Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #1

Carolina Campers
Options that are worth it

I am pricing out a new Bay Star 3406. I am trying my best to keep the price down. There are some options I need/want: solar prep, bunk windows, rear window, and a few more.

These options I want but wondering if I should buy them after or not at all:

1) 2 Blu-ray Disc Players: $172. I assume I can add my own aftermarket disc players but wondering if the wiring will be a pain - not in the sense on just hooking the player to the TV but if having it done at the factory will they do any cutouts prior and have that done and I wouldn't need deal with any cutouts

2) 6 way power drivers seat: $400. Seems like a nice feature but is the manual fine?

3) Fantastic Vent with rain sensor in kitchen and bathroom: $594. I like having a vent in both rooms but unsure if worth it

4) 1000 Watt Inverter run to TVs: $735.00. I am not that knowledgable in how inverters work but somewhat know a little. If I don't pick this option, what does it mean?

5) Wifi Ranger Skypro Pack Router: $1,088. My family and I are always looking for good wifi and this seems worth it...but I don't know my option if I don't purchase it

6) Plush Pillow Top Mattresses: $259. I am not picky about a bed too much but this sounds nice...Is it worth it?

7) Sirius Radio Capable: $228. I like Sirius and have used it in the past (only for those trial periods) but with everyone moving over to their smartphone "radios" is this worth adding?

I appreciate any feedback and please keep in mind I don't have unlimited funds; otherwise I would get it all. Looking for people who have these options and realize after a while that they weren't worth the price.

Specials: Only 3 I would want. Does anyone know the cost of these?
1) 12V in dash area
2) Keyless Entry (unsure if they would do this on the BayStar)
3) Add 2 120V/UBS outlets at the foot of each bunk - even if you don't have a bunkhouse model I assume someone has had these added to other areas?
jk70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #2

I myself couldn't see being worried about a couple grand in options if I was spending the money to buy a new unit. I'd be more worried about the depreciation as soon as I signed the papers

Only you can decide what options are worth the money to you.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk70 View Post
I am pricing out a new Bay Star 3406. I am trying my best to keep the price down. There are some options I need/want: solar prep, bunk windows, rear window, and a few more.

1) 2 Blu-ray Disc Players: $172. I assume I can add my own aftermarket disc players but wondering if the wiring will be a pain - not in the sense on just hooking the player to the TV but if having it done at the factory will they do any cutouts prior and have that done and I wouldn't need deal with any cutouts. My rig came without Blu-Ray so I'm adding it, but so far I really have very little need for them.

2) 6 way power drivers seat: $400. Seems like a nice feature but is the manual fine? I like power seats since they have more adjustment.

3) Fantastic Vent with rain sensor in kitchen and bathroom: $594. I like having a vent in both rooms but unsure if worth it. "Worth it" is up to you. Personally I've never had a MH without two Fantastic Fans.

4) 1000 Watt Inverter run to TVs: $735.00. I am not that knowledgable in how inverters work but somewhat know a little. If I don't pick this option, what does it mean? Without on inverter you can't run any 120 volt items unless you are connected to shore power or run the generator. One for just the TV's runs only the TV and maybe some other entertainment center items like a DVD player. We had that with our 2000 DSDP and ungraded to a 2000 watt whole house inverter after a year.

5) Wifi Ranger Skypro Pack Router: $1,088. My family and I are always looking for good wifi and this seems worth it...but I don't know my option if I don't purchase it. You can buy other systems for less, but installing and getting them operational can be problematic. Right now I need to go drill a 1" hole through my roof to route the WIFI and cell phone booster cables inside.

6) Plush Pillow Top Mattresses: $259. I am not picky about a bed too much but this sounds nice...Is it worth it? We got the pillow top option in the '02 DSDP, well worth the extra cost to us, it was more comfortable than the one in the house.

7) Sirius Radio Capable: $228. I like Sirius and have used it in the past (only for those trial periods) but with everyone moving over to their smartphone "radios" is this worth adding? Ours has it, as does the CR-V, have never activated it but might when/if I get to go full time. Not worth it to me right now.

I appreciate any feedback and please keep in mind I don't have unlimited funds; otherwise I would get it all. Looking for people who have these options and realize after a while that they weren't worth the price.

1) 12V in dash area
3) Add 2 120V/UBS outlets at the foot of each bunk - even if you don't have a bunkhouse model I assume someone has had these added to other areas?
See notes above.

