RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Bigger Is Usually Better

We have had a 39’ Kountry Star, a 40’ Dutch Star and now have a 45’ Mountain Aire. Would never go back to a shorter coach. The extra storage both in the coach and underneath are priceless. Once you are on the road, they are all 8 1/2 feet wide. 5’ or 6’ of length doesn’t make enough difference in driving to be concerned about. There are lots of Big Rig parks out there and the increased comfort and storage are worth it.

janelewbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2019, 11:13 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
In most cases a 42 tag axle coach will turn tighter than a 40 single. Look at the wheelbase and cut angle on the steering of each to compare.

Steerable tags are interesting and trendy but may not be much of a benefit. If you look deeper into the websites of Spartan and Freightliner you will see they compare to a fixed non lifting tag or to some other fixed system.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:08 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
In most cases a 42 tag axle coach will turn tighter than a 40 single. Look at the wheelbase and cut angle on the steering of each to compare.

Steerable tags are interesting and trendy but may not be much of a benefit. If you look deeper into the websites of Spartan and Freightliner you will see they compare to a fixed non lifting tag or to some other fixed system.
I agree that the steering cut angle is different for different makes and chassis. There is another thread (Newmar section) going that addresses lifting tag vs steerable tag. A couple non-Newmar owners who do not have steerable tags also make false claims about them on those threads.

There is an interesting video posted in that thread from FL that states their steerable tag gives you 17% better turning radius.
FLJOE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:44 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
I agree that the steering cut angle is different for different makes and chassis. There is another thread (Newmar section) going that addresses lifting tag vs steerable tag. A couple non-Newmar owners who do not have steerable tags also make false claims about them on those threads.

There is an interesting video posted in that thread from FL that states their steerable tag gives you 17% better turning radius.
This is the statement from the FL website.

Increased Maneuverability
Up to 17% reduction in curb-to-curb turning radius as compared to a competitor's chassis on a fixed tag—that's a 140% improvement over the competition.

Spartan claims 7% increase. As I recall they compared their passive steer to a fixed tag as well. Visited the Spartan website but did not have any luck finding any information as the site seemed to have issues.

I did find this on a press release regarding the steerable tag.

"This release contains several forward-looking statements that are not historical facts, including statements concerning our business, strategic position, financial strength, future plans, objectives, and the performance of our products. These statements can be identified by words such as "believe," "expect," "intend," "potential," "future," "may," "will," "should," and similar expressions regarding future expectations. These forward-looking statements involve various known and unknown risks, uncertainties, and assumptions that are difficult to predict with regard to timing, extent, and likelihood. Therefore, actual performance and results may materially differ from what may be expressed or forecasted in such forward-looking statements. "

In any case a passive steering axle only "steers" in forward and has a centering device to return the axle to straight for backing up.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:17 AM   #61

So Gordon, when you said in your earlier post "Steerable tags are interesting and trendy but may not be much of a benefit." You don't think that 17% is significant or a benefit?

I'm confused, but that is nothing new.
FLJOE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:16 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
So Gordon, when you said in your earlier post "Steerable tags are interesting and trendy but may not be much of a benefit." You don't think that 17% is significant or a benefit?

I'm confused, but that is nothing new.
Have to agree a 17% improvement/change should be good. But when the comparison is against a fixed tag on an unspecified coach I am leery about real benefit to me. The number of 17% is true with their criteria.

All of the current tag coaches I am aware of come with a tag dump or a lifting tag or steerable. If the tag is dumped or lifted there will be very little difference in the turning radius compared to a steerable tag if the wheelbase and turning angle are the same. It is a function of wheelbase and steering angle. Dumping or lifting the tag makes the effective wheelbase from the front axle to the drive axle.

Our coach has a tag dump. The weight on the tires is the weight of the tires and rims plus the axle. The tag tires skid without much effort. I can feel a difference to turning when the tag is dumped or not. When turning without the tag dumped at low speed I can feel a strain or resistance. The coach requires a bit extra throttle to move. When the tag is dumped the chassis feels like a sports car and I idle through the turn!

The extra benefit of a steerable could be reduced tire wear on the tag during the life of the tire. A lifting tag would have no issue with this as opposed to a simple dump system. However this is not a significant issue as most RV tires age out before wearing out.