Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #1

Outside Patio light too dim

I’m sure some of you have modified this. Our 2017 Bay Star 3401 only has a small light above the door; not enough lighting for the outside. I really don’t want to hang lights on the awning or punch holes in the body to add more of the same type in the photo. I also wish our coach would have came with an outside speaker, but I have been using a Bose Bluetooth for that. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9016.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	228071
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Perfect timing, look at my post (a few more mods to share). I put one on the back engine cover. there is a close up of the light and one at night showing how bright it is. It is 5" and they had a 11" or 13" also. I got it from M4 Products.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I just ordered these for my two scare/side lights. I used them on my previous coach. It is one big LED (1" x 1") called a COB LED. Just remove your lens and old bulb. The new LED comes with three different connectors for different style bulbs. Since it doesn't screw in, I used two sided tape to install and angled it down at a 45 degree angle.

On my side lights, I installed two per side (two in each light fixture). You just need to solder one set of wires to the other. It really lights up the area alongside the coach. Would probably be too much for the porch.

They come in three colors, warm, cool and natural white. The cool will be the whitest looking and the war will be close to what a your old porch bulb color is.

M4 also sells the twist bulbs like you have now, that are LED. You can buy them in several brightness levels.

COB04-NW Natural White Elite Series Super Bright COB LED Plate - M4 Products
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:47 PM   #4

I'm not familiar with the newer Newmars such as yours, but that porch light on our 2008 KSDP uses a standard single contact 12v automotive bulb. These come in a couple of different wattages (brightnesses) and you can substitute a L.E.D. bulb.

I substituted an amber L.E.D. bulb in ours so it wouldn't attract so many bugs and to make it easier to spot at night in a dark RV Park.

But if you want a brighter light in there, take a look at replacement L.E.D. bulbs and find one with a high "Lumen" output. Higher wattage also usually means brighter.

On the other hand, if your light is a new sealed L.E.D. type, your only option is to replace the entire fixture.

I assume your coach also has what Newmar calls "Security Lights." On our 2008 KSDP, these are the large 8" round ones in the middle of the coach, up near the roof. There's one on each side. These are usually brighter. And once again, I changed our original incandescent bulb for a L.E.D. replacement bulb.

I believe the new versions of these lights have multiple L.E.D. bulbs inside and can be quite bright.

And finally, our coach also has what Newmar calls "Dock Lights." Our coach has 4 of these, two on each side. They're mounted low and there's one in the front, and one near the back on both sides of the couch. Unfortunately, there's only one switch that turns all four on at the same time.

If you turn all those lights on at the same time (patio, security, Dock), it's pretty bright.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV2LY View Post
I’m sure some of you have modified this. Our 2017 Bay Star 3401 only has a small light above the door; not enough lighting for the outside. I really don’t want to hang lights on the awning or punch holes in the body to add more of the same type in the photo. I also wish our coach would have came with an outside speaker, but I have been using a Bose Bluetooth for that. Attachment 228071
I want to monitor this post. On my unit I have a tiny light way up next to the top of the door, and our grab handle lights up with a few leds. I would like to find a replacement for this. I thought about an LED strip that runs down under the awning like on the new stuff, but I don't know what the power draw will be.
Will this use more energy than factory? I also thought about getting the King RVM 2000, but it is expensive and I do not know the light output from this our the sound output for that matter. I am very interisted in what other people have done here.

Thanks,
Bill
signet63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #6

Ever have a look at one of these? You might be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone...
King Controls RVM2001 RV Premium Media Bluetooth Weatherproof Speaker and Awning Light with App Control, Black
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	king outdoor light speaker.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	228077  
Old 12-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
A brighter light with a motion detector would be a nice improvement. I purchased a Star Lite several years ago and use it for the door light.

Check Amazon by searching for star lite or solar light and pick the one you like with a motion detector.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #8

John-

This bulb replacement worked very well for us:

https://rvledlites.com/product/nk-1141-450ww/

The Web site also features motion lights, should you want to replace the entire fixture (uncharacteristcally, I decided against it). Replacing just the bulb took all of one minute!
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:05 PM   #9

On my Bay Star, I've added LED strip lighting below the awning and tapped into the patio light for power. I purchased strip lights from recpro.com as I like the fact that the light strip is mounted in a black channel. Lights were easy to install.

https://www.recpro.com/led-rv-awning...nting-channel/
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:52 AM   #10

Thank you everyone for your input. You make this forum great. I’m switching out the porch bulb and adding the party strip. That should fix the issue.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:20 AM   #11

I replaced the one on my BSS with an LED and it is much brighter, but due to the kitchen slide, still not very effective. One thing to note is that once I installed the LED bulb, I started getting interference on some but not all TV channels when using the antenna.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by khocke View Post
Ever have a look at one of these? You might be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone...
King Controls RVM2001 RV Premium Media Bluetooth Weatherproof Speaker and Awning Light with App Control, Black
Perfect, thank you. I will ask Mrs Claus to put it under the tree.
JV2LY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light