Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #1

Our 2013 Dutch Star

Well it as been 7 days and 1000 miles since we took possession of our Newmar, now it's time for a review.

We traded in a 03 Fleetwood Providence 38U. We loved the coach but it was time for an upgrade. We live in it for work.

We custom ordered a 2013 Dutch Star 4347, all electric with a bath and half.

First up: What we would add that we didn't.

Kitchen window: We thought it was small and pointless, but the added natural light would be nice.

Cord reel: I thought I could mount my air compressor in the upper part of the compartment, nope. So I'll add one later, price was the same either way.

Bigger living room window (behind recliners): She would have liked to have them, I don't. I feel the added height makes it harder for others to look in while we're gone.

Second: Things we don't like.

Microwave: Seems weak and cheap. Very underpowered, won't pop popcorn on it own popcorn settings. No timer while baking (somebody should be slapped for this).

Shower faucet: We didn't know anybody still made 2 handle shower faucet. With no shutoff on the head Navy showering is fun trying to keep temps up.

Safe: Just big enough to annoy you with what won't fit.

Thankfully that is a small list.

Third: Things we're unsure of.

Electric toilets? Seems like a solution seeking a problem. I understand that the waste must travel, but the old style lasted 10 years.
I will add they work very well, though. We'll leave it at that.

Auto setting thermostat: It will run the AC then switch to heat pump and level the temp. Not always, but it is noticeable and weird.

In the middle: The recliners, they're not the ones used in the 4318 floor plan. Which was what we used to choose the recliners. They're comfortable, for sure, just not the style we like.

Ever thing else we are totally happy with. Layout, drive ability, custom cabinets, drive ability, 2 bathrooms, king size bed, drive ability, stacked washer dryer, keyless entry, drive ability, electric compartment locks, exterior colors, real refrigerator and drive ability.

The dishwasher is so quiet that you don't even know its on. The disappearing table is cool as heck.

Have I mentioned it's drive ability? I don't know if it was the tag axle or the comfort steering. But it took me 200 miles before I realized we had 20 mph side wind. No blowing around in the lane or feel the trucks pass.

150 gallon fuel tank got us from Rapid City SD to St. Louis MO on one tank. 918 miles on 114.295 gallons of fuel. Genny was run for 3 hours, Oasis ran as well on the same tank.

Weights fully loaded with water and fuel full. On a cat scale.

Front: 15480

Rear: 16520

Tag: 8000

Toad: 4700

Enough jabber now pictures:

Slides in:

Midway pinch point:

Rear bath and walk in closet:

Slides open:

Table and TV deployed:

No real problems to report, none. Can't even find a water leak.

Newmar will need to replace the passenger seat. Something got sprayed on it and the dealer could not clean it. Mid States has already talked to Newmar about it.

When we run up to Nappenee we'll have them look at the entry door. I feel that we have to almost slam it to get it to fully latch.

That's it, no muss no fuss. Very happy with our choice and don't have a second thought in our heads.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
All Newmars are "custom order", they don't make a spec unit, they're all ordered (and paid for at delivery) by someone whether it be the buyer or dealer. Some dealers will order units with equipment/options they know will sell though.
We ordered our 2000 DSDP as our retirement rig, found a few things we didn't like: wife wanted more slides and I wanted more HP/torque.
So we ordered the 2002, did pretty well on it too, in fact I can hardly get the DW to go look at new ones.
We ordered the GE Advantium 120 and deleted the gas oven, an over $700 option in 2002. Never regretted it yet.
Just replaced the old CRT TV's with LED and LCD ones. Also removed the hide a bed and replaced it with two La Z Boy recliners, also replaced the OEM recliner with another La Z Boy while we were at it.

I see only one cat in the pictures, we did take seven with us untill we had to put the oldest down a few months ago. Wife is lobying for another Japanese Bobtail (we have two now).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #3

On ours the pantry and the cabinet the TV is in were built just for this coach. We sat down with John at Newmar and pick the layout.

The cat we adopted from a friends garage. He doesn't get along with other animals very well. He is starting to get used to the tile floor. He runs and slides (on purpose) for the fun of it.

I don't see us moving out of this one for a very long time. I hope to see 150,000 on the clock.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nice coach. Microwave sounds like it's a bad one. Make them replace it.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:32 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
PDR John,

Nice write-up and pictures.

We had issues with our oven as well and after the Frigidaire people replaced the control board once which did not fix the problem and then after two (2) more attempts to replace parts (another control board, the thermister and the thermostat) it was still not fixed. The Frigidaire guy that finally came out the last time said that if this did not do it, he really did not know what other parts to try. Basically he was stumped.

Bottom line is I think I just had a bad oven … “a lemon”. The convection oven part would not heat properly. As an example, at 350 it only got to 200 and at 425 it only got to 350.

So I finally contacted Newmar and without any hesitation they are sending me a replacement oven. Should arrive today. I have Frigidaire Model # CFMV154CLSA which looks just like the one in your pictures. Let's hope this one is a winner.

Steve

ps ... we are looking at the DS 4018 and was wondering how you like the full wall slide on your unit? Any concerns with it?
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Very nice, I'm envious.
Attached Images

JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #7

I'll look into the microwave a little more.

JC2, thanks.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I bet it drives real nice too.
Congrats. Looks great.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Very nice and well equipped - Safe travels
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Very nice and sharp! Love the teeth on the front!
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #11

Thanks everyone.

I read the microwave manual this time and can now set the timer in oven mode. It still won't pop popcorn on it's own though. We're going to put in an oven thermometer to check oven temps. The wife had to finish the meat loaf on the dual setting. 1 hour and it was still raw.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:13 AM   #12

John!!!

So good to hear the update! I've been gone a while and just saw your post! I know how excited you have been, and now it is finally here.

Sounds fantastic! Love to hear about the drivability, have read several other posts on how great that Comfort Drive is. And I am still fascinated by that "disappearing table"...

Great pics. Look forward to continued updates.

Many safe and blessed travels to you.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #13

SOOOOOOOOoooooo envious: thumb: Wish my DW would let meeeeeeee
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
John you do have the convection/Micro combination???
My ten year old one has baked a chicken pie this weekend and cakes and casseroles like it was in my gas oven at home.
I can bake or fast bake its the best GE model.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote