Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Over the Door Power Awning

I have searched the internet trying to find the Manual for the Oasis Over the door awning, I need to learn how to adjust the awning that it will close tighter on one end. Everything works but the right end needs to close a little tighter. I have the installation and service manual but there are no instructions for adjustment. I downloaded the manuals online but that procedure I cannot find, Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Information door awning adjustment using Allen wrench's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #3

easy to adjust easy to misadjust make sure the motor stops on the adjustment not the limit sw. If you adjust it too tight it will shut the motor off with the limit sw instead of the stop adjustment. The correct tool is a plastic allen wrench that is about 8in long so you can close it down on the wrench with no paint damage.
Oh and very often the issue is stretched fabric or mis adjusted arms those can't be fixed with a motor adjustment.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #4

Be careful and go slow. Those Oasis arms are fragile and can snap. They are very expen$ive. Don't ask me how I know.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi montiem,
I've made this adjustment so many time one would think skill would be gained. Nope, this adjustment is still by experiment and requires quite a bit of patience. My reference is adjusting the arms not the motor. For me, I think this is where you should consider focusing. The fabric changes over time and could require arm adjustment to compensate for the change. I've been told this can not be corrected, but with a considerable amount of time and tinkering, I've been successful.

Trying to have the motor close more than the factory stetting may produce another problem. The key keeping the motor driving the awning shaft is made out of a very soft metal. It will wear and applying additional force will cause additional wear. The awning is spring loaded toward the deployed position. When this key breaks the awning will go to the deployed position, with quite a bit of force. If this happens while moving it can create quite a bit of excitement.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"montiem".....Mine was not closing properly and was sticking out more at one end and rattling. I couldn't find any detailed adjustment info and I refused to be defeated by this thing. After studying it and messing with it, I found that the last thing you want to do is adjust that allen adjustment on the end of the roller with the + - indicator. This decides how much tension is put on the canopy before the in/out switches stop.

Here is how I adjusted the arms. The box that is mounted to your RV has a metal track inside that awning arms and roller attach to. It has allen set screws at both ends. You can actually move the entire assembly right or left within the box to make everything close evenly. This adjustment should be okay, unless the assembly has moved farther to one side.

Now if you look at the cover, mounted on the end of the extended assembly, you'll see more allen set screws at both ends, attached to a metal track. These allen screws allow you to move the right and left arm right or left on the track. If you're standing under the awning, with your back against the coach, looking at the two allen set screws, you can loosen the allen screws on the side of the awning that is not going in all the way. No matter which side you're working on, moving the arm on the track outward, toward the end of the track will tighten the arm and bring the cover in tighter.

When making the adjustment, loosen the allen screw and move the arm on the track. Sometimes the adjuster will move freely and sometimes, because of the pressure of the arm, it will bind. I tapped lightly with a screwdriver when it would bind. Your adjustments should be very small, like a 1/16" - 1/8" (mark with a Sharpie). Tighten everything up and check how it closes. Mine had a remote so it was easier to use the remote, rather than climb up and down a ladder.

On mine, the awning button, if held down long enough, will bring the awning all the way in. I pushed it again as it got close because I wanted to bring it in slowly in case the adjustment was off.

So.....if the edge of the awning closes to the windshield is sticking out, you can move the arm outward at that end and bring it in tighter.

What made this difficult is that slight movements on one end can through off the other end. It took numerous adjustments to get it right.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"montiem".....Mine was not closing properly and was sticking out more at one end and rattling. I couldn't find any detailed adjustment info and I refused to be defeated by this thing. After studying it and messing with it, I found that the last thing you want to do is adjust that allen adjustment on the end of the roller with the + - indicator. This decides how much tension is put on the canopy before the in/out switches stop.

Here is how I adjusted the arms. The box that is mounted to your RV has a metal track inside that awning arms and roller attach to. It has allen set screws at both ends. You can actually move the entire assembly right or left within the box to make everything close evenly. This adjustment should be okay, unless the assembly has moved farther to one side.

Now if you look at the cover, mounted on the end of the extended assembly, you'll see more allen set screws at both ends, attached to a metal track. These allen screws allow you to move the right and left arm right or left on the track. If you're standing under the awning, with your back against the coach, looking at the two allen set screws, you can loosen the allen screws on the side of the awning that is not going in all the way. No matter which side you're working on, moving the arm on the track outward, toward the end of the track will tighten the arm and bring the cover in tighter.

When making the adjustment, loosen the allen screw and move the arm on the track. Sometimes the adjuster will move freely and sometimes, because of the pressure of the arm, it will bind. I tapped lightly with a screwdriver when it would bind. Your adjustments should be very small, like a 1/16" - 1/8" (mark with a Sharpie). Tighten everything up and check how it closes. Mine had a remote so it was easier to use the remote, rather than climb up and down a ladder.

On mine, the awning button, if held down long enough, will bring the awning all the way in. I pushed it again as it got close because I wanted to bring it in slowly in case the adjustment was off.

So.....if the edge of the awning closes to the windshield is sticking out, you can move the arm outward at that end and bring it in tighter.

What made this difficult is that slight movements on one end can through off the other end. It took numerous adjustments to get it right.
I tried to adjust with the allen set screws but it did not seem to change the travel in farther than it was, at one point it seemed to be so tight it made the movement rough and jerky. If I understand you right you made your adjustments by sliding the end of the arms. I saw some screws that hold the ends with a locking screw to lock in case you do get it to move far enough. Did you just loosen the screws and slide the arm ends in and out. I have been working on this for over a week, not full time but long enough to get frustrated. When you confirm that I understand you correctly I will proceed slowly. One last question, my awning will go out so far the cloth gets loose, I mean really loose, the fabric just hangs over the arms, is that normal. I just stop it before it gets to far out, to be honest I very seldom put it out but I am sure you are like me, if I own it I want it to work right.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"montiem"......getting old sucks......the allen set screws are only in the box. The outer arms are the lock nuts. I only did this a week ago and already forgot. So, yes, loosen the lock nuts and move the arm.

When I first started goofing with this thing, I thought that + - adjustment on the roller was what I wanted to change. I later found that is what puts the tension on the cloth. After I was done adjusting the arms and had already played with the roller adjustment, I had a sloppy awning cover, like you described, when I extended the awning all the way. I believe you have to turn that allen in the roller in the (-) direction to eliminate the slop.

Here is a photo, you can see my Sharpie marks. There are a lot of adjustments on these, including moving the material right or left. They must jig this thing up and have someone adjust each one before they sell them.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:57 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi montiem,
The photo Dutch Star Don posted is perfect to illustrate what needs to be tinkered with. Making a mark (erasable) as to where one started and moved to does need to be done. I forgot to mention this in my post, sorry. The mark needs to be erasable because there are several adjustments and they are all interdependent on each other. Just because an adjustment is made to a certain position doesn't mean that is the correct position when one of the other adjustments is made.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:19 AM   #10

There's probably a guy at the Newmar factory that does this every day and can do it from start to finish in 10 minutes without breakin' sweat. I had to replace both arms, on a ladder, in the wind. Pain to do, satisfying when done.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, door, power