Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
OK you asked for opinions so here is mine. TRY to get the Ventana if you can. But if you can move a little farther on cost, try to get a side radiator DP to make it much easier to work on. The engine is hard to get access to with a rear radiator. In any case, I highly recommend the DP for comfort down the road. They are so much more pleasant to drive because of noise, stability, etc. I kind of wasted a lot of money "working up" to the RV we have now and looking back I would have been wise to skip a couple of steps and stretch. In any case, good luck and have fun. jmo mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
What does your wife like the best?
This ^

Also

When I was searching I received two offers of wisdom. The first was "don't drive a nice diesel unless you are ready to purchase because the drive is so much nicer than a gas".

The next was "a gas coach is just as quiet as a diesel when you are parked, so think about the mileage you will be driving when making the choice".

We ended up with a gas coach because we don't use it much, and I didn't see the financial sense (for us) for having an additional $30-50,000 depreciating in our garage for 10-11 months out of the year.

Lastly, we borrowed a friends diesel a few times before we purchased our coach. Thinking back that was not a smart move on their part because I really did not know much about a MH. The gas has been a great way to learn a lot about how to properly care for a coach, especially though the great folks on this forum.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
This ^

Also

When I was searching I received two offers of wisdom. The first was "don't drive a nice diesel unless you are ready to purchase because the drive is so much nicer than a gas".

The next was "a gas coach is just as quiet as a diesel when you are parked, so think about the mileage you will be driving when making the choice".

We ended up with a gas coach because we don't use it much, and I didn't see the financial sense (for us) for having an additional $30-50,000 depreciating in our garage for 10-11 months out of the year.

Lastly, we borrowed a friends diesel a few times before we purchased our coach. Thinking back that was not a smart move on their part because I really did not know much about a MH. The gas has been a great way to learn a lot about how to properly care for a coach, especially though the great folks on this forum.
I was thinking that as well. That is why I was interested in a 4 to 5 year old DP. It seems to me that the depreciation really starts to level off around the 4-5 year point. I may be wrong but it also seems that after the initial depreciation hit the DP holds the value a bit better.
Steve737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #18

You’ll like the Ventana more when driving and lounging. But I think you’ll not like making up the sofa bed every day. If you want a diesel there are some with drop down beds or other sleeping arrangements for kids. You might want to think about seeing some more floor plans.
Finance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
You’ll like the Ventana more when driving and lounging. But I think you’ll not like making up the sofa bed every day. If you want a diesel there are some with drop down beds or other sleeping arrangements for kids. You might want to think about seeing some more floor plans.
We were looking at the rv show I did like that.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJones View Post
OK you asked for opinions so here is mine. TRY to get the Ventana if you can. But if you can move a little farther on cost, try to get a side radiator DP to make it much easier to work on. The engine is hard to get access to with a rear radiator. In any case, I highly recommend the DP for comfort down the road. They are so much more pleasant to drive because of noise, stability, etc. I kind of wasted a lot of money "working up" to the RV we have now and looking back I would have been wise to skip a couple of steps and stretch. In any case, good luck and have fun. jmo mark
I’m not sure which models have the side vs rear radiator? I’ll have to look at that.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Remember in some States (PA is one) you need a Class B license to drive the Ventana. Also where did you see only a $30K difference between CS and Ventana, every time I look it is more like $100K.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Remember in some States (PA is one) you need a Class B license to drive the Ventana. Also where did you see only a $30K difference between CS and Ventana, every time I look it is more like $100K.

Remember there is a Ventana LE. All depends on option level $30k to 40k sounds close for an LE if same size.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve737 View Post
I’m not sure which models have the side vs rear radiator? I’ll have to look at that.

Ventana and Ventana LE are the only ones with a rear radiator.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
The price difference is between a new one year old (new on the lot) CS and a used ventana.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am a late arrival I guess, welcome to the forum and your search for a Newmar.
Here is a link to help your around irv2.
This link has info you will need to find info on systems in a Newmar and the TSB link will get you info on any coach you maybe interested in.
When you gey your Newmar all the links below in my signature will have info for the Newmar.
Good luck in your quest and maybe a welcome to the Newmar family.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:01 AM   #26

To the OP....

I know I only have a gasser, but this suggestion fits gasser or diesel motorhomes.

You mention that you’re rather tall. Make absolutely sure you are completely comfortable with the seating position of the driver’s seat if there’s a slide in close proximity. Gas or diesel.....

If you can’t position the seat back far enough because the slide when retracted blocks your driver seat travel, it won’t matter about the living quarters if the drive blocks you from comfort or safety.

Just saying. A lot of people have purchased their rig, and never had the rig long enough to actually try the driving position before purchase.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #27

Canyon
Old 02-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
It's not only a choice between gas and diesel. It is a choice between toy hauler or not. I understand your concerns because we moved from a 5th wheel toy hauler to a DP. A toy hauler can be so much more than that. It is a garage, a meal serving area, a dog run, an extra bedroom, a mud room, amongst others. We absolutely love our MADP, but we sorely miss having our garage and deck/patio too. We don't miss towing the 5th wheel.

2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote