Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #1

OR resident buying in MI

Does anyone know the rules on title/registration when buying an RV from another state? We're driving to Michigan to pick out our Mountain Aire and need to register it in OR. We've seen conflicting info on how long we have to get home and register it to avoid the MI sales taxes.
One source was 10 days the other 14 days.
4zebras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2018, 12:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If buying private party call your dmv. If from a dealer they should know and reg. it for you. I heard OR added a .5% tax on MH, is this true?
Old 05-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
If buying private party call your dmv. If from a dealer they should know and reg. it for you. I heard OR added a .5% tax on MH, is this true?
Not sure about that...my husband decided to run over to the DMV so I'll update you soon.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #4

Quote:
The Transportation Fees (really a "Luxury Tax") only apply to new vehicles that are 26,000 pounds or Less.

Not sure how they swung that, bit I think the trucking and RV folks in Oregon may have gotten that exception in place.

I take delivery on my 44,700 pound (GVWR) coach on Wednesday, and very glad it doesn't apply.
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #5

OR is the only local that can tell you what you have to do, call them.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:36 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Oregon View Post
The Transportation Fees (really a "Luxury Tax") only apply to new vehicles that are 26,000 pounds or Less.

Not sure how they swung that, bit I think the trucking and RV folks in Oregon may have gotten that exception in place.

I take delivery on my 44,700 pound (GVWR) coach on Wednesday, and very glad it doesn't apply.
Congratulation on the new coach. Is that the one in your signature or do you have a newer one?
Old 05-14-2018, 10:59 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Oregon View Post

I've been scratching my head over that as well...
But with our current Govenator ... who knows..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Congratulation on the new coach. Is that the one in your signature or do you have a newer one?
A new one, haven't changed the signature yet. I'm a newbie here.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We'll be in a similar situation in a little over a month when we pick up our new MADP in Colorado. Our dealer (Transwest) has told us they will give us a 30-day trip permit when we pick up the coach. That will serve as a registration and license plate for the coach until we get home to register it. I'd be surprised if Michigan do something very similar. As your dealer; they will know.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:16 AM   #10

Oregon DMV is a good place to start.

Michigan DMV may also have a say in the matter.

There are some variables. Are you buying from a dealer or private party? Is the vehicle currently registered?

As an Oregon resident I know that trying to buy a vehicle in California from a dealer and drive it to Oregon ranges from difficult to impossible. In one instance I was able to have the dealer sell the car to a friend, who has a dealers license, and then issue a one day permit to drive it up. More recently, I had another dealer refuse any option other than having the vehicle delivered to Oregon via truck at tremendous expense.

Washington on the other hand makes the process very simple. We purchased our coach there from a private party and drive it home the next day. We also purchased a car from a dealer in Washington and they simply issued a 3 day permit.

The moral of the story is, check with the DMV in both states.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #11
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
If you are buying from a private party, then you will have to go to the Michigan DMV to get the trip permit. Even so, that should be easy to accomplish.

If you are buying from a dealer, they will handle it for you.

This kind of thing is done every day; don't let it worry you.

TJ
Old 05-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #12

Quote:
It's the one in our signature.

Just this week, I removed the (Delivery in May).

We have planned a 5-day schedule of training, learning, playing and some sleeping (likely not much), starting tomorrow.
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The rules vary a lot! We bought in OR from a consignment dealer, they handled the whole transaction. In fact, WA law required that, I couldn't touch the paperwork or the use tax check. It had to be sent to WA state via mail. We did keep our license plate as it wss a regular plate converted to a vanity plate. Just called the WA DMV and had them transfer the plate, then handeled the paperwork when we got back home.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #14
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
...WA law required that, I couldn't touch the paperwork or the use tax check. It had to be sent to WA state via mail.
Interesting! We bought our current coach in Oregon in 2015. It was also a consignment sale by a dealer. We were given a 12-day trip permit and sent on our way. No advance payment of Washington fees required.

When we got home to Washington, I went to the local DOL office (we have a Department of Licensing rather than a DMV) and, did the paperwork and paid the fees. Absolutely no issues.

TJ

Tags
buying