Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2005, 03:44 PM   #1

As many of you know the problems we had with our new Mountain Aire 5th wheel and we thought all was wellafter they reimbursed us and finally returned our trailer. But we did not expect the facory to return a trailer in worse condition then they had recieved.

Well last week once again we had a new battle start with the condition our trailer was returned and the sloppy repairs done. Once again during a conferance call, a lot of "I don't remember that" began again. And the "Oh we are sorry and you do have issues" all began once again.

I don't know how this is going to turn out this time, but I certainly would hate for them to take this trailer again and not return it again for another 3 months.

My husband and i both feel they should replace the trailer or return our monies spent for the purchase.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2005, 03:44 PM   #2

As many of you know the problems we had with our new Mountain Aire 5th wheel and we thought all was wellafter they reimbursed us and finally returned our trailer. But we did not expect the facory to return a trailer in worse condition then they had recieved.

Well last week once again we had a new battle start with the condition our trailer was returned and the sloppy repairs done. Once again during a conferance call, a lot of "I don't remember that" began again. And the "Oh we are sorry and you do have issues" all began once again.

I don't know how this is going to turn out this time, but I certainly would hate for them to take this trailer again and not return it again for another 3 months.

My husband and i both feel they should replace the trailer or return our monies spent for the purchase.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:07 AM   #3

Sorry for your problems In my case the difference was my dealer Midway Motorhomes Grand Rapids Michigan. Purchased my new Dutch Star 4/22/04 problem started right away with the engine. After 4 service centers and a 2 week stay at the Cat factory my dealer asked Newmar to buy the coach back. On June 16 Newmar called me and asked for a letter to their Customer Relations Dept on problems and what I wanted from them, on 7/10/05 I was ordering the new coach. No lawyers No shouting matches just a easy experience. You need to get your dealer to back you and arrange for the extra discounts that would allow them to take your unit back and replace it with a new unit but some dealers don't back their customers which would be a no profit deal on the replacement unit and don't care about their coustomers

2007 DSDP/4320
waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:34 AM   #4

newmar offered to build us another unit, problem though: it would take 10 weeks to possibly over 3 months. during this time they said we could use this unit that was not repaired correctly.

Because the nose and roof were not repaired correctly this may cause a hazard.....as a Class A driver regulated a prossional by the law, it is my responsiblity to see that all equipment is road safe. This unit is not....... For newmar to want us to break the law and take a chance if something goes wrong and lose our livelihood is unnacceptable. If part of the roof decided to come off and caused an accident we are liable not Newmar no matter if they say they are, this does not protect me, the law still looks at it as we are proffessionals and should have known better. This not only could cause us to lose our Class A license but our employment.

We had asked for a refund of our monies paid for the unit. We feel this is is everyone's best interest. Newmar had treated us so badly that even the trust is not there anymore.

I am greatful for all the people who own a newmar that never had troubles but we had to be that one that did. I just don't trust them anymore. If you could see my unit and what they say is perfect after it being gone for 3 months you would probably agree that we do not and shouldn't be forced in to something like this...

I do not believe they should force us into any more worry and stress then they already have.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #5

I too have a 04 newmar and had some problems,but newmar did double back flips to make things right. There repair dept. was better than number one.As I follow your post you stated "they should replace the trailer or return our monies" According to you they offered to replace the trailer NOW you want your monies back,I think you should make up your mind on what you really want.... You could also post pictures to show all of us what you consider bad workmanship. Thank you
Old 06-04-2005, 06:56 AM   #6

I understand your concern on stating we need to make up our minds as to replacement or monies refunded. Its hard for others to understand especially when they had not had the problems we had nor been involved in the phone conversations.

One time Newmar would state one thing and then a day later something totally different.

We asked Newmar to locate a trailer already on a lot that is the same as ours, whereas it could be exchanged immediately. They refused, they would only build another unit. But at the time they offered to build another unit they had not stated the time line on it. Later they stated up to 3 months or longer. They then in turn wanted us to wait until the new units are going to the dealers and look at them, then order one. This in turn would delay building a unit even longer.

With having to have a unit with us at the races (this is required by our employment contract) we feel returning our monies would be in the better interest of all parties. We could replace the unit immediately which needs to be done.

If the roof begins to tear at any point within the next 3 to 4 months of them wanting us to pull it we will be liable 100 per cent if any portion comes off an hits someone. My insurance company has already threatetened to cancel my policy. (We had to notify them on a possible colateral exchange, this was before we knew of the 3 to 4 month waiting period).

As I stated before, for Newmar to want us to pull this unit throughout the United States for the next 3 to 4 months is asking for problems. That is a lot of mileage to cover during the race season and if any part of the roof tears off we can be held 100 per cent liable which in turn can get us sued if any portion hits someone. The roof itself is pulled up higher then the nose and just bringing the trailer to Charlottte a crack on the lower left side has appeared at the bottom of the nose.

This is why I state refunding us our monies is the best to do. Would you pull it?

