Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 11:36 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ordered VTDP 3412, Now What?

Just ordered a VTDP 3412. Should be in by March. Couple of questions:

1. How do I stop thinking about it all the time?

2. What should I be doing to prepare? (I'm a first time Class A owner)
Waywards is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Get an electrical drop put in your garage(or outside post/house), so that you can plug in while loading. 50A is great, 30A minimum. If you are going to park/store at the house, think through where to park. If your know where you are going to park it and there is sewer pipe nearby, I'd put a drop in the sewer so you can dump your tanks when you get home from a trip.

Start investigating Progressive Industries for 50 surge/voltage protection (built in or portable), as well as a TPMS system (couple different manufacturers you can choose from). Perfect holiday presents for you. Plates, silverware, pots, toaster, coffeemaker....perfect holiday presents for spouse.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Get an account on Newgle and read your owners manuals

Read these forums

Get your sales team or factory contacts to keep you updated on the build schedule so you can go to the factory to watch

Plan your first trips!
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #4

After taking delivery of my Ventana 3434, my must haves were TPMS for all 10 wheels, progressive ind. surge protection, Garmin RV760.

Later I installed a Mor Ride sliding tray for storage, GE Advantium oven, and replaced the Norcold with the Samsung res. fridge.

If I can recommend one thing for you, buy the extended warranty for the Dometic AC units. Saved me a ton of money.

Happy camping.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeward_aa View Post
Just ordered a VTDP 3412. Should be in by
We are considering the VTDP 3412 as well - interested in a few things you may be able to help with.

Did you see/drive the 3412 before ordering?

Did you get the residential fridge?
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:36 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We drove a 37. The 34's are hard to get as I'm sure you discovered. They drive similar. I don't think I can sense the length of a vehicle. Test drive a Vendana. I'm told all the models drive similar. From the few I've driven, I would agree.

Options:

Yes, we ordered the residential fridge. The RV fridges are trouble. Just do it.

Also, order the mechanical slide locks. This can be up to 3,000 dollars extra depending on the number of slides. You don't want to be fooling around with manual lock out arms. They can be hard to actuate and if you forget to release them before operating the slides it can cause damage. Seriously, just check the box and don't look at the cost.

Here's a video link to how they work:

Fiberglass roof is optional but really it isn't. It's a $1200 option and worth every penny.

Places where you can save money.

Auto generator start: don't need it unless you intend to live in it. It can cause problems as well. I've heard stories of the AGS left on and stored. Come back in the Spring and your tanks are empty and you've got 300 hours on the geny.

Energy Management System: Sounds nice but really, you can't figure out what to turn off when you trip a breaker?

I opted not to tile the bedroom. It's a $2500 option. On a 34, the bathroom is before the bedroom. On 40's where there is a bathroom in the back, there's a wear path in front of the bed. In the 40's it probably makes sense to tile the bedroom. Not so much in a 34.

Lose the hose reels.

Lose the slide out trays.

I skipped the satellite stuff.

I did get an auto directional TV antenna. It doesn't go up or down like the bat wing antennas so there's no forgetting to lower it and having it strike something (and tear off).

http://www.winegard.com/rayzarauto
Old 10-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2, all new to be owners.
Here is a link to Newmar and all the people you may want to talk to for any upgrades'
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide.
All the links below in my signature will have info for your Newmar.
If your going to put in power outlet make sure you read the threads in this link so you do not burn out your electronics of your new Newmar.
If you need more check out the COM_NET instructions and get lost in information.
You have plenty of reading now so enjoy and a welcome to the Newmar family.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:14 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
in this link is broken
Old 10-22-2016, 06:06 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeward_aa View Post
Just ordered a VTDP 3412. Should be in by March. Couple of questions:

1. How do I stop thinking about it all the time?

2. What should I be doing to prepare? (I'm a first time Class A owner)
1. You don't. We take delivery on MONDAY and I've been obsessing for a couple months now. My wife is to the "enough already" point, but now she's thinking she may need to start reading some stuff.

2. Read read read. First timer here too, and we're going straight into full time...well after a month or so of getting to know the coach. Agree with the other comments, get the owners manuals and start reading. You'll have a big checklist for delivery...I certainly do.

On the options stuff, I'm not trying to make this sound bad but if you're spending round about 200k on a motorhome, saving a few hundred or a couple thousand doesn't make much sense in the long run. Get what you want, the costs are minimal in the big picture. We didn't order, we found one on a dealer lot that was optioned very well and we actually got a few things I wouldn't have considered. I'll post a bigger review once we're actually in it, but all the options Mike listed as must-haves, I totally agree with. I'd suggest the electric reels are worth it, and I would add in the remote basement locks. We also have the 15k ac units and the polar pak, which from the suggestions on here is an extremely nice-to-have.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Agreed, I ordered the polar pak and 15K units as well. Forgot to list them. The locks actually interested me. I can't remember what the cost was, however. Was it 4K? Reels looked nice but it was over 1K for both reels. I get what you're saying about order what you want. I figure the reels can be ordered later if I find I'm wanting them. Door locks probably can't be retro fitted.

I'll look into the door locks again. It does sound neat.

Some of this money I'm saving is for accessories I'm thinking are more important.

1. Tire pressure monitor system
2. Huges Autoformer
3. Better Quality Jack Pads
4. RV specific GPS
Old 10-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Locks can NOT easily be added later, and I'm told that it is a very popular (expectation) in the used market now.
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I looked it up. It's 2K. With the discount, it's more like 1.5K. Called my salesman
Old 10-22-2016, 03:20 PM   #13

We got our 3412 in July. Love it. Got almost all the options mentioned. Door locks a must IMO.Res fridge and tile also.Love the hose reels.
jheckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:49 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Dammit, I hate you people. Here I was all done with options and now I'm adding keyless entry and those darn hose wheels. Thanks a lot!

I'm kidding of course