Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #211

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
That is the way to do testing. Remove as many variables as possible.

Would enjoy seeing some side by side tests under these conditions between $15 rabbit ears and $550 Panorama all in one antennas.
$315 - https://5gstore.com/product/6231_pan...nna-black.html
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
$515 https://5gstore.com/product/8382_9-i...kaAkDZEALw_wcB

2X2 MIMO is now out of date. Neil, you have to keep up.

Did you see the PC Magazine article on the impact of 4X4 MIMO on fringe reception of LTE signals. Pretty impressive. 20 Mbps down at -127 dB signal strength for 4X4 MIMO. Now I know way my iPhone XS MAX keeps blowing away my PepWave MAX in download and fringe area reception. This has a profound impact on our goal to eliminate WiFi as WAN.

turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #213

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm blocking you. Visa says so!

P.S. 5GStore should send you that out of date obsolete 5-in-1 antenna as you've brought them plenty of business. 5GSTORE ARE YOU LISTENING??? Send Turbo some goodies! You owe him!

I'm waiting for the 18-in-1 releasing in June, get with the program!
Old 03-07-2019, 11:01 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I'm blocking you. Visa says so!

P.S. 5GStore should send you that out of date obsolete 5-in-1 antenna as you've brought them plenty of business. 5GSTORE ARE YOU LISTENING??? Send Turbo some goodies! You owe him!

I'm waiting for the 18-in-1 releasing in June, get with the program!
Apparently some cell towers are now doing 8X8 MIMO. This is never going end.

Now undergoing bench tests. CradlePoint IBR900 with dual CAT 18 modems, one 2X2 MIMO and the other 4X4 MIMO. That is why I need 6 antenna leads to the roof. Even the $515 Panorama will not service this beast.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #215

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I have some spare 3 inch ABS pipe if you need it from my wet bay project.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #216

Quote:
Now undergoing bench tests. CradlePoint IBR900 with dual CAT 18 modems, one 2X2 MIMO and the other 4X4 MIMO. That is why I need 6 antenna leads to the roof. Even the $515 Panorama will not service this beast.
How much do you charge for antenna fabrication
Old 03-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
How much do you charge for antenna fabrication
It is interesting working on options. Since it is so easy to do I am going to add 4 LTE Paddle "rabbit ear" antennas to my Poynting MIMO-3 antenna mount and see how it works. These $15 antennas are "indoor" rated but no reason they should not work outdoors. They have an elbow at the bottom, so a passing branch should just lay them flat. All ready have the paddles so worth a try. Paddles I have specify same dB gain as typical "outdoor" antennas at lower frequencies.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #218

Optimizing LTE-A Modem Performance in an RV

Reviewing the Poynting and Panorama antennas, they seem very similar in performance. Does anyone have any evidence of superiority one vs the other, either anecdotal or empirical? I do see where the Poynting antenna handles the 410 - 470mhz range where the Panorama does not.

Also seems the Panorama ($315 5gstore) is about $100 more that the Poynting ($195 Amazon). Is it worth the difference?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:26 PM   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by foretm View Post
Reviewing the Poynting and Panorama antennas, they seem very similar in performance. Does anyone have any evidence of superiority one vs the other, either anecdotal or empirical? I do see where the Poynting antenna handles the 410 - 470mhz range where the Panorama does not.

Also seems the Panorama ($315 5gstore) is about $100 more that the Poynting ($195 Amazon). Is it worth the difference?
This whole technology is evolving so quickly there really has not been much done to compare the options. Folks over at the Mobile Internet Resource Center are clearly leading the way reviewing products. I think they are planning on doing antenna product comparisons soon. Anyone considering spending money and time on this technology should sign up for their premium service for $89/year.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:52 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by foretm View Post

Here is a slide by Poynting comparing antenna options. I think this is a fair resource for comparison.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #221

Gotcha.... i'm not familiar with them i'll have to check them out.

Thanks...
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #222

Heads up. I have continued to do LTE roof mounted antenna tests. I have three sets of MIMO antennas on the roof: Poynting MIMO-3, SureCall (2) and a set of indoor rabbit ear antennas. I put the rabbit ear antennas up there to do some WiFi testing but then I hooked them up to the LTE antenna ports.

Guess what? All three antennas have just about the same signal strength at my current location. Maybe 1 or 2 dB more on the Poynting but not a big difference.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:55 PM   #223

Quote:
Guess what? All three antennas have just about the same signal strength at my current location. Maybe 1 or 2 dB more on the Poynting but not a big difference.
I would run 3 speed tests on each ad average at the same location. You didn't mention the band. Sometimes the signal strength will go up but speed down because it switch to 700mhz from 1900mhz
Old 03-09-2019, 03:34 PM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
I would run 3 speed tests on each ad average at the same location. You didn't mention the band. Sometimes the signal strength will go up but speed down because it switch to 700mhz from 1900mhz
Tested multiple times. Seeing same results Band 4 and Band 13. Not seeing meaningful difference in signal strengths between antenna variations. Don't have a calibrated source to test speeds but not seeing much of a difference.