Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2019, 10:23 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
My amp was replaced with a far better one, as was the sub-woofer, deck, and speakers changed to Alpine. Nothing changed on the soundbar.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2019, 10:27 AM   #44
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Neal.....in the first post of this thread, I wrote this.....

"I want to play my Sirius channels (I'm paying for them) from the dash radio without changing a bunch of things. Well.....Captain Gizmo found an inexpensive fix and has posted it in the middle of another post. I did his mod today and I'm very pleased with the volume increase. It's a pretty simple mod and shouldn't take more than 30 minutes".

The reason I started this thread was to explain how to do a simple fix to the radio, for those that wanted to use the radio that came with the coach, and not do hours of rewiring to get it to symphony sound.

I love listening to music, especially the 60's and 70's on Sirius XM while we drive in the motor home. Inside the coach, my new Kenwood and OEM speakers play perfectly for my wife and I. You could put an exotic system in and I wouldn't know the difference.

When it came to the outside radio, I just wanted it to be loud enough so we could hear it without sitting under the TV door opening to hear it. This fix does exactly that. While the birds are chirping, the wind is rustling in the trees and other campers are going about their business, I don't hear any background noise. Inside a quiet coach is different.

You and a couple of others got me to look at my phone and figure out how to Bluetooth Pandora to the Bose outside speaker (be less of a dinosaur). Now I just have to play with it and set it up for me. But.....I'm use to and like Sirius and want to listen to what I pay for. We often camp in places where we receive spotty phone service, making my Sirius satellite the perfect system for us.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:31 AM   #45

Sorry I didn’t get a chance help you out with some tips this week, Don. Next time hit me up!

I’m glad the amp works for you. You’ll never have a problem on shoreline power. IF you do run the inverter, just pretend there are Locusts flying around. [emoji2957]
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:56 AM   #46

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Neal.....in the first post of this thread, I wrote this.....

"I want to play my Sirius channels (I'm paying for them) from the dash radio without changing a bunch of things. Well.....Captain Gizmo found an inexpensive fix and has posted it in the middle of another post. I did his mod today and I'm very pleased with the volume increase. It's a pretty simple mod and shouldn't take more than 30 minutes".

The reason I started this thread was to explain how to do a simple fix to the radio, for those that wanted to use the radio that came with the coach, and not do hours of rewiring to get it to symphony sound.

I love listening to music, especially the 60's and 70's on Sirius XM while we drive in the motor home. Inside the coach, my new Kenwood and OEM speakers play perfectly for my wife and I. You could put an exotic system in and I wouldn't know the difference.

When it came to the outside radio, I just wanted it to be loud enough so we could hear it without sitting under the TV door opening to hear it. This fix does exactly that. While the birds are chirping, the wind is rustling in the trees and other campers are going about their business, I don't hear any background noise. Inside a quiet coach is different.

You and a couple of others got me to look at my phone and figure out how to Bluetooth Pandora to the Bose outside speaker (be less of a dinosaur). Now I just have to play with it and set it up for me. But.....I'm use to and like Sirius and want to listen to what I pay for. We often camp in places where we receive spotty phone service, making my Sirius satellite the perfect system for us.
Don, I didn't forget and completely understand your desire for SAT reception over something requiring Internet. We typically will have cellular or CG wifi as options so even at the slowest of these streaming music will still work, not streaming video, but music as it doesn't require much Internet speed and some like Spotify that I subscribe to will auto adjust. I also enjoy my SiriusXM channels and they know that Internet music is the way ahead so they offer a SiriusXM app for smartphones and also things like Amazon Echo can connect with and play from your SiriusXM subscription. So I can play my fav SAT music via other options. I'm only making you aware of other ways to enjoy your SAT subscription beyond a SAT radio if you are in an area where you can connect to the Internet one way or the other. We have options. YES, I would love for the sound bar to work as intended as well as the TV, it's all very odd how it's wired such that I've had to do so much rewiring/rearchitecting my cables it was a pain. The sound bar issue IS a problem and it needs to be resolved by Newmar. This is not satisfactory for those of us paying for the external TV option with Soundbar. Now see if anyone can actually get through to Newmar for some future correction for future model years as they can't fix ours nor do they care about it.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:27 PM   #47

Spartan Chassis
I, like DS Don, wanted to be able to enjoy our XM outside. Adding the amp and the ground loop made it possible. Not perfect, but considering the other outside noises, good enough. It was tolerable with just the amp added, but the ground loop took most of the noise away and you really have to lower the volume of the radio and stand right next to the speaker to hear it at all.