I also had tried several time to post pictures but it continues to state they are to large, so I am going to try to put them on line somehow.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nancy Fisher:
I also had tried several time to post pictures but it continues to state they are to large, so I am going to try to put them on line somehow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Go to your setup and cut down on the resolution of your pictures. You should be able to upload a 1024x768 (SVGA) format. Anything larger than that may not be accepted. 640x480 works really well here. They show up just fine and they upload in half the time.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:16 AM   #8

This is not Nancy but her husband. I was reading some of the responses and I for one and very upset at "sayravy" and his response to "WHAT WE CONSIDER BAD WORKMANSHIP". Well for one thing its not what we considered bad workmanship, its what the people who inspected it, noticed it, and were shocked about it.

To see this in person it is unbelievable. I was shocked especially when 2 representatives and 1 higher up stated they inspected it and it was perfect. Well the response I got from Newmar was "well, we see you do have issues". Issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They have jeckyl and hyded us the whole way. I spent weeks being told my trailer would be returned only to find out another week and another and another and another etc. etc. etc.

And sayrayy states we should make up our minds....Well what about theirs, we have done what they asked, we have done more and have been through more then the average person.

They had our trailer for 3 months, they returned it damagaged!!!!!! Just because you have had good luck with them thats great. But beware this can happen to you....and any of us out there.

The only reason things work out between the customer and the manufacturer is because it is on the manufacturer's terms and time line. Never in favor of the customer. They will bully you, lie to you, what ever it takes to benefit them. In the mean time, if you don't have many choices because your employment or anything else does not allow for mistakes then you are in trouble. You are at their mercy regardless of what it does to you. And they can lie, cheat, and you will not beable to do anything.

Mr. Kratz at Newmar told us to talk about the offer of returning our money or wait to have the other unit built. We decided on a refund. When I spoke with Mr. Kratz on Friday June 3rd, (he was gone all week) his attitude changed from being a person I respected to being a totally different person.

I called to tell them what our decision was as they previously stated to do, and I did not deserve the attitude I recieved. I also did not deserve to be treated like a puppet and be told........ Well the only reason a refund was offered was to see where our heads were at. WHAT IS THIS A GAME TO THEM! This is no game.

I found a letter my wife wrote to a friend (added to the bottom of this one, and I will get in a lot of trouble for this but I'll take my chances) and believe me I feel so responsible for putting her through this. She is the most wonderful woman in the world, and if she only had 10 dollars left and you needed it more, she would go hungry just to make sure you had it to get something to eat with. If she ever won the lottery, she is the type who would never keep a dime of it, she would help all that needed help. This is the person she is.

READ THIS LETTER AND SEE IF YOU WOULD WANT YOUR SPOUSE TO FEEL THIS WAY. GROW UP PEOPLE! THIS LETTER REPRESENTS THE REAL WORLD!

Hey Girl,

I am so glad I have you to talk to. I think I would go nuts if you were not there. But I do not know how much more I can take. One minute I am fine, the next bawling like a baby.....Its like when we talked on the phone yesterday, one minute Newmar says one thing the next another.

Ted spoke with Steve Kratz as you know and told him we talked about it like he told us to before he left last week. We raised all the pros and cons and weighed both their offers..cash out or build another.....Mr. Kratz was gone all last week and didn't return until Friday the 3rd so we couldn't talk with him all week until then. But Ted said his attitude really changed from being very nice to being very sharp.

What shocks me is, What Mr. Kratz told Ted about the offers, he stated to him that the buy-out was not actually an offer..He just wanted to see where our heads were at. What does he mean about that? I spent all week talking with my Finance Company about a possible collateral exchange.....my Insurance Company is upset because they do not want me pulling this trailer for 3 months or longer and are threatening to cancel me. I spoke with Robin at Wheeler's and she explained that my extended warraties and such could not be transferred to the an exchange unit, they would have to be cancelled and repurchased. But the most of all is the unit already has begun a crack on the left lower side below the trim which in turn shows some sort of stress.

For them to want me to pull this trailer around for 3 months or more is ridiculous. I would honestly like to know where their head is at. They already had this unit for 3 months...what more do they want? I don't know if my nerves could take it.

I feel it just be best to refund our monies. Mr. Kratz was speaking also of user fees. I can not understand this as they had it longer then we have owned it and their delaying week to week forces me to make more payments which in turn drops the principal amount due at the Finance Company. I believe one reason they are doing this to us is because they want the free advertisement they get at the races. They do not want to lose that.

Everyday I wake up and feel sick to my stomach. The pills the doctor gave me don't seem to help but make me feel dizzy and I can't have that with driving. So like I said one minute I am calm the next bawling, shaking and ready to vomit. I hate hearing my phone ring wondering what they may say now. I hate going to my email fearing what they may say this week. I can't function at all. I don't even talk with anyone out here anymore because I just start to bawl like a baby.....This has me so stressed out....... I fear for our jobs as Ted has been snappy to everyone. One day he is fine and the next he's not. This had totally affected Ted and my relationship. We are at each others throat all the time.

