Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2017, 11:10 AM   #407

Ford Super Duty Owner
I found the two motors for my full wall slide, but I cannot find any motors for the kitchen slide.

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2017, 08:32 AM   #408

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I found the two motors for my full wall slide, but I cannot find any motors for the kitchen slide.
Please go back to page 7 (pages are listed at the top and the bottom of the page) post #96 (post are numbered in the top corner). The middle of the paragraph says "The Galley slide is........." and the second from the last picture is your Galley slide motor.

2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:37 PM   #409

strange that the dealer had no idea of the TSBs covering the re torquing of the slide motors....after dealing with the same dealer on past occasions I applied the lock-title and torqued the bolts to specs (33ftlb)...all were loose especially the upper ones that require more effort to tighten. 2016 Bay Star 3518 with three trips on the coach. Bed slide was attached with cap screws and were reasonably tight. This is on my routine maintenance list from now on...Thanks to the Board!
Old 08-15-2017, 04:48 PM   #410

Susiedavid
I would mark them to see if they move I believe I would retorque them after lock tite. That might break them loose. You can put a dot of paint on the side of the head of the bolt and surface and visually check them
Steve Mosher
Old 08-15-2017, 09:10 PM   #411

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My coach is going into NIRVC next week for the TSBs to cover all the sides. The bolts I check appeared the be tight but since the factory is paying for it I thought I would get it done. The tech said it was an easy job, Loctite and re-torq.

2016 Jeep Wrangler with Ready Brute Elite tow bar
Coral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #412

I'm ready to do the blue Loctite on our 2014 after having to tighten the bolts a few times. They were all loose the first time I checked. I'll be using Nordlock washers as well.

I'm paranoid about stripping the threads on the motor housing using the torque values in the TSB (33 ft.pounds for the 3/8" bolts and 19 for the 5/16")

Anyone experience problems using these values?
Old 10-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #413

I removed and applied blue Locktite to the bedroom slide motor bolts yesterday. I used a small inch/lb torque wrench. Converting the 19 foot/lbs to inch/lbs yielded 228 inch/lbs. The maximum on the torque wrench is 210. I figured that was close enough and tightened all bolts to 210 inch/lbs. It certainly helped in the tight quarters to have a small torque wrench. And, I never felt I was over tightening the bolts.

I did the same on the living room slide motor bolts a month ago. I applied paint to the bolt heads and they have not loosened.

Sidenote: All the slide motor bolts on our 2017 Dutch Star 4369 were snug but not nearly as tight as they should be. I am glad I tackled this project and feel I have prevented future problems.
www.fifthcavalry.com
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #414

I am with TDL. Where do we look for these? I have a 2017 Ventana LE 3709.
Thanks
CP
Old 10-14-2017, 06:25 PM   #415

Started the Loctite fix with Nordlock washers today. It didn't take long to have a problem....

Working on the kitchen slide, no problem with the 2 lower bolts. In and out in minutes. No problem with 33 lbs. torque. (photo)

The upper (inboard) bolt however did not spin out freely once loosened. Had to use the ratchet all the way. No damage to threads on bolt or motor. Good.

Applied the Loctite and washer but now the bolt will not start straight. Appears slightly cross-threaded. Don't want to risk damaging motor threads.

It appears (photo) the motor has rotated within the bracket until it jammed the bolt threads against the bracket causing a bind.

I think it will be necessary to loosen the motor enough to rotate it slightly to provide clearance for the bolt threads.

Will doing so destroy the adjustment of the slide?

Has anyone encountered this issue when doing the Loctite fix?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nordlock.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	179873   Click image for larger version

Name:	misalign.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	179874  

Old 10-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #416

Just my opinion: I would not loosen the motor. Instead, I would go to the hardware store and purchase a tap the size and thread pattern of the bolt. I would then use to tap to carefully "straighten and align" the existing threads.

You must have larger bolts than mine. My bolts were 5/16 inch with ˝ inch bolt head, requiring 19 foot/lbs.
www.fifthcavalry.com
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:20 PM   #417

Quote:
My bolts were 5/16 inch with ˝ inch bolt head,
Mine are all 3/8" (9/16" wrench) except for the bedroom which is 5/16"

The issue mentioned in the post is on the kitchen slide.

Good suggestion thanks, to tap the bracket but access to the area is very difficult Can only get 2 clicks on the ratchet to undo the bolt. Doubtful I could turn a tap up in there without messing up the motor threads.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:53 PM   #418

Several of the bolts holding the various slide motors came out hard all the way with a ratchetwhile the others almost could be removed by fingers once broke loose with the wrench.
On the tight ones I thought better to not completely remove them considering the tight quarters to work in, only far enough to drip some thread lock on the bolt threads before running back in with the ratchet. Will see during next checkup if I was able to get enough thread lock on the bolt to do any good.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:25 AM   #419

kamakalama,
You can loosen all 4 bolts and allow the motor to "relax" to see if the remaining bolts free up. If that doesn't work you can also bump the slide switch towards the out position to remove the torque on the system from parking the slide. The slide adjustment won't be affected. That should do the trick. I put 1/4" longer bolts in my motors as there was enough threads in the bosses to do so. Make sure the longer bolt bottoms out without the washer in place before using them.
Vern
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #420

Newmar Owners Club
I struggled with the same issue, just loosen slightly the bolts and move the slide in the opposite direction. The motor will move and you will be able to screw in the bolt. Happened to me on the kitchen and bedroom slides. Worked for me every time.

Buly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, slide, slide out