For what it cost, I can live with it for now.

Thanks to all that contributed ideas and links for this!!
Old 03-30-2019, 02:33 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsonk64 View Post
It was tolerable with just the amp added, but the ground loop took most of the noise away”.

Thanks to all that contributed ideas and links for this!!

Glad it helped you!

Tolerable with the amp. You say ground loop helped.

Am I to assume you installed a ground loop filter as well as the amp?

If you can clarify your statement...that would be great.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:09 PM   #49

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Glad it helped you!

Tolerable with the amp. You say ground loop helped.

Am I to assume you installed a ground loop filter as well as the amp?

If you can clarify your statement...that would be great.

Yes, I installed both and by tolerable with the amp, I meant that with normal outside noises, it wasn’t terrible. But, the noise was there. So I added the ground loop filter today and it minimized the noise to almost nothing.

I hope this clears up what I initially said. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2019, 05:46 PM   #50

Terrific, just, just terrific.
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:48 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Is this work being done behind the radio on the dash( or behind the sound bar outside? We recently left the factory and their solution was use the fader and crank up the volume!! Poor solution on a high end, reputable coach. Drives me crazy not being able to correctly use a festure we paid for.
Vagabells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabells View Post
Is this work being done behind the radio on the dash( or behind the sound bar outside? We recently left the factory and their solution was use the fader and crank up the volume!! Poor solution on a high end, reputable coach. Drives me crazy not being able to correctly use a festure we paid for.

Exactly my sentiments!! Pathetic.

And, yes and no. We’ve installed the amp at the radio. The filter, however can go up there as well, but some have installed it just prior to the SoundBar.

Realistically, an amp should be placed at the END of the low-input run, aka RCA cables to avoid noise and signal loss issues
You just need to plan ahead with the right connectors for both devices.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:02 AM   #53

I finally got the time to install the noise filter on the outside Bose. Took about 10 minutes. Results... noise, hum, buzz, whatever you call it is gone. Many Thanks
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3848.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	244165Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3847.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	447.5 KB
ID:	244166Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3849.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	244167Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3850.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	244168
Old 04-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
I finally got the time to install the noise filter on the outside Bose. Took about 10 minutes. Results... noise, hum, buzz, whatever you call it is gone. Many Thanks
Attachment 244165Attachment 244166Attachment 244167Attachment 244168
Hey, wow! You installed it AT the switcher????

I'm glad it's working without amplifying any noise. Generally, you'd be better to install it closest to the RADIO. Reason being, you want the cleanest signal coming into an amp, rather than installing it down the line and picking up any signal noise and loss, and then amplifying it.

But, so long as it's working for you...then WINNER! Just make sure there's no noise when your inverter and DC charger is on...those are the nasty culprits in my coach.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:56 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Hey, wow! You installed it AT the switcher????

I'm glad it's working without amplifying any noise. Generally, you'd be better to install it closest to the RADIO. Reason being, you want the cleanest signal coming into an amp, rather than installing it down the line and picking up any signal noise and loss, and then amplifying it.

But, so long as it's working for you...then WINNER! Just make sure there's no noise when your inverter and DC charger is on...those are the nasty culprits in my coach.

Totally agree and that was my first thought, but the connections were so easy to get to, so I tried that first.
One more issue solved.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Totally agree and that was my first thought, but the connections were so easy to get to, so I tried that first.
One more issue solved.

Awesome!

Where’d you find the 12v power back there?