RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2016, 06:57 AM   #155

Whole drive unit all busted up -- second time

I was one of the earlier posters on this subject -- as I have had 3 of four slides repaired for big bucks. I had asked my mechanic to tighten all bolts at beginning of travel season but went in to check with all this discussion.

All four bolts on the passenger front slide were tight -- and all four were busted out of the drive unit. Somehow the slide was still working -- but not for long.

I am NOT a happy camper. There is no storage in this slide -- so can't blame my wife for overloading the unit.

I will be having a conversation with Newmar today.

We have a 2008 Newmar Kountry Star.

This is terrible.

PS -- do yourself a favor and buy a cheap 24" pipe wrench because when the motor or shaft blows and there are not parts to be had and you are in the Rocky Mountains someplace you will be glad that you can get the slide in by hand with this wrench.

PeterPrinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 09:00 AM   #156

I finally got around to checking my slide bolts. Front slide, 4 bolts about 1/4 turn loose. Back slide, all 4 were tight. Glad I checked, if for no other reason than piece of mind. Great forum, and awesome thread here. Keep it up!

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:37 PM   #157

Finally able to check the bedroom slide motor on my 2016 Canyon Star 3710. All 4 bolts were quite loose. All were at least 1 full turn to get tight. I had to lift the mattress and then remove the panel in the box under the bed (rearmost under bed compartment) to get to the motor. The mount bolts were relatively easy to reach at that point. The gearbox torx screws were completely blocked by the bracket the motor mounts to. No way to get my torx bit and ratchet on them. Is there an "allen wrench" style torx tool available? Something like that might be able to get on those screws. On a positive note, the area below the under bed storage was very clean and the wiring was very neat and tidy. Will put this check on my semi-annual list to perform.
OakHillFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #158

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I have used just a Torx bit and small box-end wrench in cases like this. It is tedious, but doable.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #159

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Own A Newmar With Electric Slide Outs... Read THIS!

Thanks to this thread, I went out and looked at my slide motor mounting bolts.

Only did the driver side front slide (living room/dining room slide) so far.
Took the following picture of the mounting bolt.

The 3 lines on the bolt tell me this bolt is a Grade 5 bolt. Source of verifying information: https://www.nutsandbolts.com/v1-bolt...-markings.html

Since I can put a 9/16" socket on this tells me this a 3/8" Grade 5 bolt. Source of verifying information: US Bolts - Head and Wrench Sizes

Armed with these two pieces of information, the torque value should be 36 ft-lbs. Source of verifying information: US & Metric Bolt Torque by Grade

I have only checked the living room slide bolts and found all four to be not torqued but not "falling out" loose either. Tomorrow, I will check the rear bedroom slide.

Thanks again for pointing out this issue.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #160

Newmar Owners Club
Finally decided to check the slide motor under the bed. 2015 DutchStar 4018. Lifted the bed and removed the 2 panels on the side closest to the rear of the coach. (I had to use a square drive bit to remove 2 screws). Extended the slide and checked the bolts. All 4 of the bolts needed a good amount of tightening (at least a couple of full turns). Glad I took the time to get at these bolts.
jimwca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #161

I have a 2011 Ventana with 4 slides and when I checked not only did the motors have loose bolts, one is starting to break similar to the picture in the very first post. Luckily, I purchase an insurance policy when I got the coach in December so I will be talking to my dealer shortly. Thank you for the heads up!
KC5ERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #162
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
For the many years I have owned a Newmar coach never had a problem with loose mounting bolts or gear plates.
In this PDF pages 5 though 8 has info on replacement of motors and gears in the gear box.
All torx bolts I notice that instructions required the use of LOC-TITE on the bolts before tightening.
If some missed this requirement I would just keep an eye on the bolts in case they do loosen again and use LOC -TITE the next time.
I looked through some of the posts and did not see this memtioned if it was.
This link and all slide info is found in QT's 1 &2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #163

Checked my kitchen and dining slide. All bolts tight with one exception, that took about 1/8 turn to tighten. Will be checking under the bed this weekend.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:00 PM   #164
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We're leaving on a big trip next week and the only bolts I hadn't checked were the bedroom slide. Just like "jimwca", the 2014 DS 4018 motor is located under the two covers closest to the rear of the coach. It was tough wiggling my 300 pound butt in there, but all four took at least a turn and a half. I backed the slide in a little to take some pressure off of the motor and then tightened.

It also gave me a chance to rearrange some stuff under the bed and get rid of some stuff we don't use.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #165

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC5ERO View Post
I have a 2011 Ventana with 4 slides and when I checked not only did the motors have loose bolts, one is starting to break similar to the picture in the very first post. Luckily, I purchase an insurance policy when I got the coach in December so I will be talking to my dealer shortly. Thank you for the heads up!
That could be interesting since they don't cover maintenance items. And a loose bolt is a maintenance item. If it had broken completely they probably would cover it. Guess I all depends on how the adjuster feels on the day they look at it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #166

The mounting point on the motor is partially broken so I think it should be covered as a broken part. Have not had time to take it to the deal yet so time will tell.
KC5ERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #167

I checked the bolts and found them all to be loose to some degree. A couple could be spun freely with my fingers.

I found two motors on the FWS. Is there a third one in the back under the dresser? There is no access to that space.

The coach was later serviced at the dealer Monday 8/1/2016 for unrelated issues. They voluntarily checked and tightened all the mounting bolts at their expense.

There is no PSB or TSB listed on ComNet. If an issue is serious enough that the dealer is fixing it for free, is it wrong to think that Newmar should promptly communicate guidance to owners via service bulletin?
Old 08-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #168

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";3181629]For the many years I have owned a Newmar coach never had a problem with loose mounting bolts or gear plates.
In this [B][URL="http://www.mo-fl.com/Slideout/full_Standard_slide_room_information.pdf
PDF pages 5 though 8[/URL][/B] has info on replacement of motors and gears in the gear box.
All torx bolts I notice that instructions required the use of LOC-TITE on the bolts before tightening.
If some missed this requirement I would just keep an eye on the bolts in case they do loosen again and use LOC -TITE the next time.
I looked through some of the posts and did not see this memtioned if it was.
This link and all slide info is found in QT's 1 &2.
Thanks 007 for the PDF,

Yes it does say Loc-Tite but that is for the Torx bolts on the case half's of the actual motor not the attachment of the motor to the unit which are 3/8" bolts. These are the ones that are coming loose.

It is mentioned in many posts and by Newmar that these are a maintenance item but no where on their scheduled factory maintenance, (attached) to the tune of $5,145.39, are these bolts checked. So $5 grand later and you can have the bolts come loose. I guess the wheel lugs are a maintenance item also but has anyone actually ever checked them? If you did where the hell did you get that Torque wrench? In other words that is a bogus answer.

This really needs to be addressed by Newmar. I have sent an email to the head of Engineering and he responded with " we have never heard of this problem." So that tells you where their mind is at.

2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, slide, slide out