RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2018, 01:56 AM   #687

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
During a seminar at the rally, the loose bolt issue was discussed and it was recommended that everyone who had the slides with the offending bolts, check them and secure each with Blue Loctite. Only a few of the 41 couples had heard of the issue. I offered to check the bolts on those coaches with the electric motors. I showed each person where the motors were located and tightened the bolts for them. It was up to them to do the Loctite routine at a later time, especially since everyone had their slides extended.
That was mighty nice of you Don. Are you home are on the road? Text me.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2018, 05:20 AM   #688

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
Conventional slide Bruce.

Thanks, I've been assuming the most likely to break is a flat-floor due to the added stress of going up the ramp.

Any idea if yours broke due to loose bolts?

Old 09-01-2018, 06:45 AM   #689

Just checked my slides and on the living room all the bolts were very loose..bedroom was fine....
Old 09-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #690
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
The "Right" place to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Ok, back to slide motor issues. In thinking about what is happening to the motors, especially when they twist off the mounting bosses from the case, I wonder if it wouldn't help if the motor were situated in a section of steel channel that is the same size as the case of the motor to prevent any motor movement. The channel would be welded or bolted to the motor mount area. then the motor would be mounted in the usual way, except that the channel would be supporting the top and bottom of the motor. With this, the motor torque would not be totally applied to the mounting bolts; the steel channel would prevent any movement by holding the casing of the motor, and the mounting bolts would be absorbing very little of the rotational force. If a properly sized channel isn't made, then it would be easy to use a pair of angles welded or bolted in to "encase" the motor. Just thinking.....
jt

Harleyit,

I believe I have solved the problem with the Square Shaft slide motors. In a previous post I mentioned I could probably solve the "Transtorque bushing" style motors also. You figured out the problem and offered a solution to get started. Your suggestion is the exact way I would have approached the "Torque FIX".

You also identified the real problem. The twisting of the motor and the mounting of the motor. Two separate issues. It should be clear by now that Loctite is only a maintenance bandage.

I would love to see you follow up with the "Torque FIX" solution. I believe in your approach........Kudo's
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:12 PM   #691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Background: On the first stop of our current trip, I went to retract the kitchen slide-out for departure. There was a LOUD bang and the slide stopped! I opened the lower bays and found all four mount bolts of the kitchen slide-out motor broken out of the motor casting!! When disassembling the motor drive I found two of the bolts were less than "finger tight" in the broken casing... Speaking with the Techs in Carthage Missouri, they suspect the motor mount bolts became loose and then, due to the high torque of the motor, cracked and then broke each of the remaining motor mounts!! in talking with some Hoots Members, they subsequently checked and discovered loose mount bolts! When I checked my other motors I also found loose bolts...

ACTION: If you have electrical slide-outs I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you check the torque of the four mount bolts and avoid what we just experienced! I am going to start checking the torque before each trip and then expand the time frame to 3 - 6 - 9 and 12 months until I find a time frame frequency that I'm comfortable with. For reference, our coach currently has ~43,000 miles on the odometer. I would like to hear feed back on what members find when they check the mount bolt toques...
We just recently purchase a 2011 Newmar Dutch Star and have a lot to learn. Could you tell me where to look to find the slide motors?

Thank you
JanLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #692

I have a 2016 Newmar Bay Star 3401 Two slides a Full wall slide and a small slide on the passenger side in the bed room. the small slide quit working. when activated it makes no noise kike it wants to go out but when the switch is in the in position you can hear the motor trying t move it in. we have diagnosed the problem to be a control panel but can't find it. I was told it is somewhere between the floors. Anyone know where it is and how to access it.
Adbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:18 AM   #693

Good Day Adbear,
I have owned two Newmar DP's. In both cases, the slide motor for the bedroom is located under the bed's plywood platform. Access to it is done by raising the bed up. The platform is held in place by two hydraulic lifts. I would imagine that your BayStar bedroom slide is the same as other Newmar coaches are.

Regards
Dutch Master
Dutch Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #694

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I checked the bolts on all three slides of my CS. All were loose to some degree.

2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3940
2013 Buick Encore - Master Tow 80TS
dck22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:28 AM   #695

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGriffin View Post
Vinny,

Here's my June 2017 article with photos that show you where the bolts are in my 2015 Dutch Star 4369. I would assume that your setup is similar.

RV Life in the Slow Lane: Electric slide out motor mounts: check the bolts!

Mike
Mike, I have a 2014 DSDP 4364, similar to yours. I read all of the posts and checked mine. Long drivers side slide was a little loose on both motors. The kitchen slide was also a little loose. I tightened all of those bolts. Then I checked under the bed. WHOA!! All four tabs on the motor had broken off completely. My question is do you know the procedure on how to remove this motor? It is in the middle and appears to have the shaft running through it. To the rear of the motor, on the shaft, there looks to be some sort of possible union built into the shaft. Is this to separate the shaft into two pieces? Has anyone had to do this project on their own?
time2bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #696

SDS, I see how you fixed your bedroom slide out. I wish I could have gotten to mine in time. All four of my female threaded entry points to the motor have completely broken off of the motor housing. Do you have any experience with the removal of this motor? It looks to be quite involved. I spoke with Rick at Newmar this morning and he said to go through the extended warranty company. If they denied the claim, a new motor would cost me around $600. I'm just trying to get all of my options lined up prior to submitting the claim to insurance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken slide motor.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	226122  
Old 11-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #697

So has Newmar fixed the problem will future builds starting now be corrected with lock tight or some other fix
fastlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #698

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
So has Newmar fixed the problem will future builds starting now be corrected with lock tight or some other fix
Fastlane, as I understand it Newmar began to use loctite on all slide motor bolts in 2017. There have been a few issues with them since, but nothing compared to the coaches built prior to 2017.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #699

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2bbq View Post
Fastlane, as I understand it Newmar began to use loctite on all slide motor bolts in 2017. There have been a few issues with them since, but nothing compared to the coaches built prior to 2017.
Not to put to fine of a point on this but the Locktite fix went into production in October 2016. So all units after October 2016 build dates have Locktite. There was a unit reported on this site that was a 2018 DSDP 4018 unit but it was never really verified that I know of. I emailed Ron Stichter directly about this and his answer was : "Vinny, In cases like this you can help us by recommending to the customer that they get in contact with Newmar Service and share this concern with the Service personnel. Our service staff can collect all of the relevant information that would be needed to investigate this including information such as coach number and service history which helps to determine build dates and anything else that may have been unusual on this coach. Without having that conversation we are not able to do anything in response to this allegation. Thank you.". I think this is a fair answer.

I talked to Ron personally a month later but as of that date this was the only supposed failure of the Locktite fix and I don't know if it was verified or not.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #700

I just got back from the factory from having a slide motor replaced. The bottom line is that personally, after having watched it being done, I would never have anyone but the factory do it. Mine was a bit more complicated as it was in a wheel well admittedly. Basically they cut the motor shafts with a cutout wheel to get the motor out, mount the new motor, and then fabricate new shafts for the assembly, then weld them in place.

It's definitely a bit of an effort.

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2bbq View Post
SDS, I see how you fixed your bedroom slide out. I wish I could have gotten to mine in time. All four of my female threaded entry points to the motor have completely broken off of the motor housing. Do you have any experience with the removal of this motor? It looks to be quite involved. I spoke with Rick at Newmar this morning and he said to go through the extended warranty company. If they denied the claim, a new motor would cost me around $600. I'm just trying to get all of my options lined up prior to submitting the claim to insurance.

pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, slide, slide out