Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Own A Newmar With Electric Slide Outs... Read THIS!

Background: On the first stop of our current trip, I went to retract the kitchen slide-out for departure. There was a LOUD bang and the slide stopped! I opened the lower bays and found all four mount bolts of the kitchen slide-out motor broken out of the motor casting!! When disassembling the motor drive I found two of the bolts were less than "finger tight" in the broken casing... Speaking with the Techs in Carthage Missouri, they suspect the motor mount bolts became loose and then, due to the high torque of the motor, cracked and then broke each of the remaining motor mounts!! in talking with some Hoots Members, they subsequently checked and discovered loose mount bolts! When I checked my other motors I also found loose bolts...

ACTION: If you have electrical slide-outs I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you check the torque of the four mount bolts and avoid what we just experienced! I am going to start checking the torque before each trip and then expand the time frame to 3 - 6 - 9 and 12 months until I find a time frame frequency that I'm comfortable with. For reference, our coach currently has ~43,000 miles on the odometer. I would like to hear feed back on what members find when they check the mount bolt toques...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #2

This is not just a Newmar problem !!

I've had to help a Monaco owner repair this issue.
Luckily the gear case on his had mounting tabs on the opposite side of the case, and we were able to reverse the mounting bracket to the other side of the case and epoxy the holes. He still parks beside me in my snowbird park and 4 years later no further problems.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Stealth01 ... I just walked in from checking my bolts after reading the previous thread on this subject containing the attached picture from JohnT and I then read your new post. Sure glad I did as I found every bolt loose and several had backed out far enough for the washer to spin freely. I have only checked the two (2) motors on the FWS but am heading back out right now to check the kitchen slide as well.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/slid...ml#post3093863

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Lock nuts, lock washers or thread lock. I read a lot about the bolts coming loose why aren't these used in production ?
tdelisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #5

Sorry that it had to happen, and I'll admit that I have not paid any attention to my bolts, but after reading your post, the project goes to the top of the list.

First a couple of questions:
1) what is the proper torque for the bolts?
2) do they use split washers or should we add spring washers?
3) would the blue loctite #242 be a better solution?
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:10 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Stealth:
Just checked mine tightened all but one. Mine have lockwashers apparently they don't work. I don't even have 5000 miles on my MH. Going to email Newmar For a possible solution.
tdelisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #7

us too

I think we have tightened or busted all of the slides on our 2008 Kountry Star after about 60,000 miles. We even had a drive shaft bust because of the bolts working loose.

We do drive a lot of hard miles. And my wife is not a light packer. (oops!)

Now we keep a close eye and have not had any trouble.

We did buy a big cheap pipe wrench -- that travels every trip since we got stranded once -- and you can get the sides going in and out easily in an emergency with this tool when shafts break or motors bust.
PeterPrinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #8

Thanks a lot for the heads up on the bolts.I will check
tomorrow.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As preventative maintenance, I checked mine two weeks ago and found them loose and posted about it (quoted above). As stated, this isn't just a Newmar issue. Over the 10 years I owned my Monaco, I had to go in and tighten loose bolts and replaced two that fell out of the drive shafts. One had never been installed by Monaco.

When a mechanism of this size goes in and out as much as it does, there will be wear and tear and things will come loose. If you think about it, as you drive down a rough road, all the movement of the slides is transmitted to those bolts.

After tightening mine, it substantially quieted down my full wall slide, which I could hear moving behind me as we drove.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:58 AM   #10
TDL

For us neophytes, would someone please post photos that will provide a starting point as to where to look. Many thanks.

Tom
Old 06-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #11

Once you torque the bolts put a slippage mark with some red finger nail polish. Then you will have a visual if the bolts begin to loosen.
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:01 PM   #12

Thanks for the heads up mine were all loose
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #13

When I was in for service at Newmar the tech suggested I check the bolts a couple times per year. It is now part of my spring and fall schedule maintainance. He also suggested to check the lower allen screws that hold the gear oil.
wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:42 PM   #14

Adding to Wayne's suggestion. We were in Nappanee a couple of weeks ago and our tech said to add blue Locktite.
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, slide, slide out