RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #127

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Iíd say the panorama 5-in-1 with the MAX is doing just fine! Best Iíve ever seen on cellular. Speed test showed AT&T.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	235359

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Iíd say the panorama 5-in-1 with the MAX is doing just fine! Best Iíve ever seen on cellular. Speed test showed AT&T.
Great numbers. Now carefully back away from the base of the cell tower.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #129

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Haha. Iím actually still in storage where itís been terrible connectivity. Not sure why the good speeds today. Have to figure out where the towers are. Storage is in the boonies.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #130

Antenna

Quote:
In reviewing what I ordered and is arriving tomorrow, the BR1 MINI LTE-A, I'm actually surprised to see it's nearly identical to the MAX BR1 MK2 less 5 ghz WiFi.

https://www.peplink.com/products/max...lular/#br1mini

For those that don't care about 5 ghz Wi-Fi and just want a better hotspot you could get this unit for $299 without LTE-A, $399 with LTE-A (which we all know we recommend).

Here are the options for those interested in the Peplink Pepwave group:

Best: https://5gstore.com/product/7865_pep...x_br1_mk2.html $699

Better (lacks 5ghz WiFi, has only 2.4 which is fine): https://5gstore.com/product/6817_pep..._advanced.html $399

Good (Same as above without LTE-A): https://5gstore.com/product/6818_pep..._mini_lte.html $299
Neal, What is the antenna requirements for the 6818_pepwave_max_br1_mini_lte? Permanent roof mount or portable setup in CG?
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #131

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridany View Post
Neal, What is the antenna requirements for the 6818_pepwave_max_br1_mini_lte? Permanent roof mount or portable setup in CG?

It comes with antennas, external/roof not required. I do not recommend the mini as a stand-alone as it does not have the WiFi features to get CG WiFi for example. Iím only using it for cellular. If thatís all you want then itís fine.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #132

Quote:
Haha. Iím actually still in storage where itís been terrible connectivity. Not sure why the good speeds today. Have to figure out where the towers are. Storage is in the boonies.
Maybe they just added new capacity to the back haul on that tower. I remember in the early days of LTE there were so few clients with LTE as the new LTE towers came on line the speeds were amazing. I think so much of this variability we are seeing is the the wicked mix of capacity and demand at any one cell tower.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #133

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Optimizing LTE-A Modem Performance in an RV

This may be the weighted balance at work. Did another test to see if the prior time was a hoax. This time it showed Verizon and still crazy fast. I think this is all actually Verizon on the 850 MHz band. While it showed AT&T before I bet the speed was actually Verizon. Pretty cool!!

Really happy with adding the Mini and load balancing two active cell connections. Gold!!!

Name:	IMG_0048.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	235365
Old 02-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #134

Quote:
This may be the weighted balance at work. Did another test to see if the prior time was a hoax. This time it showed Verizon and still crazy fast. I think this is all actually Verizon on the 850 MHz band. While it showed AT&T before I bet the speed was actually Verizon. Pretty cool!!

Really happy with adding the Mini and load balancing two active cell connections. Gold!!!
You have come a long way from your WeBoost days.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:09 PM   #135

SureCall antennas are history. Upgraded to the new Poynting MIMO-3-V2-15 antenna. This antenna is now available on Amazon for only $140. It is an integrated MIMO antenna with more gain than the SureCall. It is a unique antenna combining a low profile and wide base which helps with reception. It comes with 38" antenna lead using lower loss RG58 cable. Antenna lead loss is a very low -1 dB at 2,000 mHz and -.7 dB at 900 mHz. The unique design of the antenna allowed me to mount it directly above the cabinet over the driver's seat and move my PepWave Max back inside the coach. The antenna is mounted on a custom mount I made providing a nice ground plane, though the specs don't mention the requirement for a ground plane.

Early testing suggests a significant performance improvement. I am now able to get LTE-A inside a metal hangar with all the doors closed. This never happened with the SureCall antennas. Testing continues.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
SureCall antennas are history. Upgraded to the new Poynting MIMO-3-V2-15 antenna. This antenna is now available on Amazon for only $140. It is an integrated MIMO antenna with more gain than the SureCall. It is a unique antenna combining a low profile and wide base which helps with reception. It comes with 38" antenna lead using lower loss RG58 cable. Antenna lead loss is a very low -1 dB at 2,000 mHz and -.7 dB at 900 mHz. The unique design of the antenna allowed me to mount it directly above the cabinet over the driver's seat and move my PepWave Max back inside the coach. The antenna is mounted on a custom mount I made providing a nice ground plane, though the specs don't mention the requirement for a ground plane.

Early testing suggests a significant performance improvement. I am now able to get LTE-A inside a metal hangar with all the doors closed. This never happened with the SureCall antennas. Testing continues.

Sounds great how big a hole is required for the cables?

The one you linked to is the 12. They also have one that includes WiFi and GPS
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:53 PM   #137

Nice wish it came in black
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Sounds great how big a hole is required for the cables?

The one you linked to is the 12. They also have one that includes WiFi and GPS
They have several models. I got the basic MIMO. Those cable will go down 1/2" hole just fine. I brought out a couple of ethernet cables and a second set of antenna cable for future growth.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Nice wish it came in black
No reason you can't spray paint the antenna any color you like. Just comes with white plastic top now. They way my antenna is mounted it cannot be seen from most angles but it is high enough not to be shadowed by other roof top structures.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #140

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Be careful with the ground plane. Panorama said NO and the guide said if you did it would have to be 20 x 20 inches. I know yours is not panorama but I'm not sure if the manual gave you guidance on it or not.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0002.png
Views:	40
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	235657