I honestly do not know if our relationship is going to survive through all this. Its hard for people to understand what has happened, you know when you spend all that time every Friday being told your trailer is going to be delivered Wednesday and then Monday get a call and they state "Oh, I found something else". Week after week after week! But to have them finally state its done and perfect (after 3 of them were suppose to have looked at it) and you know how it was returned........it just plays on you time and time again. No wonder people lose it, how much do people expect us to take...

This is suppose to be our home while we are out here. I don't even cook in it and everday I try to be very careful and not spill anything or dirty anything. This weighs on my nerves. Scared to death I might spill something and cause a stain. I walk on eggs constantly inside this thing. No wonder I am a wreck. I spend half a day constantly cleaning every little particle of dust, I mop the floors sometimes 3 times a day on my hands and knees, constantly wiping the counters even though we don't cook in here, I even clean the toilet every time it's used, just so there won't be anything they can say we caused and charge me for, you lnow this user fee. This is no way to live. I am a very clean person anyway, but this is driving me nuts but I am so scared. No one should live this way but this is what Newmar is causing with their games. I never know day to day what will happen next.

We asked them to find one just like ours off a dealers lot to exchange immediately. That was refused. We have tried everything in the book with these guys, but they should not expect me to pull a trailer that may one day become a hazard. What happens when all that silicone drys that they gooped up there. We are in all types of weather. Its like right now I am dying here in this humidity, but I do not want to turn the air on because I do not want any dust being brought in and possibly getting it on the carpeted ceiling. Maybe its nuts but its the fear of it.

I think Ted and I are nice people, we don't go out and cause trouble, **** we don't even drink. But I might start just to kill the pain. Why can't these people see what they are doing to us? Just give us our monies back so we can get back to our life. My physical for my Class A expires on the 9th and I'm scared to go get it renewed because if I start crying they are going to know I am a wreck. I have to but am scared, if they pull it I am screwed.

Normallly I am a very strong and devoted person. Its just like last year when I feel off the truck at the Fontana Race and fell head first in to the pavement. With a broken right thumb, a severe concussion and a hurt right shoulder, Ted and I still had to team drive that deisel to the Richmond race. But I don't have that strength anymore. Physically nor emotionally.

At times I just wish the gun Newmar is holding to my head and clicking would finally reach the chamber with the bullet in it, so it would get this over with. Some people would not think of what is happening to us as torture, but you know it really is.......Everyday I feel like they pull me out of my cell and make me kneel while they hold a gun to my head and pull the trigger one time. Everyday never knowing if today is the day it goes off.

I just cannot understand why they are doing this to us. We have done everything they asked and more.

Well, I had better let you go, Thank you so much for listening.

Love and respect
Always
Nancy
Old 06-06-2005, 03:55 PM   #9

I am not going to read Nancy's letter. I started to, then decided that it was too perosonal. Thats the problem. They have gotten personnal. No room here for that. Newmar is an up-front company and I can not beleive that they are treating them this way as described. I respect Nancy and wish her all the best, but I can not condon this type of off site bad mouthing.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:02 AM   #10

To Nancy, I believe the person at Newmar is Steve Klotts not Krattz.That is the person who strung us out for 20 months, that is also the person who represented Newmar at our lemon law hearing.I will give testamony for Nancy here as MR. Klotts did also lie to us.Our situation with Newmar is over but i did cost us about $20,000.00 and thats hard to forget! Jerry Logan
Old 06-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #11

I am sorry "it" cost us $20,000.00 not I
Old 06-30-2005, 07:24 AM   #12

Nancy, I have read most all of your posts regarding the problems with your 5er. It is unfortunate when things seem to just fall apart.

Newmar has a good reputation and over the years they have solved many problems. I've been active in several Forums for the last 3 years and have read of a few situations such as yours. Your situation seems to have a common thread with others that have had a hard time getting Newmar to settle. That is making your situation so public, by using the forums to make your case. Be sure that Newmar reads these forums! And know that they are pretty sensitive about bad publicity.

You might reconsider how much you take "public" until you have completed your negotations. This should be worked out! They have offered to build you a new unit, even if it takes 10 weeks, which is about the normal build time for all units. Remember that Newmar doesnt own the dealerships and therefore the "buy it now" request could be hard to do.

Keep the lines of communications open and it should work out for you both.

Just my ten cents! Although it may only be worth one cent.

Good luck in getting this worked out.

2004 Dutch Star 4010
Dan Leininger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 04:19 AM   #13

How do you get to the point of Newmar agreeing to build another RV? We have a 2003 Mountain Air gas model. To date we have had it in for repairs for over 215 days. We have had many repeated problems with both the Newmar and Workhorse parts of our coach. Todat Steve Klotz has only offered to extend our warranty.

Can any one help us? We do not want to spend a fortune on attorney fees.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:56 AM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rver1776:
..Can any one help us? We do not want to spend a fortune on attorney fees. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Could you please send me a private message and detail the problems you've had with the chassis. ??

I would like to see what can be done to address your WCC issues. Sorry for the trouble.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote