Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #85

Hi John,

I like your idea of switching the coach and chairs. I've thought about that myself. Also, I took off the brackets that hold the table in place. I didn't like those things at all. It's funny you mentioned the wires in the TV cabinet. One of the first things I did was take all that out and redo it nice and neat.

With regards to your Power Management. Did you get the model with the remote? If so, were you able to run the wire so the remote was above the Exterior Door in that cabinet? I've been debating about getting one, but haven't yet as we don't camp with power very often. What do you think of the whole thing?

Well, hope you had a wonderful Holiday.
Shaun

2000 Freightliner Sportchassis - 300 CAT, 6 speed Alison
Shaun and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #86

Hi, Shaun -

Yes we got the Power Management system with the digital remote. Here's the link to where I got it from at Tweety's RV supply: http://www.tweetys.com/electri...tem-hardwire-50.aspx

I think this system also has a built in bypass switch which is also nice - you'll note that I say "I think..." because I haven't yet tried it, and anything electrical is beyond me for the most part!

One of the guys in Wilkin's service department installed it for us. I left instructions for him to put the remote inside the grandfather clock which is on the wall just opposite the breaker box (which is right above the toilet in our trailer), but he actually put both the remote and the control box together right beside the breaker box. That was probably easier for him to put it there, and it really isn't a big deal with me one place or the other - maybe inside the electrical control box just above the entrance door would have been an even better place for it, I don't know.

Hope you had a nice holiday, as we did - thanks.

John
MT flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #87

Thanks John for the info. I think I'm probably going to out one in.

Shaun

Old 01-06-2009, 03:24 AM   #88

Here's just a thought to ponder. Not sure how helpful this might be as I don't know how Newmar puts things in the 5th wheels....in ours & I think most of the MH I've seen, there is a phone outlet right behind the passenger seat. We knew we would never use the wired phone outlet, so that has our remote display for the Progressive EMS. It is already wired back to the electrical compartment where the EMS was mounted so no wire run was necessary to have it work in this location. Ours is screwed to the screws holding the telephone plate. That does make it vertical instead of horizontal, but it is easy to tilt your head a bit to read it and it is out of the way also.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:32 AM   #89

Hi Donna,

That certainly is a good idea. I think our phone outlet is at the kitchen counter area somewhere. Can't exactly remember. With cell phones we'll probably never use and clearly haven't used it since I can remember where it is. Although, maybe there is one in the bedroom as well. But, like I said, a very good idea.

Shaun

Old 01-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #90

Hi Shaun, sorry to post and then leave. Unfortunately some of us still have to work.

Your point 4 below:

4) changed the fantastic vent covers to double pane vents

What are the double pan vents you are referring to, I've never heard of those.

Sheff

2012 3500 Dodge dually
sheff69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #91

A new thought.

Has anyone ever pulled the aluminum skin off the bottom off their trailers?
At one time I ran over something and kicked it up into the bottom, tearing the aluminum. I fixed it then, by putting an aluminum plate over the tear, with lots of screws and sealant. Now I'd like to pull off the aluminum and fix it properly. Of course this is probably just an excuse to change all sorts of other things while I have the bottom open.

Unfortunately, the aluminum is all one piece, 8' wide X 26' long. I know it won't come off in one piece, at least not without a wrinkle or two, so I thought why not take it off by cutting it into 4' or 6' long sections. Problem then is how to put the sections back up there. I guess I could put some rails across the unit, and screw the pieces back to those when re-installing it. But, has anyone done something like this? Or taken it off and replaced it with something else?

Sheff

2012 3500 Dodge dually
Old 01-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #92

Quote:
What are the double pan vents you are referring to, I've never heard of those.
Hey Sheff,

They are double pane, insulated domes that replace the existing ones. This way you do not need those vent pillows for insulating them during extreme cold or hot weather. Here's a link: http://www.fantasticvent.com/f...ssests/OEM%20cat.pdf

Look under the vent cover options and you'll see them listed. I didn't like putting those pillows in because they also blocked out the light.

Shaun

Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #93

Texas Boomers Club
As my signature indicates I have an `05 Kountry Star 35LKSA. When I ordered the trailer we were torn between the Kountry Star and Mountain Aire. Both had the same floorplan but my truck (at the time) wouldn't handle the weight of the MA and the floorplan would cease to exist with the new models. The dealer was having an open house that weekend, which BTW was a week before the last date Newmar would take an order for a Kountry Star. We talked with the salesperson and the Newmar rep and we had some of the [aesthetic] MA features added to our KS. I wanted the Dual Wheel axles but he would budge on that. So, while we hadn't planned on ordering a new 5er until `06, we placed an order for the `05 Kountry Star.

Some mods we've done:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>After a lengthy trip out west this past summer we added window awnings.<LI>I also swapped the kingpin for a Trail-Aire pinbox<LI>My dealer added an additional outlet and return to the AC ducting in the bedroom to improve cooling up there.[/list]
We started fulltiming this year so the following was done:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>removed DR table and replaced with a desk and filing cabinet<LI>replaced recliner chairs with gliders. No we are not that old, but with bad backs we are more comfortable in the gliders.<LI>With the onset of cold weather I started to get a drip (condensation) from the Fantastic-Vent fan. I called Fantastic-Vent and they sent me the double pane dome. Now I'm waiting for a warmer day to install it.<LI>All of the outlets in my L/R slide stopped working. I found a loose neutral wire on one of the outlets. Because they used those speed outlets, I replace them all with screw type outlets[/list]
We've now made it thru 2 ice storms and my fear of this coach being a 4 season coach has melted away (before the ice did I might add). Even the storage compartment is toasty warm.

Plans for this year: <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>As this will be the 4th season, I'm thinking about new tires. Will need to start researching LR-G trailer tires.<LI>Planning on doing some plumbing work to add a whole house water filter that will be in the heated storage bay.<LI>I use a portable surge protector. I plan to add a hardwired surge protector into the power cabinet and install a removable power cord then sell the portable unit.<LI>Has anyone ever thought about removing the oven and putting in a drawer style dishwasher? The thought has crossed my mind and it sounds intriguing.[/list]
We love this coach too much to think about a new one yet. My RV dealer hates to hear me say that as then longest we've kept any RV has been 2 years. Whenever I stop in he always smiles and asks if we're ready for a new coach yet.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #94

Shaun, I had never seen the double pane vents before. That's a good idea.
Unfortunately being from the north east, I don't have the problem of heat coming through the vents. Maybe when I retire and go full time, I'll have to consider that.

Sheff

2012 3500 Dodge dually
Old 01-08-2009, 01:14 AM   #95

I had no idea there were double pane domes for fantastic fans, and that will have to be on my list of things to acquire this spring.

We stay pretty comfortable in our trailer on 100 degree days and 20 degree nights, but I could see where these would reduce heat and cooling losses, and help lessen the work loads on our heat pump, furnace and air conditioners.

Thanks for the info.

John
MT flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:45 AM   #96

Quote:
Also, Newmar has an UNGODLY/UNHOLY mess of wires crammed into the lower shelf area in the entertainment center.
HAH! You think Newmar left a mess! Our unit was a repo when we bought it and somewhere along the way "someone" had "removed" the TVs and Stereo system (they only left the ceiling speakers, the sub-woofer, and the AV distribution box). So we not only had a rats nest of wireing, they were all cut off with no labeling or indication of what they were for!

When I had our Newmar dealer do a pre-delivery inspection the tech labeled the wires he could identify.

It took a while, but I sorted out most of the rest, still have a couple that are not connected, but everything seems to be working.

Fortunately that was the only problem we faced due to the repo status. Otherwise it was basically an unused fiver. I could not find any indication that it had been used more than once or twice.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:13 AM   #97

Thought I would share this with you. It's another little upgrade or modification I made. We really wanted an outside stereo, so we bought one of those Bose Wave systems and also got the under cabinet mounting system. I was able to mount it to the ceiling of the large compartment on the awning side. So, now we just open the compartment door and there our steroe system. It's up out of the way, so it doesn't get in the way or hit and works and sounds great. Just thought I'd pass that idea along.

Have Fun!!!
Shaun and Amy

Old 02-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #98

You think Newmar 5th wheels are scarce compared to class A, I have a new 2008 X-Aire Toy Hauler. Have not seen another yet. Poor salon setup for an expensive RV. Had to have custom furniture made before my wife would let me buy it to haul my Harley. This is my first post.
bertany is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, newmar