Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2016, 05:22 PM   #113

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks for the heads up!
I checked mine and got a half turn on every one of the 9/16 mounting bolts.

Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 05:25 PM   #114

I would like to add a BIG! Thank You. to everyone who posts issues and fixes to their coaches so that the rest of us and keep ours in better shape and not get stranded some where.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:57 PM   #115

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If anybody comes up with specific bolt nomenclature that have the safety wire hole and catalog source, please post this. I am sure a number of owners would like to order them. Of course anyone can install safety wire with pliers. Luckily I already have the aircraft safety wire tool.

DickW
Blue Skies and Safe Travels
2014 DSDP 4018
2009 Honda Fit TOAD
LongRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #116
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adbear View Post
I recently purchased my first Bay Star (not my first coach). I contacted Newmar to discuss my handling issue. The representative told me he had never heard of a handling issue with the Ford Chassis. I asked him if he checked Forums and Blogs for customer issues. He said he didn't have the time or the interest . I thought is was interesting that the Dealer, and the Ford representative knew exactly what I was talking about and of the cheap fix.

It does not surprise me this was Newmar's response to the slide issue.

By the way I tightened all but one of the bolts on the mounts on my slides.
If in fact the salesman made that comment, I would have no further contact with that person and:

1. I would send a letter to the owner/general manager of the dealership where your mh was purchased and:

2. A copy to the president of the Newmar Corporation indicating the sales persons obvious disinterest in customer satisfaction. He needs to be in another line of work.

I have zero tolerance for someone of that nature.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adbear View Post
I recently purchased my first Bay Star (not my first coach). I contacted Newmar to discuss my handling issue. The representative told me he had never heard of a handling issue with the Ford Chassis. I asked him if he checked Forums and Blogs for customer issues. He said he didn't have the time or the interest . I thought is was interesting that the Dealer, and the Ford representative knew exactly what I was talking about and of the cheap fix.

It does not surprise me this was Newmar's response to the slide issue.

By the way I tightened all but one of the bolts on the mounts on my slides.
It would be helpful it you told us what coach you have. Another owner might have some suggestions. My interactions with Newmar have been over the top helpful. Way more than I ever expected. I guess I am the lucky one, my Bay Star drives like a luxury car.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:10 PM   #118

Thanks to all the responses here I have tightened both motors on the kitchen slide. and the front two on the FWS (which I assume has another motor back around the rear wheels), but still have the displeasure of trying to reach the bedroom motor (motors). Is there two or only one motor for the bedroom slide?
Of the 4 motors I have reached so far each bolt took between 1/4 and 1/2 turn. Kind of makes a person wonder how many other bolts holding our Newmar coaches together may be loose or gone completely.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #119

Locking fasteners.

Here is another way to fastener rather than safety wire. There is several places that would be hard to get to. I have seen these uses on motors. Called Stage 8 and can be bought at Summit Racing.
I had all of mine loose not real bad but was working there way out

Steve Mosher
Old 06-28-2016, 06:49 AM   #120

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smosher View Post
Here is another way to fastener rather than safety wire. There is several places that would be hard to get to. I have seen these uses on motors. Called Stage 8 and can be bought at Summit Racing.
I had all of mine loose not real bad but was working there way out

Steve Mosher
That looks like it would work as well.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #121

So if I may, when applying the Blue Loctite to the threads, is it ok to back the nut off just enough to get some Loctite in the threads and then re-tighten the nut? I'm worried about dropping a nut down into the nether region of the bedroom slide, and being unable to retrieve it.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #122

Newmar Owners Club
Many thanks to all of you!

Same issue on my 2014 Ventana 3634 . Almost everything had to be looked at. I still have to figure out how to reach the motor in the bedroom passenger side.

If you haven't done it yet.....do not wait

Best
Bleclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:59 PM   #123

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Steve, I went to the web page and found the bolts page bud don't know which ones I should buy. Have you identified the specific bolts?

DickW
2014 DSDP 4018
2009 Honda Fit TOAD
LongRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:39 AM   #124

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
Steve, I went to the web page and found the bolts page bud don't know which ones I should buy. Have you identified the specific bolts?

DickW
2014 DSDP 4018
2009 Honda Fit TOAD
Here are the correct bolts. 3/8" x 16 x 0.75

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/stg-8913/overview/

The problem is that some of the bolts on the motor mount do not have a place for the locking tab to jam against. So although the idea is good it needs a wall or something to jam the locking tab. The bolts on out mounts are out in the open except for one or two.

Wire tie or nylon thread lock bolts are going to be the fix. My guess is the Blue Loctite will do the job as well but it is messy to clean up if you remove the bolt for any reason.
2018 DS DP 4369 #607121 Cummins ISL9 450 HP
"We are from, where ever we were yesterday"
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #125

On my 1953 Harley, there are 3 bolts that hold on the inner primary cover to the crankcase. There is a round ring that goes under the bolts and the ring has tabs that you bend up up against the flats on the bolts to prevent them from backing out. We can do something similar. basically tin strip between 2 bolts, with a couple tabs that bend up. You'd need 2 of the strips per motor. I tried to draw something with "paint" but it didn't come out to good... but you get the idea. A strip with 2 holes to match the bolt distance, tabs at the end of the strip to bend up to prevent the bolt from backing out

I'm sure locktite will work too.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:04 PM   #126

While extending kitchen slideout I heard a big clunk at the end of the stroke. I released the switch, didnt know what it was until I took some chairs out from basement and found wood chips on top of them. Closer inspection gearbox twisted the frame and broke it's weld. I'll be making some calls in the am. Seams like gearbox over torqued and didn't shut off automatically until it broke the gearbox mount. All the bolts were tight. The mount for gearbox broke away. Midway is fixing it on tuesday, reeling and installing new mount. WOW

Tags
newmar, slide, slide out