Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #337

Newmar Owners Club
I jus brought home our new (for us) 2015 DS 4369. First thing I checked is the torque on one of the slide motor bolts. They needed 1/4-1/2 turn. Removed one to check the size. The spring washer was flat. There was no spring left in it. Tomorrow I will replace all of them with drilled head bolts and safety wire plus blue lock-tite.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #338

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
When I asked about mine only item they mentioned was the step recall that was still open. On mine PO was a machinist and fixed it himself after failure on the road.
Recalls and TBS are different animals. Recalls are safety related as they can incur harm and are mandatory by law. TBS's are items that are to be inspected and may need attention. The TBS describes what the steps are to inspect the part or condition.

RV dealers like car dealers are all different. Some good, some not so good and some, well let's just say you shouldn't go there.

Case in point. If someone bought their MH from a place the sells 100 pop up campers a year, 50 trailer campers a year and five used Motor Homes a year, well you can guess what their service is going to be like. The last Yugo dealer might be a better chose. There is no way to get dealer service departments to read the TBS. Some do and some don't. The same is true for your Chevrolet dealer. The difference is that at the Ford or Chevy store when your VIN is entered into the computer for service all recalls and TBS's that are open for that VIN come up on the work order. Automatically. Money maker, law suit prevention. The same thing happens with your Cummins, Freightliner or Spartan dealer.

Like Scott said it is on their radar in Nappanee. I was there mid June for a week and the TBS is posted in several places through out the service buildings. It was a line item on my repair order and I had not asked them to check it. I told them not to, as mine are wired tied.

I have never understood the complaint that the dealer is to far away or inconvenient. Did they move since that person bought the coach. They drove 200 miles to buy the coach and now it is inconvenient to have it repaired.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:20 AM   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
Recalls and TBS are different animals. Recalls are safety related as they can incur harm and are mandatory by law. TBS's are items that are to be inspected and may need attention. The TBS describes what the steps are to inspect the part or condition.

RV dealers like car dealers are all different. Some good, some not so good and some, well let's just say you shouldn't go there.

Like Scott said it is on their radar in Nappanee....

I have never understood the complaint that the dealer is to far away or inconvenient. Did they move since that person bought the coach. They drove 200 miles to buy the coach and now it is inconvenient to have it repaired.
I understand the difference between recall and TSB... My issue is that when I contacted Newmar CORP. they told me there were NO TSBs on my coach and I specifically asked about the slide motor bolts and mounting bracket.

And no dealers didn't move... Issue is the one close is incompetent and I will not take a MH back to them after one very bad experience.
When I tried next closest ones a little over 100 mi away 2 had dropped Newmar and the 3rd wouldn't answer repeated phone calls and didn't return messages left per their instructions.

My comment was that I hear the Napanee factory service folks are great...and I believe it... It's just not convenient for everyone to return to the factory for all of their service.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #340

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I understand the difference between recall and TSB... My issue is that when I contacted Newmar CORP. they told me there were NO TSBs on my coach and I specifically asked about the slide motor bolts and mounting bracket.

And no dealers didn't move... Issue is the one close is incompetent and I will not take a MH back to them after one very bad experience.
When I tried next closest ones a little over 100 mi away 2 had dropped Newmar and the 3rd wouldn't answer repeated phone calls and didn't return messages left per their instructions.

My comment was that I hear the Napanee factory service folks are great...and I believe it... It's just not convenient for everyone to return to the factory for all of their service.
Got it but the question is have you had trouble with your slide motors? There may not have been any issues with your 34' Ventana. Have you had trouble with your slide motors?

Also the newest Customer service folks are sometimes a bit under trained. Not a good answer but a fact. Ask how long they have been at Newmar and if it is lees than a couple of years ask to speak to someone else if you are not getting the answers you think you should be.

Did they drop Newmar or did Newmar drop them for under achieving?

Good luck with your Ventana.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #341

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Is it Camping World?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
Got it but the question is have you had trouble with your slide motors? There may not have been any issues with your 34' Ventana. Have you had trouble with your slide motors?

Did they drop Newmar or did Newmar drop them for under achieving?

Good luck with your Ventana.
Yes I had 3 of the 4 motor mounts w lose bolts...one started to break the weld. Previous owner had a major issue w bedroom motor...tore itself apart and he had to replace it $$$.

