Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Our 2013 Dutch Star 4018 in Production

We went to Newmar for the past two days to see our 2013 Dutch Star 4018 in production. What a fabulous time. A few pictures are attached.

We were really lucky. We showed up at the time for the daily tour at 10:00 a.m. on Thursday and we were the only ones to be on the tour. Our tour guide, Michelle Howard, allowed us to spend all the time we wanted checking out our coach on the line and talking to the guys working on it. Michelle is very knowledgeable and was able to answer all of our questions about the production and the workers.

We must have talked to at least seven or eight of the workers and they were all very happy to talk to us. Most of the workers building our coach appeared to be Amish. Every one of them were really, really nice -- no pressure not to talk to us and answer all of our questions. The more questions we had, the more they rose to the occasion. They definitely took pride in their knowledge and experience and were very proud of their work (justifiably so). We were careful not to take pictures of the Amish and Mennonite workers.

What was most amazing to us, again and again, is how quickly and how efficiently they work as a team. Our coach started out in Building 7 on Tuesday and by the time we rolled in on Thursday, it was completely down the front line, the superstructure was completely built, the roof was installed, the front and rear caps done and it was on the back line getting the slides installed, the AC/heat pump units put on, the exterior mirrors installed. In just the time we had to spend on Thursday, from 10:00 a.m. till 12:30 p.m., then back again from 3:00 p.m. till about 3:45, we got to see a lot of work done.

While we were there on Thursday, we saw them finish and install the full wall slide, install the two curb side slides, install all cabinets, all furniture and all windows. It was just amazing to watch these guys work. Each guy knows his job to a "T" and to see how these guys work together is nothing less than impressive. You watch as the group leader calls out a simple command and four or five guys converge to do a team task -- such as installing the full wall slide or putting the fiberglass skin on it.

One minute we were watching the guy finish screwing the cabinets into to the full wall slide, gluing and taping the carpet and moving it on its wheels to the installation crew -- the next minute the group leader calls out his command to convene the crew to put the full wall slide into the coach -- the hydraulic lifts are brought in, the five crew members converge, the slide is lifted up to the opening in the coach, lined up, secured, hooked up and made operational. The fiberglass siding is put into placed, four guys glue and screw it to the side. Six windows are positioned into the openings, glued and screwed in place.

How much time did all of this take? You are not going to believe it. No more than 15 minutes, start to finish! Unbelievable. Cause these guys work so closely and so quickly. And when you watch these guys work, you have real confidence that they not only have the knowledge and experience to do it right but that you got a perfect installation.

We then took PDR John's recommendation and asked Michelle if we could see the paint shop in operation and, because of no other tour guests, she gave us a great tour there.

Just a fascinating process, from complete painting prep and sanding to application of base coat, all stripe painting, clear coating, baking, repair and final inspection. These guys are just wizards. Fun to see the guys on stilts doing the prep and paint work on the top parts of the coaches!

We finished up for lunch by checking out some of the coaches in the final inspection area, getting ready for release and transport to dealers (or factory delivery). To see what they catch for adjustment or repair on the final punch list is itself a fascination process. These are very fussy tailors!

We came back in the afternoon after lunch and running a few errands and we got to see the coach with all stuff completed before going into wheel alignment and then painting prep. By that point, we had witnessed a chassis with superstructure but no slides grow into a real motorhome with all three slides installed and operational, all windows, cabinets, appliances, furniture installed and having the look of the colors, countertops and fabrics we selected. What a transformation.

Today, Friday, we again had the good luck to be the only ones to show for tour. Again, we had our wonderful friend Michelle Howard as our guide and we got to check out our Dutch Star again. Since the crew starts at 6:00 a.m., we got to see how much work gets done in four hours -- and it's a lot.

By the time we were ready to leave by noon, the coach was in alignment, off the air blocks by which it is moved throughout the plant before painting occurs, the engine was running (oh my, how incredibly sweet that sound!!!) and she was headed for paint. Michelle promised to get us pictures as we go through paint and other work is completed and we definitely look forward to those.

Our biggest hope at this point is that the good weather (50-55 degrees yesterday and today in Nappanee) will hold -- or at least not diminish too much -- by the time we get back to Newmar on February 11 for factory delivery.

Deek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1663.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	31729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1668.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	31730  

Name:	IMG_1678.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	31731   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1874.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	31732  

Name:	IMG_1671.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	31733   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1779.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	31734  

Name:	IMG_1677.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	31735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1689.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	31736  

Name:	IMG_1787.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	31737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1695.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	31738  

”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Few more pics.

