Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2016, 11:17 PM   #1

Ordered Dutch Star at Hershey without heat pad for holding tank

Just ordered our first MH at the Hershey show. A Dutch Star 4369 on a Spartan chassis. Going over the build sheet and see that I did not order the 110 heating pad for the holding tank. I think it's located in the control valve compartment. Has anyone used this? Is it for when you are not using heat and storing the RV or when using the heating.I know the heat also heates the lower compartments. Is it worth adding this option for $329 or do I just buy electric heater and plug it in. I plan on winterizing it in the winter months but we may use it to drive to Florida from New Jersey sometimes in the winter.

Peter
MrBigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2016, 11:34 PM   #2

I have the heat pads , and only use them when staying in the coach in freezing temperatures; couple of nights on the road heading south, mostly because they came with the coach.
Does the coach have the water bay heat duct to the water bay, from the furnace ; and a booster fan for that duct?
If you have the booster fan , and only travel in cold temperatures occasionally , you should do just fine without the pads.
The pads would be quieter if you were staying in cold temps for a long time , and not paying for the power.
I can hear my booster fan running when in use , but that could be due to the age of the unit.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:09 AM   #3

My Baystar has a duct from the furnace to the basement tank area...it works fine as long as you are using the furnace to heat the motor home. If not put a small space heater in the tank area. I don't stay long anywhere where it gets that cold.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:54 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigFish View Post
Just ordered our first MH at the Hershey show. A Dutch Star 4369 on a Spartan chassis. Going over the build sheet and see that I did not order the 110 heating pad for the holding tank. I think it's located in the control valve compartment. Has anyone used this? Is it for when you are not using heat and storing the RV or when using the heating.I know the heat also heates the lower compartments. Is it worth adding this option for $329 or do I just buy electric heater and plug it in. I plan on winterizing it in the winter months but we may use it to drive to Florida from New Jersey sometimes in the winter.

Peter
Hi Peter, congrads on your new DS
I have the pads on my Mountain Aire, had it since '09, camped in 20 deg. weather, basement heated, never turned on the heating pads. When it gets really cold out, I also run a small cube heater in the basement to help keep it warm along with the basement heat. So, I am not to sure if I would worry about the heating pads. Make sure to post some photo's of your new Coach when you get it!
Old 09-20-2016, 04:10 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congrats on your new Dutch Star!

We ordered ours without the tank pads. We expect to be fine without them.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:57 AM   #6

Congrats on your new purchase, we live in RI and ordered our DS4018 with heating pads. My logic was in the big picture how much is $329 going to add to my monthly payments, and have no worries. Good luck
67vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Congratulations on your Newmar and welcome to the forum and irv2.
Traveled many years to FL. during winter months and the furnace always kept the tank bays toasty warm.
Now if your going north put a insulated pad on the bottom of your water bay when you do so.
Below in my signature you will find links to many more for info for your Newmar.
Enjoy the coach and forum and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:25 AM   #8

I can hardly imagine me ever using a heated pad for the water tank- obviously I don't have the option either. The DS is so well insulated (and the basement is heated). Besides if temps were that insanely cold that you need to protect many gallons of water wouldn't you be more worried about a water line?
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:37 AM   #9

I sure hope you have better luck with RVone than I did. Stay on top of them and good luck. You'll love your DS!
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most of the water lines are in the insulated ceiling of lower compartments if you are going to be in a cold freezing area for long the insulated blanket on floor of water bay will help the exposed piping behind the panel board where your heat is also from furnace.
Have camped in northern Maine in cold weather with no problems in fresh water tank or pump and piping.
Here is some more on winter travel and winterizing and one on winter camping in a Newmar.
Enjoy your Newmar where ever you go and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, heat, tank