Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2008, 03:02 AM   #1

I looked at a '08 4508 Essex. Really like the coach as far as colors, amenities, and options. I liked the rear bath (floorplan is a bath and 1/2), but I realize there must be pros and cons. Any observations on this floorplan?
Also, this is an all electric coach. About 50% of our camping is boondocking. I know I will miss the gas range. I am skeptical about the salesperson's representations about how infrequently the generator will need to run except to run the A/C, Is there anything else I will miss from being propaneless?
Thanks for the input!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2008, 03:02 AM   #2

I looked at a '08 4508 Essex. Really like the coach as far as colors, amenities, and options. I liked the rear bath (floorplan is a bath and 1/2), but I realize there must be pros and cons. Any observations on this floorplan?
Also, this is an all electric coach. About 50% of our camping is boondocking. I know I will miss the gas range. I am skeptical about the salesperson's representations about how infrequently the generator will need to run except to run the A/C, Is there anything else I will miss from being propaneless?
Thanks for the input!
Old 09-28-2008, 05:34 AM   #3

50% boondocking and no propane for the refrigerator?
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #4

Well here's two articles cover All Electric coaches and rear bath and a half which I wrote recently. All Electric and http://blog.rv.net/2008/04/27/rear-b...f-floor-plans/

Hopefully this is of interest.

Peter
Old 09-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #5

Lug Nut, as usual, your articles were informative and brought up issues we had not considered. I also did a search and read some posts on both topics.
I think the bath and a half will work. The all electric issue is more problematic. I hope others will offer opinions and perspective.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #6

Having had a few of both (currently have all electric) I would not consider an all electric for your needs. The batteries are not as good for boondocking as propane...period!
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #7

IMHO would not have rear bath with the stool not being in a separte area. Newmar does have a couple of floorplans with this configuration, although most of them you run into the stool when entering the rear bath.

Would go all electric with minimium of six batteries, 4000w or more inverter(s) and a second Jenny(i.e. portable Honda 1000 or 2000watt, etc.).
Old 09-28-2008, 03:20 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Newmar's all electric is 8 batteries for house. Anything less will not do. I would not necessarily waste money on a spare genset, of any size. Onans, be they gas or diesel are extremely reliable. Gosh, with the prices for everything now, we must have some faith.

Peter
Old 09-28-2008, 03:41 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Newmar's all electric is 8 batteries for house. Anything less will not do. I would not necessarily waste money on a spare genset, of any size. Onans, be they gas or diesel are extremely reliable. Gosh, with the prices for everything now, we must have some faith.

Peter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2nd Jenny is not for standby(although on our boat we had an 8kw to backup the 15kw and it was needed more than once) but quite useful when you don't want to listen to the loud one. We use it more than the big one when we don't need AC-would not be without it when doing a lot of dry camping.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #10

Well, I guess I just have more faith than maybe I should have. I only have one 17 kw on my boat, but 2 270 amp alt. on each 1015 HP C-18 Cats. I'm just a rogue I guess.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lug_Nut:
Well, I guess I just have more faith than maybe I should have. I only have one 17 kw on my boat, but 2 270 amp alt. on each 1015 HP C-18 Cats. I'm just a rogue I guess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having traveled the Carribbean fishing for twenty years we found most Sportfishing boats had a 2nd generator. Comes in handy when you are out all day(or traveling from Florida to South America) and trying to maintain ACs, Ice Machine, Frig, freezers, watermaker, etc. etc, and the Jenny fails. In fact many have two large Jennys. We had a Westerbeke(break) that failed quite often when new. On the other hand our 10 cylinder Man's never failed over 6000 hours.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #12

Wow, I can't make it in one day from Florida to South America, let alone the fuel range. Sport Fishing boats must rule.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #13

Hey, Dave, Back the genset up. This was about a MH genset, nothing to do with sailing a million miles. You definately do not need two gensets, even if you boondock. If you do, you need another make and dealer!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:52 AM   #14

Aw heck won't be able to tell the story about traveling from Key West to Isla Mujeres(Cancun) at night and losing the single Jenny(which powered the 96 mile radar) while passing the tip of Cuba-but thats another story

But as orginally said, when doing a lot of drycamping would have a second Jenny if not just for the noise of running the big one a lot.

PS-from Florida to Venezuela took a minimum of six twelve hour days runninng 30 knots with six fuel stops(much further by RV).