RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman11 View Post
I plan to implement something similar to what Dave Bott did in his coach - Using VPN bonding with two carriers.

https://outsideourbubble.com/fast-rv...t-vpn-bonding/
Very interesting. Cellular bonding while not cheap does provide the absolute best internet experience on mobile platforms. Been used many years for live video broadcasts from moving vehicles.

For those with the resources and the need something like the PepLink MAX HD2/4 with MediaFast will do everything you need to bond either 2 or 4 cellular modems all in one box. Overkill for most needs in an RV but for folks who need this much throughput it is the top of the line. 4 LTE modems and 8 SIMS.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
You could probably do the same thing with 2 x MK1 BR2's with one feeding as WAN and the other as cellular. For example, unit 1 (primary unit for LAN/WIFI) has a cellular connection and is in priority 1. Unit 2 has a cellular connection and feeds unit 1 in the WAN port. Put the WAN connection also in priority 1 and now you have the same net result at far less cost/complexity.

Actually you don't even need two pepwaves, you can use a jetpack or mobley which Unit 1 picks up via WiFi and put the WiFi in priority 1 shared with cellular and you again have the same net result. Just not the good antennas a second pepwave would provide. Many ways to do this.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
You could probably do the same thing with 2 x MK1 BR2's with one feeding as WAN and the other as cellular. For example, unit 1 (primary unit for LAN/WIFI) has a cellular connection and is in priority 1. Unit 2 has a cellular connection and feeds unit 1 in the WAN port. Put the WAN connection also in priority 1 and now you have the same net result at far less cost/complexity.

Actually you don't even need two pepwaves, you can use a jetpack or mobley which Unit 1 picks up via WiFi and put the WiFi in priority 1 shared with cellular and you again have the same net result. Just not the good antennas a second pepwave would provide. Many ways to do this.
This is what I am doing. I have a NightHawk with 1GBe ethernet output going into the PepLink WAN, and another AT&T sim in the PepLink.

This does not help with single source download speeds (such as speed test) but does help with aggregated speeds (multi connection)

To test, I did a Peer-2-Peer BitTorrent test. I was able to download at 45Mbs with one, and at 72Mbs with both. Not double, but certainly faster!

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
This does not help with single source download speeds (such as speed test) but does help with aggregated speeds (multi connection)
If you use their SpeedFusion VPN they can get better single source speeds but requires an endpoint somewhere with enough bandwidth to connect to. You can get their FusionHub virtual appliance and install at a cloud provider to do this or run one at your home if you have the right setup there. I believe they give away a single user license now.
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
If you use their SpeedFusion VPN they can get better single source speeds but requires an endpoint somewhere with enough bandwidth to connect to. You can get their FusionHub virtual appliance and install at a cloud provider to do this or run one at your home if you have the right setup there. I believe they give away a single user license now.
I should look into this as my office has a Multi-Gig provider. That would be nice to tap into

Old 02-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #76

Quote:

Yes. Pulled up short on Dave's solution when I saw the WeBoost as part of the solution.

Neil, I think you are right. Another approach for bonding would be a cellular modem capable of T-Mobile Band 71 feeding to the current PepWave MAX LTE-A (Verizon) either as a "WAN" source or "WiFi as WAN" and bonded to the Verizon modem. No need to move on to the next version of the PepWave MAX with coverage of newer modem for Band 71. Next version of PepWave Max will likely have 4X4 MIMO but that may not provide much more speed over 2X2 MIMO.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
This is what I am doing. I have a NightHawk with 1GBe ethernet output going into the PepLink WAN, and another AT&T sim in the PepLink.

To test, I did a Peer-2-Peer BitTorrent test. I was able to download at 45Mbs with one, and at 72Mbs with both. Not double, but certainly faster!
Is the Nighthawk a WiFi gathering device only or does it pick up a cellar hotspot?
Canuck53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #78

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Is the Nighthawk a WiFi gathering device only or does it pick up a cellar hotspot?
It is a cellular hotspot, that has Wifi and Lan handoff. This is a Class 16 AT&T device, that really does a great job. I use my $20 mobley sim in this.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #79

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I just ordered a Pepwave BR1 MINI LTE-A ($399) from 5GStore.com (they changed the name). I知 going to keep both AT&T and Verizon active/active. I spoke with them about this prior to the order. They said put the BR1 Mini in IP pass through and connect to the MAX BR1 MK2 via ethernet (just like I had done with WFR which is now unplugged and never to be used again). With both Cellular (Vzw) and WAN (AT&T via BR1 MINI) it will load balance with both items in Priority 1 (which I verified with 5Gstore) as Peplink told me in the thread over there a few weeks ago. I just hate the switching back and forth and the time it takes. I probably could have gone with 2 x BR1 MINI痴 in the beginning but this is fine.

Stay tuned for why this came about (antenna testing) which I hope to post tonight. Moral is with the BR1 MINI you can use roof mounted MIMO antennas instead of an interior mobile hotspot device which I much prefer the roof mounted setup.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #80

Quote:
They said put the BR1 Mini in IP pass through and connect to the MAX BR1 MK2 via ethernet (just like I had done with WFR which is now unplugged and never to be used again).
What is "pass through"?
Old 02-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #81

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
What is "pass through"?

Not sure yet, have to review the manuals/docs. The one downside for me with load balancing is I need to know the IP address of my connection to allow access through my company Firewall. I値l figure it out...but load balancing would be huge for me. Where I am now Vzw sucks and AT&T is strong but they seem to both go up and down. I知 in a fringe area in storage.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
What is "pass through"?
In pass through mode it does not NAT but instead bridges and passes through the ip address assigned by the cell network. This eliminates double NAT and simplifies things significantly in the case where you already have an existing router, only downside is it can be more difficult to get to the admin pages on the passthrough.

Cradlepoints CBA850 is a dedicated passtrough device if you wanted to attempt to add their new CAT 18 modem to your existing Pepwave through a wan port: https://5gstore.com/product/8703_cra...ro_1_year.html
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #83

Quote:
Not sure yet, have to review the manuals/docs. The one downside for me with load balancing is I need to know the IP address of my connection to allow access through my company Firewall. I値l figure it out...but load balancing would be huge for me. Where I am now Vzw sucks and AT&T is strong but they seem to both go up and down. I知 in a fringe area in storage.
I agree load balancing across two carriers both with LTE-A is a big deal in rural areas. Really a big deal in western US where cell towers are far apart. I will probably follow you on the path. Please document when you figure it out.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #84

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am using pass thru on the nighthawk as well. JHarrell provided a good explanation of what it does.