Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2018, 02:53 PM   #589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Thanks for the info Vinny.
The TSB from Newmar Engineering no doubt specified those torque settings in order to generate enough clamping force to minimize movement,

Frankly, you are assigning too much credit. My bet would be on a table of torque values someone found on the internet when they wrote the TSB. Nearly all of us following this thread fixed the issue with Loctite long before the TSB was written. As mentioned, 6" wrench (in one hand), smoothly tightened, and Loctite is fine.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #590

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used the german torque spec on mine - gootntite.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:34 PM   #591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Have any of you been able to confirm that the torque specs in the TSB are applicable to prior year models? (in my case a 2014 Ventana 4037). My concern is that if different materials or hardware was used prior to the 2015 models, that the torque values in the TSB might be too high.
"Correction: Check for proper torque of all mounting bolts on all electric slideout motors. If any bolt is under-torqued, remove the bolt, and add blue LOCTITE® thread sealant to the bolt threads. Reinstall and torque all 5/16” bolts to 19 ft. lbs. and all 3/8” bolts to 33 ft. lbs"
Thanks,
Bill
Update: I contacted Newmar and they confirmed that the torque values specified in TSB 466 (see above) are applicable for the 2014 Ventana.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #592

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Followed everyone's advice...fingers crossed!

I had my 2008 Mountain Aire 4529 serviced by Pro Custom in Elkhart IN (recommended by Newmar Service). One of the things I asked them to check was the torque bushings, motor mounts, slide alignments, etc. They found all the slide motor mount bolts loose and tightened them.

I returned from Indiana to western New York (515 miles) and read this entire thread. I checked my bolts and all were loose again. I replaced the Grade 5 bolts with Grade 8 bolts (used flange head bolts for more gripping surface), installed the Nord Lock lock washers, applied Loctite to the bolt threads before installing them, and torqued the bolts to the TSB values. We're planning a trip in September to Maine and I'm very eager to check the bolts to see if they have moved at all (hopefully not).

The guys at Pro Custom were aware of the bolts coming loose but, they apparently weren't aware of the TSB; they just tightened everything up. I've brought the TSB to their attention.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and other Newmar threads...I've learned so much a out my coach and how to maintain and fix it from the knowledge and experience everyone has shared.

Mark
mark.jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:06 AM   #593

Mark,
That solution should end the problem. I did the same to our 3412 a year and a half ago and no loose bolts since.
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #594

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.jane View Post
I had my 2008 Mountain Aire 4529 serviced by Pro Custom in Elkhart IN (recommended by Newmar Service). One of the things I asked them to check was the torque bushings, motor mounts, slide alignments, etc. They found all the slide motor mount bolts loose and tightened them.

I returned from Indiana to western New York (515 miles) and read this entire thread. I checked my bolts and all were loose again. I replaced the Grade 5 bolts with Grade 8 bolts (used flange head bolts for more gripping surface), installed the Nord Lock lock washers, applied Loctite to the bolt threads before installing them, and torqued the bolts to the TSB values. We're planning a trip in September to Maine and I'm very eager to check the bolts to see if they have moved at all (hopefully not).

The guys at Pro Custom were aware of the bolts coming loose but, they apparently weren't aware of the TSB; they just tightened everything up. I've brought the TSB to their attention.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and other Newmar threads...I've learned so much a out my coach and how to maintain and fix it from the knowledge and experience everyone has shared.

Mark
This seems to me the best fix I've seen...the grade 8 looks like an overkill especially holding an aluminum housing bit who cares... check them once a year and call it a done deal... great job...
handstjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:05 PM   #595

Checking slide out bolts under the bed

I checked the slide out motor bolts on the bedroom slide. They are not as accessible as other slides, so I included some photos.

Remove the two carpeted panels on each side of the bed (each is attached with one screw).

After talking to Newmar, I substituted the original lock washer with a "star" washer. I added the flat washer because the slot in the black motor mount seemed too big for just a lock washer.

The torque setting on these 5/16 bolts is 19 ft/lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2285.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	209885   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2284.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	209886  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2280.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	209887   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2287.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	209888  

woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:29 PM   #596

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodosgood View Post
I checked the slide out motor bolts on the bedroom slide. They are not as accessible as other slides, so I included some photos.

Remove the two carpeted panels on each side of the bed (each is attached with one screw).

After talking to Newmar, I substituted the original lock washer with a "star" washer. I added the flat washer because the slot in the black motor mount seemed too big for just a lock washer.

Thank you for sharing this information and the pictures.
tjplue1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:36 AM   #597

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodosgood View Post

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but unless you LocTite them as well they will come loose again. Proven fact. Sorry. LocTite or Wire Ties are the only proven answers.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:46 AM   #598

Loctite on bolts

Thanks for pointing that out. I also put Loctite on them, but forgot to mention that in my summary.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:38 AM   #599

So is the Nord loc washers another level of protection?

What are the 2 sizes of washers is it 5/16 and 3/8?

Thanks
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #600

Washers

Both washers are 5/16" I used the star washer based on a recommendation from Newmar to replace the original split lock washer.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:36 AM   #601

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
So is the Nord loc washers another level of protection?

What are the 2 sizes of washers is it 5/16 and 3/8?

Thanks
Any flat washer is fine as it's purpose here is to supply something for the head of the bolt to rest upon because the slots for adjustments are wide. This bolt head is 1/2" and the ones on the bigger slides are 9/16" but I believe the slide bracket is the same motors are smaller thus smaller bolts.

Star washers really don't have any more surface to grip than the Nord-lock as there is a lot of empty space due to the slide openings.

It seems that the LocTite solution is the work around and it seems to be holding for all of the production after October 2016. There have been no reported incidents in those units.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #602

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
Any flat washer is fine as it's purpose here is to supply something for the head of the bolt to rest upon because the slots for adjustments are wide. This bolt head is 1/2" and the ones on the bigger slides are 9/16" but I believe the slide bracket is the same motors are smaller thus smaller bolts.

Star washers really don't have any more surface to grip than the Nord-lock as there is a lot of empty space due to the slide openings.

It seems that the LocTite solution is the work around and it seems to be holding for all of the production after October 2016. There have been no reported incidents in those units.

Same here. No star or split/lock washers. Flat washers to fit bolts. Loctite on all bolts.

Tags
newmar, slide, slide out