Deek
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1680.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	31739   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1683.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	31740  

Name:	IMG_1781.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	31741   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	31742  

Name:	IMG_1795.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	353.9 KB
ID:	31743   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1710.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	31744  

Name:	IMG_1717.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	31745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1796.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	31746  

Name:	IMG_1857.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	451.1 KB
ID:	31747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1852.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	31748  

”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for posting the info and pic's of your new Newmar Deek, between you and PDR John's informative threads new wanna-be's will have some good incite of what Newmar is all about.
Congratulations on your new Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Deek ... great write-up and pictures. Thanks for posting them. Also thanks for checking out our coach while you were there as well. Here are a few of the shots that you and Michelle took and sent to us. Only wish we could of gotten up there to see ours come down the line like you did. Can't wait to get there on February 4th for the factory delivery experience.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0108.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	31773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	31774  

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	31775   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0113.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	31776  

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	31777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0122.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	31778  

FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Great Info

Thanks for the pics and write up.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #6

Great pics Deek! Excited for you!! That full wall slide is impressive. Did the tour guide say the header was beefier than normal?

I ordered my 2000 Dutch Star, but didn't get to the factory until 2002 for Newmar sales training. We had a 2nd private tour as well, got to shoot some staples into the sub-floor on one of our ordered stock coaches and had a good time getting up close and personal in all areas of the factory.

I've also gone through the Monaco/HR chassis and house factory in Wakarusa and the Beaver house and fiberglass factories in Bend during sales training. I definitely thought the Newmar factory was the most impressive. Although the sheer size of the Roadmaster chassis factory was memorable, though. Of course, I got a lot of grief from a Monaco VP during sales training for owning a Newmar!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Regan View Post
Great pics Deek! Excited for you!! That full wall slide is impressive. Did the tour guide say the header was beefier than normal?

I ordered my 2000 Dutch Star, but didn't get to the factory until 2002 for Newmar sales training. We had a 2nd private tour as well, got to shoot some staples into the sub-floor on one of our ordered stock coaches and had a good time getting up close and personal in all areas of the factory.

I've also gone through the Monaco/HR chassis and house factory in Wakarusa and the Beaver house and fiberglass factories in Bend during sales training. I definitely thought the Newmar factory was the most impressive. Although the sheer size of the Roadmaster chassis factory was memorable, though. Of course, I got a lot of grief from a Monaco VP during sales training for owning a Newmar!
Thanks, Jeff. You and I exchanged emails back and forth some years ago when we first got the MH bug and your comments then were most helpful.

We really had a blast at Newmar as I said, and you can just tell that these guys know what they're doing and do it very well.

Like others have said on the Newmar Owners' Forum, all of these comments and pictures are helpful to us as we go about making our decisions. I am very glad that we can add a little something to the discussion.

Again, thanks for your comments. As always, they are right on the mark.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #8

Congrats.

Very cool. I'm happy to see things are progressing well.

How would you like to lay those stripes.

Name:	IMG_6416.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	31784

One can not type enough good things about Newmar's employees. Just an all around great group of people.

Skmwalden, yours looks great. Time is getting close, are flying or driving up?

I really like that living room in the 4318/4018.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Skmwalden, yours looks great. Time is getting close, are flying or driving up?
Here is the plan ... last weekend we cleaned out all our stuff from the Ventana and turned it into the dealer for our trade. We now have MH stuff in several rooms of our house mostly packed in boxes. We will rent a small U-haul trailer to load it all into and haul it from Florida up to Nappanee with our Jeep GC for the factory delivery. Once all the stuff is transferred into the MH, will turn in the U-haul and head back to Florida in our new ride towing the Jeep. It is a full two (2) days of driving to to get up there. Will take our time coming home!!

Steve
Old 01-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #10

Deek,

I'm glad I could help out in some small way, that's what's great about RVers sharing info at the virtual campfire!

I'll never forget the first time I walked into a Ventana full wall slide--I was stunned at the huge expanse! Very dramatic indeed.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmwalden View Post
Here is the plan ... last weekend we cleaned out all our stuff from the Ventana and turned it into the dealer for our trade. We now have MH stuff in several rooms of our house mostly packed in boxes. We will rent a small U-haul trailer to load it all into and haul it from Florida up to Nappanee with our Jeep GC for the factory delivery. Once all the stuff is transferred into the MH, will turn in the U-haul and head back to Florida in our new ride towing the Jeep. It is a full two (2) days of driving to to get up there. Will take our time coming home!!

Steve

Sounds like a perfect plan to me. Look forward to reading about your trip.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skmwalden View Post
Here is the plan ... Once all the stuff is transferred into the MH, will turn in the U-haul and head back to Florida in our new ride towing the Jeep.

Michelle Howard told us that Newmar offers customers indoor space to load their belongings into their RVs. I think this is a great customer perk...especially when taking delivery in foul weather.

JoJo
JKrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #13

Deek, the DS4018 is really impressive so far and I'm sure that you're getting excited while waiting for delivery. I may have missed some of your posts, so, what color combination will it be?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannekrill View Post
Michelle Howard told us that Newmar offers customers indoor space to load their belongings into their RVs. I think this is a great customer perk...especially when taking delivery in foul weather.

JoJo
WOW ... this is great news. Will sure make the job much easier and warmer!

Steve