Depreciation means nothing unless you're going to sell or trade soon.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
I myself couldn't see being worried about a couple grand in options if I was spending the money to buy a new unit. I'd be more worried about the depreciation as soon as I signed the papers

Only you can decide what options are worth the money to you.
I couldn't agree more!
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:06 PM   #5

If you plan to cook inside your coach, would highly recommend a fantastic vent in the kitchen.
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I just have a comment on the wifi ranger. Getting a better signal doesn't get you better wifi. The wifi in the parks I've been to are terrible even if you're sitting next to the router in the clubhouse. They buy the lowest speed, no way you can stream video with them. Why bother? Thousand bucks? Ridiculous Then they offer another antenna that gets you cell service, but you need to subscribe to that cell service, not your own. Pretty sad offerings for RV if you ask me.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

1) 2 Blu-ray Disc Players: $172. I assume I can add my own aftermarket disc players but wondering if the wiring will be a pain - not in the sense on just hooking the player to the TV but if having it done at the factory will they do any cutouts prior and have that done and I wouldn't need deal with any cutouts

2) 6 way power drivers seat: $400. Seems like a nice feature but is the manual fine?

3) Fantastic Vent with rain sensor in kitchen and bathroom: $594. I like having a vent in both rooms but unsure if worth it

4) 1000 Watt Inverter run to TVs: $735.00. I am not that knowledgable in how inverters work but somewhat know a little. If I don't pick this option, what does it mean?

5) Wifi Ranger Skypro Pack Router: $1,088. My family and I are always looking for good wifi and this seems worth it...but I don't know my option if I don't purchase it

6) Plush Pillow Top Mattresses: $259. I am not picky about a bed too much but this sounds nice...Is it worth it?

7) Sirius Radio Capable: $228. I like Sirius and have used it in the past (only for those trial periods) but with everyone moving over to their smartphone "radios" is this worth adding?

1) 12V in dash area

I'll preface my response by saying I'm not a fan of today's tech add ons and prefer the "manual ones" instead....with a few exceptions:

The USB outlets are purely a personal thing.

The 6 way power seat seems unnecessary

Sirius radio capable is a good thing IMHO

Pillow top mattress good too

WIFI options...hard to know- many, many good aftermarket systems out there...do your dilegence

Inverters for tv's? Well, unless you opt for a non propane unit and have a residential fridge, I'd say no to this.

Fantastic vent- yes...I added these after we bought our rig- they were not an option at the time..

Blu ray? Well up to you. Again, many aftermarket choices and they all add a certain amount of complexity to your rig. Mine was made before there was such a thing and I don't miss it even though we have it at home. I guess we spend most of our time outside anyway. Good luck with your choices...and- have fun whatever you do!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We had the option of bunk windows on our Canyon Star and did not choose them. The reasoning was we didn't want the kids to wake up with the sun, which they do in the S&B. That worked very well
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:34 PM   #9

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
We had the option of bunk windows on our Canyon Star and did not choose them. The reasoning was we didn't want the kids to wake up with the sun, which they do in the S&B. That worked very well
I have to have windows in the bunk. The more windows in an RV the more happy my wife and I are. We saw some Newmars (and other brands) that had the rear bedroom window - we thought that was huge.

We considered the Jayco Precept 36T but hate that they don't have windows in the bunks.

I found out that the RV has power vents in the kitchen and bathroom but can upgrade to fantastic vents with rain sensor...Is that worth it? Before I made it sound like there may have been no vents but there is some
jk70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:54 AM   #10

Just ordered a Bay Star 3113. Went through the same thing. Thoughts below:

Quote:
1) 2 Blu-ray Disc Players: $172.
I thought the standard DVD players came with component connections. Still not positive but think they might come with HDMI. If I knew that, I'd have skipped the Bluray players and bought my own. In any case, they not only play movie but can play Netflix, Amazon Video, etc. but need a wired internet connection. Again, wifi would be better.

We got it. Nice to fine tune the seating position. No memory function but otherwise worth it IMHO.

Considering they are wired with the controllers on the wall and how well these function at moving air (i.e. keeping the coach cool) seems like a bargain.

Without this, you'll have no inverter. No 120 volt outlets will work on battery power. With this option, the TV's and a few outlets near them will work. If you plan on being on shore power most/all of the time, maybe skip it. If you plan to dry camp/boondock, it's essential if you want to watch TV, power other devices like routers, etc.

You can purchase this exact router setup for about $450. Way over priced in my estimation. You can get portable antenna options so no holes in roof if you wish. And honestly, it doesn't make wifi any faster. It just amplifies nearby signals that are probably slow and suffering from not enough bandwidth. A WeBoost system to bring in cel signals would be a better choice but don't get the Winegard option. You have to use their overpriced and under powered data plan.

