Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2017, 05:14 AM   #351

The 3/8" bolts that take a 9/16" socket should be torqued at 33 foot pounds. I changed the hardware over to Nordlock washers, flange headed bolts and blue Loctite as a preventative maintenance task. I also check the torque every couple of months or so just to be sure. Any 5/16" bolts that take a 1/2" socket should be torqued to 20 foot pounds or so. The 100 inch pound torque converts to about 8 foot pounds and would be correct for a 1/4" bolt that takes a 7/16" socket but I don't think there are any in this system.
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2017, 05:18 AM   #352

I need to go through this thread again to find some better pictures to find these bolts. Correct me if I am wrong, but the FWS will have two motors and the other slides will have only one motor. Is this correct? Also are these bolts under cover of something and do they line up with the metal straps that are under the slide? I am hoping to find these to check before I load up the compartments.

While looking under the bedroom slide I saw a recessed area. What is this?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #353

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I need to go through this thread again to find some better pictures to find these bolts. Correct me if I am wrong, but the FWS will have two motors and the other slides will have only one motor. Is this correct? Also are these bolts under cover of something and do they line up with the metal straps that are under the slide? I am hoping to find these to check before I load up the compartments.

Go back to Post #96. I have pictures there for you to locate your motors.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #354

Re TSBs. If you don't know how to look them up on Newmar's website, just look at the stickies at the top of this forum! :-)
AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #355

Quote:

Raymond, yes there are two motors on your FWS. One is accessible from your DEF compartment and the other from the second or third bay. I took my bolts out and put blue lock tite on them while I was repairing my screw up by not unlocking the rear lock arm.
You might pull one bolt out to check if Newmar used the Locktite my bet is they didn't.
Take out only one at a time [emoji57]
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
Raymond, yes there are two motors on your FWS. One is accessible from your DEF compartment and the other from the second or third bay. I took my bolts out and put blue lock tite on them while I was repairing my screw up by not unlocking the rear lock arm.
You might pull one bolt out to check if Newmar used the Locktite my bet is they didn't.
Take out only one at a time [emoji57]
Does it make any difference if the slides are in or out?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #357

Newmar Owners Club
Regarding torque on the 3/8" bolts. On my plane's propeller I had 1/2" steel bolts threaded in steel inserts and the torque needed was 42 foot pounds to absorb torque from 180HP engine. I'm still afraid that a smaller 3/8" bolt, threaded in soft aluminum will be ok at 32 foot pounds. If the threads strip, it is a big lob coming for you. Like installing helicoils in a blind hole.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:55 PM   #358

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer0624 View Post
Adding to Wayne's suggestion. We were in Nappanee a couple of weeks ago and our tech said to add blue Locktite.
Good advice, but why don't they do that during assembly? I have the same issue on my Entegra.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:49 PM   #359

Did you photo the bedroom slide - do we just raise the center panel?

SOLD 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #360

Quote:
Does it make any difference if the slides are in or out?

No but it easier with the slide in. you can get in the basement easier.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:29 AM   #361

Here is the Newmar sheet with the torque values. I personally would not use safety wire as it is hard to check the torque of the bolts which will lose their clamp force if the motor shifts in its bracket holes from the reaction of moving the now extremely heavy slides. The highest loads are at the end of travel getting the slide moving or parking it against the stops.
This Newmar rack and pinion type mechanical slide is a very good system just the slide rooms have become so heavy that 4 bolts in the housings may not be enough. This is an off the shelf gear motor and would require a huge investment to redesign for the low volume singular use in this application. Due diligence of adding the bolt check to routine maintenance should not be an issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SLIDE MOTOR TORQUE.pdf (589.1 KB, 130 views)
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #362

I began checking my slide motor bolts on 7/25/2016 as part of our pre-trip checklist. Yesterday, while doing my pre-travel checks, I found the driver side slide motor mount twisted and cracked. Called my selling RV dealer and they said they recommended taking the unit to the factory for this repair. The dealer is about 1 1/2 hours away and the factory is atbout another 1 1/2 hours away. Not ideal, but doable. I am just happy the dealer was were upfront about this work being outside their ability.

I then called Newmar and spoke to Bruce. He seemed surprised the dealer referred this work out but was glad to write it up and submit it to service. He asked me to send him a picture of the motor/mount, which I did while on the line. He said yeah, clearly covered under the warranty and due to the (2) TSBs my coach is identified under. Bill, the service rep, contacted me soon after the call to Bruce and we are now scheduled for 7/26. Could have gotten in sooner but I am out of town during the earlier opening they had.

I am quite interested to see how this repair is done. I am also going to get the bedroom slide blue locktite fix installed while there. So far very pleased with the response from Newmar. Stuff happens, just gad the factory is reasonably close.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:17 AM   #363

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDo View Post
Here is the Newmar sheet with the torque values. I personally would not use safety wire as it is hard to check the torque of the bolts which will lose their clamp force if the motor shifts in its bracket holes from the reaction of moving the now extremely heavy slides. The highest loads are at the end of travel getting the slide moving or parking it against the stops.
This Newmar rack and pinion type mechanical slide is a very good system just the slide rooms have become so heavy that 4 bolts in the housings may not be enough. This is an off the shelf gear motor and would require a huge investment to redesign for the low volume singular use in this application. Due diligence of adding the bolt check to routine maintenance should not be an issue.
So why would you worry what the torque value is later? There is no way to check it later anyway. The only correct way to check it would be to break it loose and re torque. The value to break it loose will far exceed the original torque value anyway.

The idea of aircraft bolts is to prevent the bolts from coming out. If they don't turn, which they can not with wire ties done properly, they won't come out. Problem solved.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:19 AM   #364

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Why not put a white line on the bolt and the bracket and when you inspect it if the lines don't line up you know something changed?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, slide, slide out