Fortunately I found the iRV2 thread that alerted me and I took care of the bolts. I was looking for guidance from Newmar re fixing the broken bracket weld. The reply was no TSBs re slides or anything else. I didn't think I had to question the factory customer service rep for his background? I figured they would know about TSBs or would check.

I guess I'll ask again and see what I get for an answer.
Does anyone have a copy of the slide motor TSB or a # I can search for?

I didn't grill the dealers that said they no longer handled / serviced Newmars as to why...wasn't that important to know why just whether they could help me or not.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Is it Camping World?
No not CW

Just a fairly large multi location dealer with a poor service dept / mgr.
Previous MH was part of the Workhorse / Bosch brake recall. They supposedly checked mine and gave it a thumbs up re brakes only to be stuck on the road less than 200 mi. After a lot of letters WH not only replaced the calipers they reimbursed me for the cost of the incompetent dealer work!!!
Old 07-03-2017, 04:57 PM   #344

Quote:
Yes I had 3 of the 4 motor mounts w lose bolts...one started to break the weld. Previous owner had a major issue w bedroom motor...tore itself apart and he had to replace it $$$.

Fortunately I found the iRV2 thread that alerted me and I took care of the bolts. I was looking for guidance from Newmar re fixing the broken bracket weld. The reply was no TSBs re slides or anything else. I didn't think I had to question the factory customer service rep for his background? I figured they would know about TSBs or would check.

I guess I'll ask again and see what I get for an answer.
Does anyone have a copy of the slide motor TSB or a # I can search for?

I didn't grill the dealers that said they no longer handled / serviced Newmars as to why...wasn't that important to know why just whether they could help me or not.

Had a similar situation it's a bracket, and my advice to you would be to take it to a competent welding shop and have them look at it. In my case I found the same as you, no dealer was interested in tackling a broken bracket. The welder I used created a bracket that is far superior to the original, and I have no concerns about it breaking in the future, good luck, hop it works out for you.
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL1950 View Post
Had a similar situation it's a bracket, and my advice to you would be to take it to a competent welding shop and have them look at it. In my case I found the same as you, no dealer was interested in tackling a broken bracket. The welder I used created a bracket that is far superior to the original, and I have no concerns about it breaking in the future, good luck, hop it works out for you.
Exactly...I dealt w a competent body / welding shop and we worked a solution w no help from Newmar.
I am disappointed that rather than trying to help Newmar seemed to distant themselves from any issue.

I have posted pics of the fix in the elec slide post
Old 07-04-2017, 04:56 AM   #346

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Torque

I wish I had the patience to search 25 pages of answers or that irv2 had a search-within-a-thread function!
My 2007 DS also had loose bolts on the slide motor mount. I was told to torque to 105 foot pounds. Did anyone else get a different number?
slowspokes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:04 AM   #347

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowspokes1 View Post
I wish I had the patience to search 25 pages of answers or that irv2 had a search-within-a-thread function!
My 2007 DS also had loose bolts on the slide motor mount. I was told to torque to 105 foot pounds. Did anyone else get a different number?

It should be 105 INCH pounds. Remember the bolts are threaded into aluminum housing. If you try to do 105 foot pounds, you will strip the threads long before reaching 105 pounds. I will do mine at 120" pounds with drilled head bolts (on order) with safety wire, blue lock tite and star washers (two belts and suspenders[emoji23]).
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:15 AM   #348

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
It should be 105 INCH pounds. Remember the bolts are threaded into aluminum housing. If you try to do 105 foot pounds, you will strip the threads long before reaching 105 pounds. I will do mine at 120" pounds with drilled head bolts (on order) with safety wire, blue lock tite and star washers (two belts and suspenders[emoji23]).
Safety wire, or Omn-Lok ( Omni-Lokâ„¢ Pin-Type Self-Locking Fasteners by Long-Lok Fasteners Corporation ) are probably the best solutions. I don't think Newmar wants to use Safety wire because the chances of it being used in the field is slim and none on warranty repairs. Not sure why they would not use the Omni-Lok bolts. Easier than LocTite.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:01 AM   #349

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
This looks like the solution. Will look into it when I land somewhere for a while.
What color suspenders should I order?
Old 07-05-2017, 05:02 AM   #350

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Will add this to my list also!
Thank you.

Tags
newmar, slide, slide out