We plan to swap this for a sleep number or similar. We didn't get it. I think you're still getting substandard mattress but with a pillow top but depends on how often you'll use it. We'll be full time so...

Never liked Sirius. Personal thing. Worth it if you like it but as you stated, plenty of other option out there.

1) 12V in dash area I believe there are a couple of 12 volts plugs on the dash and in the drivers area.
2) Keyless Entry (unsure if they would do this on the BayStar) Ask but in our experience Newmar won't upgrade stuff like that on Bay Stars.
3) Add 2 120V/UBS outlets at the foot of each bunk - even if you don't have a bunkhouse model I assume someone has had these added to other areas? Again, in our experience Newmar won't change stuff like this. We were denied all our electrical requests. I assume the margin on Bay Stars is thin and doing all the extra work is cost prohibitive. Plus, they need to keep the model lines distinct. If you could turn a Bay Star into a mini Dutch Star, why would anyone buy a Dutch Star?
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #11

Here are my opinions based on how we've been using our 3401 Baystar so far:

1) 2 Blu-ray Disc Players: $172. I assume I can add my own aftermarket disc players but wondering if the wiring will be a pain - not in the sense on just hooking the player to the TV but if having it done at the factory will they do any cutouts prior and have that done and I wouldn't need deal with any cutouts Don't know if you can get it prewired, but if you can, I'd do that and buy my own players. We have yet to use the one in the bedroom.

2) 6 way power drivers seat: $400. Seems like a nice feature but is the manual fine? I like it on ours, but haven't tried it without, so hard to say for sure.

3) Fantastic Vent with rain sensor in kitchen and bathroom: $594. I like having a vent in both rooms but unsure if worth it We use ours a lot! And I like that they'll close up if it starts to rain.

4) 1000 Watt Inverter run to TVs: $735.00. I am not that knowledgable in how inverters work but somewhat know a little. If I don't pick this option, what does it mean? We don't have this, but I have a small 300 watt inverter that I'm going to use on the rare occasion we're not connected to shore power and can't use the generator and want to use TV. We have the residential fridge and 1000 watt inverter for that.

5) Wifi Ranger Skypro Pack Router: $1,088. My family and I are always looking for good wifi and this seems worth it...but I don't know my option if I don't purchase it Don't have it, and wouldn't want to pay that much for it when there are better options for less.

6) Plush Pillow Top Mattresses: $259. I am not picky about a bed too much but this sounds nice...Is it worth it? We find the standard mattress to be quite comfy.

7) Sirius Radio Capable: $228. I like Sirius and have used it in the past (only for those trial periods) but with everyone moving over to their smartphone "radios" is this worth adding? We have it and will never use it. I'd rather use my Iphone or Ipod and do streaming music or play my own.

Like I said, my options only. I would say that if there is something you think you want, it's probably easier to get it installed by Newmar than doing it yourself or upgrading down the road. Good luck with your decisions, hope you like yours as much as we like ours!
Old 08-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I'd say do them all because after your discount on the new coach there prices are just a little high and to have them stand behind everything its well worth the little extra money... That's just how I think...
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #13

2, 3, and 4 if I was buyin'
trenchmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
John,

I will try to answer inline since I just went through all of this for the same Bay Star 3406 as well.

Bill

Quote:

I skipped these figuring I could either replace with a better Blu-ray DVD player or use Plex Media Server like at home. From my research on ComNet, the regular DVD is wired with HDMI anyway, so this should be an easy swap.

I thought this was a nicety for longer drives, to fine tune my comfort.

From all I have heard and read about Fantastic Fans, I thought this was a smart decision to upgrade.

I did option this, but am not sure if it was the best move. We will see.

Outside of the warranty coverage of the installation by Newmar, I don't see value in this. It can be accomplished in other ways and cheaper. Personally I am looking at a 4g Router, such as Cradlepoint or PepWave, that can perform WiFi as WAN (WAW) in case I want to work from the RV.

I optioned to have the wiring installed for a Sleep Number bed, but that is a personal preference on that type of bed.

I personally like Sirius so I optioned this in. You could stream Bluetooth audio from another device.

1) 12V in dash area

I added a 12v outlet in the middle of the dash for a dash cam.

Don't think Newmar will do this, but never hurts to ask

I asked and was approved for this.

Don't forget to consider asking for the 24k chassis, which I did and was approved for. It added substantially to the CCC of the unit.
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote