly the first time they wouldn't have to re-do i. Here's information that few know. The RV industry fully expects to spend about 6% of the cost of the RV in warranty repairs. That figure is built into the cost. If you and your dealer don't take advantage of that they are losing a lot of $$$$$ and you are not getting your money's worth. AND the manufacturer is getting another 6% profit. Yes I know for many of us it's just as easy to do the repairs because of fuel issues, inconvenience and many of us can do the repair better than they will.
I would keep the 6% idea in mind. If you bought a $100,000 MH try to get your $6,000 worth of repairs. If they replace a bad awning motor get an idea of what it cost. If they have to fix it again don't subtract that cost twice but just once. The dealer should fix it the first time as well.

For me I don't mind working on a few items here and there. That's what makes it our home away from home.

TeJay
Old 08-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Nothing unusual about what happened to the OP. All Makes/Models with the possible exception of those that cost in excess of $500K. It's just what we as a buying public are willing to plunk down our money for. Seems a shame, but as long as they sell then the manufactures have no reason to get better. In fact some folks don't bring them back for poor quality, they just go to Lowes and buy proper screws and fix it themselves. Newmar just saved the cost of fixing another one, or properly inspecting it during manufacturing.

Dick
Old 08-31-2014, 06:34 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
I was showing the new coach to my daughter and SIL today. The 3103 has a dinette table that extends out of the credenza. You can collapse the table into the credenza, so that it can seat two people, or pull it all the way out to seat four. As I was pushing it back in (spring loaded with a gas strut, similar to what's on the basement doors), a small screw hits the floor. I look down and the gas strut is hanging down, no longer attached to the table. Newmar installed the gas strut with #6 x 1/2 screws. They pulled out of the wood.went down to Lowes and picked up some #10 x 3/4 screws, and re-mounted it.

I'm hoping that this is an exception to Newmar's quality standard. There is no way, this would hold up for long.

Congratulations ! You got yourself a good one !
You made it a whole week before you had to fix something !!!'
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:22 AM   #22

It was a simple enough fix. it took me all of 10 minutes, after getting some larger screws. The gas strut is actually screwed into a block of wood about 2 x 3 inches, which is stapled on four corners to the underside of the table. Looking at that, those staples will probably go next.

The fact that I had to fix something, is not surprising. The fact that it didn't even last a week was the disappointing part.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:41 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our friends just bought a new Tiffin Phaeton. It had so many issues the dealer told them to just bring it back to th factory. they did, and waited a week with the hundreds of other new RVs waiting, but had everything fixed to their satisfaction two days later. They called them birth defects.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
I believe all motorhomes should have the two year warranty like I understand they pretty much all used to have. They seem too complex and some aren't used enough in the first year to uncover all of the problems. This is one reason I think Entegra is becoming more and more popular.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:19 AM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Remember, many of these "craftsmen" that build these things were standing in front of Home Depot not that long ago !!
Chuck, you are not too far off the mark with that assessment! While speaking to a knowlegeable service manager at a large RV manufacturer in Elkhart recently, he stated that there is a real shortage of qualified, talented assemblers/craftsmen available in the RV manufacturing area/s. He said that there is intense competition for workers, supervisors, etc., and many of the good workers are lured away from companies by competing manufacturers, for more $. I think that manufacturers like Newmar are the recipient of these more talented and reliable workforces. There seems to be a real challenge to get individuals to dedicate themselves to the hard work and dedication that the RV industry requires and the consumer deserves.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #26

A guy told me one time

If you can't turn a screwdriver
And jf you don't have a sense of humor

You shouldn't have an RV😊
Old 08-31-2014, 06:53 PM   #27

Smile

In my previous life I was an RV dealer. I sold motorhomes for 20 years (the last one in 1991). I told everybody that I sold a motorhome to that an experienced motorhome owner had a toolbox and knew how to use it. I then gave examples of things that will come up and how to fix them. It didn't work for everybody but managing expectations went a long way to a long lasting good RV experience.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:23 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Several years ago we stopped at the KOA in Pomona. Across from us was a brand new Marathon. The fellow was on his way back to the factory to have a bunch of work done on it.

He was livid. In his words it was falling apart and was a piece of crap. It rattled and creaked, the slides did not fit well, etc, etc. His plan was to drop it off at the factory and fly home. He said it was the second time and if they could not fix it this time he was going to ask them to replace it.

Never did hear how it turned out for him.