Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
mre

Overflowing diesel

I have a 2018 Ventana 3407. Twice now, when I fill the tank with diesel from the passenger side it will overflow from the driver's side filler. This is with the fuel cap screwed on tight. However, when I fill from the driver's side, there is no spilling from the passenger's side. Anybody else have this problem? Is the driver's cap just not sealing tight?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #2

I wonder if it's a vent hose leak?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #3

I have never noticed this happening on my Dutchstar. You might try switching the caps and try filling from the drivers side to see if the passenger side then leaks. This would verify if there is something wrong with one of the caps.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchstr3884 View Post
I have never noticed this happening on my Dutchstar. You might try switching the caps and try filling from the drivers side to see if the passenger side then leaks. This would verify if there is something wrong with one of the caps.

Agreed, great test
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:26 AM   #5
mre

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

There are vent hoses on both filler tubs so I guess that would mean that filler cap could be leaking.

This morning I looked into switching the filler caps. Both caps have plastic tie-downs. I see no way of removing the tie-downs with breaking them.

Absent any other ideas or suggestions, I guess I will let the dealer deal with it when I return.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2018, 06:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does this happen after you have been filing for sometime and the tank is close to being full? If so it could be air trapped in the tank and not allowing the fuel to enter thus forcing it out the fill tube on the other side. IE. the tank vent is blocked Check for spiders and dirt dauber in the vent line. I have a problem when filling with back flow and foaming when the tank gets close to full but nothing out the other side..
Old 04-20-2018, 06:50 AM   #7
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
Does this happen after you have been filing for sometime and the tank is close to being full? If so it could be air trapped in the tank and not allowing the fuel to enter thus forcing it out the fill tube on the other side. IE. the tank vent is blocked Check for spiders and dirt dauber in the vent line. I have a problem when filling with back flow and foaming when the tank gets close to full but nothing out the other side..
It happens when it's close to being full or when I trying to top off. Also, it's not a gradually leak just all of a sudden starts to dump.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
mre

I am the OP.

I finally got my coach into Freightliner for some minor issues. I addressed the overflow spill issue. They check the breather hose BS fuel hose connections for tightness. There was no damage or other issues found. I guess will continue to be careful and live with it.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #9

I had a similar issue on our American Coach. I did replace both caps, they are not expensive. I also sealed the area around the filler neck. On our Coach the tank is in the center and the filler necks while installed well can leak some fluid into the basement.

I sealed all around with a RTV designed for diesel fuel. I then used a piece of sheat that was flexible and diesel fuel compatible that folds out while I fill. Any over fill gets pushed away from the Coach. I also drilled a small hole and connected and then sealed a hose that runs down between doors so any liquid that does get in there safely drains to the ground.

I only fill from the drivers side and since I replaced the caps the issue has gone away. The other safeguards have not been needed but you only need to get diesel in a basement once to learn a lesson.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #10
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
I had a similar issue on our American Coach. I did replace both caps, they are not expensive. I also sealed the area around the filler neck. On our Coach the tank is in the center and the filler necks while installed well can leak some fluid into the basement.

I sealed all around with a RTV designed for diesel fuel. I then used a piece of sheat that was flexible and diesel fuel compatible that folds out while I fill. Any over fill gets pushed away from the Coach. I also drilled a small hole and connected and then sealed a hose that runs down between doors so any liquid that does get in there safely drains to the ground.

I only fill from the drivers side and since I replaced the caps the issue has gone away. The other safeguards have not been needed but you only need to get diesel in a basement once to learn a lesson.
Thanks. Someone earlier mentioned caps. I thought I would wait to see what Freightliner says before doing anything. Now that I have their answer I guess the next move is up to me. I filled up a few more times on the passenger's side since my orginal post and found that if I avoid topping off it will not spill. Also, I generally make an attempt to fill up on the driver's side also.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:26 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"mre"......From what your describing, it sounds like pressure is building and then suddenly releasing. I would remove both caps when filling and see what happens, kind of a pain, but may solve your issue.

Summit, makes a nice SS plate that attaches to the fuel filler door, for fuel overflow.
Accents & Extras
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #12
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"mre"......From what your describing, it sounds like pressure is building and then suddenly releasing. I would remove both cps when filling and see what happens, kind of a pain, but may solve your issue.

Summit, makes a nice SS plate that attaches to the fuel filler door, for fuel overflow.
Accents & Extras
I will try that. But why would it happen when filling from the passenger's side but not the driver's side?
Old 10-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Be careful when fueling with both cap's off........read on here several times over the year's where folk's had done this(To control foaming and other reason's).......and had the fuel come out the opposite side they were fueling from and the pump did not shut off........just pushing it out the other side, big stinky mess.....
Old 10-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It could be the way the hoses are routed, one side versus the other, forming a bubble. Not something I'm telling you to buy, but I run the Silverleaf VMSpc program on a laptop. I have it dialed in, so that I know within about 2-3 gallons, how much I'll take at a fill up. When I get that close to full, I stick my ear up to the fuel filler. I can hear the flow of fuel change and I know exactly when it's about to top off and kick back. So far, no fuel in my ear yet!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel