Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2017, 06:25 PM   #421

Buly, OverDo, Thanks for the suggestions. That solved the problem. Loosening the bolts alone didn't help. When I moved the slide out a bit, the motor could be moved just enough to start the bolts and spin them down without the ratchet.

I tried some 1" bolts but they bottomed out in the motor threads so had to use the original 3/4" ones.

Doing the rest of them tomorrow. Looks like I need to move the cord reel and front batteries out of the way to get in there.
kamakalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2017, 07:05 PM   #422

I have the Ventana LE 4037 and will the galley slide have these motors also? I have looked several times, but I have not found the same type of motor that the FWS has.

Also will it be easier to check the bolts with the slide in or out?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:24 PM   #423

Quote:
I have the Ventana LE 4037 and will the galley slide have these motors also?
On our 2014 unit, the kitchen slide motor can be accessed from the first basement compartment behind the front wheel.

From that bay, looking up and to the left, following along the drive shaft, the bracket/motor assembly is mounted between the first and second bay. Its hard to miss.

Your 2017 may have a different kind of actuator??
kamakalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:47 AM   #424

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I have the Ventana LE 4037 and will the galley slide have these motors also? I have looked several times, but I have not found the same type of motor that the FWS has.

Also will it be easier to check the bolts with the slide in or out?

Raymond, on mine there are black plastic covers where the motors are located. I could barely get my hand into the space. I did not remove the bolts because there was not enough room to maneuver.
I did tighten them up and will do so on a regular basis.
Yours will probably be the same.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:30 AM   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
Raymond, on mine there are black plastic covers where the motors are located. I could barely get my hand into the space. I did not remove the bolts because there was not enough room to maneuver.
I did tighten them up and will do so on a regular basis.
Yours will probably be the same.
Thanks Bill - I will look for the black plastic covers. I am having a loud pop on that slide when I bring it in. It sounds like the rear lock banging, but I want to make sure.

We are home now so I can check it all out better.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #426

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Thanks Bill - I will look for the black plastic covers. I am having a loud pop on that slide when I bring it in. It sounds like the rear lock banging, but I want to make sure.

We are home now so I can check it all out better.
Check the Torque on the rod nut. Sounds like it is slipping.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #427

Well just had problem with the drivers kitchen slide on 2009 Ventana 4386. Wish I would have found this thread earlier but I'm sure this started with loose mounting bolts on the motor because 2 bolts are loose and 1 "pot metal" mount is broken on the motor. Now slide is stuck out. When wife pushes retract button motor whines but nothing moves. I am assuming the gears inside the motor/transmission are stripped. If that is the case shouldn't we be able to push the slide in manually as there is nothing left in the motor to keep the rack and pinion shaft from turning? In this case I don't see the need for loosening the transtorque bushings, right? Also, I've read it can take at least 4 people to manually push the slide in. We tilted motorhome down toward the passenger side. We then had 3 people pushing on the drivers side slide and it didn't move an inch. What are we doing wrong? Thanks for any help.
jprandkpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:45 PM   #428

Newmar Owners Club
I’m not sure, but I think you can turn the shaft manually with a pipe wrench? It may take some work, but it can be done.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0295.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	181226
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:35 PM   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
Check the Torque on the rod nut. Sounds like it is slipping.
I had my wife bring the slide in while I checked for the banging. It is the real slide lock. I can make the same sound by physically moving it. Why it is banging I don't know.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:09 PM   #430
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your talking about the manual slide lock remove it and with a heavy hammer hit the two edges either side of ball bearing and it will tighten the holding clamp of ball bearing.
DO not go crazy you just need to tap the clamp edge, you over do it you will have to spred the clamp.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:42 AM   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
If your talking about the manual slide lock remove it and with a heavy hammer hit the two edges either side of ball bearing and it will tighten the holding clamp of ball bearing.
DO not go crazy you just need to tap the clamp edge, you over do it you will have to spred the clamp.
Yes I am talking about the manual slide lock, but I can't get to it. It is against a wall with just enough room for me to reach around to it. Now that I know what it is it won't bother me as much when it bangs.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:28 AM   #432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
I’m not sure, but I think you can turn the shaft manually with a pipe wrench? It may take some work, but it can be done.Attachment 181226
After freeing the Trans-torque Bushing I was able to easily turn the shaft using Vice Grips, there is not much room in there to work with a pipe wrench. Very small turns of the shaft will move the slide in or out significantly. The hardest part of the job was loosening the bushing, a 24" breaker bar on the crow foot wrench worked well.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #433

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprandkpr View Post
Well just had problem with the drivers kitchen slide on 2009 Ventana 4386. Wish I would have found this thread earlier but I'm sure this started with loose mounting bolts on the motor because 2 bolts are loose and 1 "pot metal" mount is broken on the motor. Now slide is stuck out. When wife pushes retract button motor whines but nothing moves. I am assuming the gears inside the motor/transmission are stripped. If that is the case shouldn't we be able to push the slide in manually as there is nothing left in the motor to keep the rack and pinion shaft from turning? In this case I don't see the need for loosening the transtorque bushings, right? Also, I've read it can take at least 4 people to manually push the slide in. We tilted motorhome down toward the passenger side. We then had 3 people pushing on the drivers side slide and it didn't move an inch. What are we doing wrong? Thanks for any help.
Before you do anything else set the motor home on level ground. Then if you have airbags start the engine and let it level itself up.

Now try to tighten the other loose bolts on the slide motor. It may be jammed because it is cocked.

If that doesn't work call Newmar Customer Service or the Technicians number that is on your drivers side front window. Those folks have dealt with this many times and will be able to walk you through getting it in.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 01:08 PM   #434

Send a message via Skype™ to redwing1
Electric slides

We found the same issue on our '07 Essex. Had to help the living room street side slide back in. On inspection, all four bolts were broken! Three completely out and the fourth hanging by a thread!

CHECK YOUR BOLTS! Thats a $850.00 item from Newmar.

The bedroom and living room curbside are easy to locate and fix, however the bedroom curbside is a whole other story! Inner finder (above wheel) has to come completely out, three pieces, gear and motor are barely accessible above and to the inside of the aft piece. I raised the jack to its highest position but it was still difficult. The ideal process would be to remove the tag wheel on curb side.

All bolts were loose on these three but none broken out.
redwing1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, slide, slide out