RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 10:01 PM   #1

Owners of 40+ COACHES NEED YOUR HELP

I have decided to buy my last coach. I really like the new Ventana, but I am trying to decide between a 3717 and a 4369. The cost difference is roughly $30K - but over a lot of years is minor. I like both coaches but the 4369 is truly a home in my opinion. I will soon be totally retired and plan on spending at least 5 to 7 months in the coach every year. Some people are telling me finding places to park the 43 footer is a real problem. But I have heard others says, not that big of a deal. I would like to hear from people who own coaches 43 feet and more about their experiences and if they would do it again? One last thing, the Newmar folks tell me that the steerable tag lets you maneuver the coach in tight spots like a 37 footer - also interested in hearing your opinions on that if you have a steerable tag.

Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 10:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaliel Kid View Post
I have decided to buy my last coach. I really like the new Ventana, but I am trying to decide between a 3717 and a 4369. The cost difference is roughly $30K - but over a lot of years is minor. I like both coaches but the 4369 is truly a home in my opinion. I will soon be totally retired and plan on spending at least 5 to 7 months in the coach every year. Some people are telling me finding places to park the 43 footer is a real problem. But I have heard others says, not that big of a deal. I would like to hear from people who own coaches 43 feet and more about their experiences and if they would do it again? One last thing, the Newmar folks tell me that the steerable tag lets you maneuver the coach in tight spots like a 37 footer - also interested in hearing your opinions on that if you have a steerable tag.
We love our 4369 (which is really 44 feet). We had a 39 foot Fleetwood DP on a Freightliner chassis before this. I see little to no difference in maneuvering ability. You still won't fit most national parks or older, tight campgrounds. Outside urban areas I haven't had any problems. In urban areas, I am very careful of where I go and try to plan my routing way in advance.

I find the visibility and maneuverability to be fine - I really don't notice the extra five feet. A big motorhome is a big motorhome... Lastly, the interior space once you get where you are going is incredible. The 4369 floor plan really works for us.

Good luck with your last coach - whichever coach you choose will be great!

Old 04-19-2019, 11:55 PM   #3

I have a 44' Monaco Signature with tag axle. I have never had an issue with the size over the last 3 years. Yes there are sites you can't fit in, bit we just plan ahead. I am almost towing a trailer as well. I just plan best we can for the length. Get the coach you want and have fun!!!!

Quote:
QMThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:42 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is an example I like to give.....If you go to Yellowstone and want to stay at the only campground in the heart of the park, Fishing Bridge, they only allow a max of 40'.

With a longer coach, you'll need to stay outside the park. One of the best spots is Grizzly Campground. It has all the amenities and plenty of 45' sites. Since it's at the outer edge of the park, it will take you a little longer to see the park in a toad, but you'll get the same experience.

So......since you'll be in the coach for several months at a time, you'll have the opportunity to stay outside of some of the campgrounds that are limited to smaller size coaches, yet have plenty of time to see the area.

For the amount of time you're talking about spending in the coach, I would definitely go with the 43'.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:50 AM   #5

We have a VTDP 4369 and would not have any other floor plan. We spend 6 months in Florida and travel over the rest of the year. Last year we did 26 states and 9,000 mile trip and found only a couple of campgrounds that could not accommodate us. As Dutch Star Don said, we were at Yellowstone and could not stay in the park, but we had a great experience and enjoyed our time there just out side of the park. Either way, you are using your toad to sight see.

When you drive the 4369 you will be surprised at how tight it turns. We have been in some pretty tight campgrounds and never had an issue with getting to our campsite. The tag is not steerable, but is a passive steer tag, which means under about 25 mph it will turn and not drag. Keeps from scuffing tires.

I would not hesitate buying another 4369, the 2020 Ventana is really nicely equipped. We saw the one Independence RV (not a 4369) had and it was really nice, especially with the Girard awning package.

Good luck on you search and hope you find the right coach and enjoy the benefits of the 4369 floor plan.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:35 AM   #6

Keep in mind the load carrying capacity of each.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:50 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Before we bought our 2018 DS 4369, I used the ALLSTAYS app and scouted out areas we wanted to travel to. Then I looked at the RV parks to see if they had 50 amp, accepted big rigs, full hook ups. What I found was there was no area where I could not find a place to fit. Some parks even stated they had a 40 ft. limit. So I called some of these and all but one said they could fit me in.

Yes the above post is correct as to some rv parks inside the National Park system do not accommodate big rigs.

You will enjoy the extra room.
BodieJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:00 AM   #8

You skipped the 40'?

So we've been living full-time in a 40 foot Dutch Star for a year. It's been perfect for us. The comparable Ventana model is the 4054. My wife and I, and our 75 lb Bernedoodle, feel it's just right. We have plenty of room for the two of us. With the bath in the middle, and the doors closed, we can be very separate. I know many folks like that bath and a half. For just the two of us and an occasional visitor, we have found it wasn't worth the space and we certainly don't need it.

We have stayed in many state and county parks and have not had any trouble anywhere. BTW we are going to spend 4 days in Teklanika campground in the middle of Denali National Park this summer. RV limit..........40 feet.
ianschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #9

I was just curious, when the parks that have a 40' limit, do they make any deal out of the fact that most 40' models are closer to 41'?
Old 04-20-2019, 06:26 AM   #10

Not so far.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:50 AM   #11

Quote:
I have decided to buy my last coach.

Bigger is more likely to work, IMHO

I really like the new Ventana, but I am trying to decide between a 3717 and a 4369.

4369 is Very Popular - just be sure to get it Built For You and with Your touches.

The cost difference is roughly $30K - but over a lot of years is minor.

That extra 5' is almost free!

I like both coaches but the 4369 is truly a home in my opinion.

Thinking you've pretty much decided - 4369.

I will soon be totally retired and plan on spending at least 5 to 7 months in the coach every year.

----

Some people are telling me finding places to park the 43 footer is a real problem.

The only size that will be easier will need to be under 30', IMHO.

But I have heard others says, not that big of a deal.

You've been doing this for 20 years, think you likely know a lot about RV'ing and are just looking for support to get the 4369 - - The only decision would be if you wanted to bump to the 45

I would like to hear from people who own coaches 43 feet and more about their experiences and if they would do it again?

Sure I need to be a little more Imaginative to get to all the places I want to visit - BUT - my 43 has been the BEST. - - The bigger question is what to get as a TOAD?

One last thing, the Newmar folks tell me that the steerable tag lets you maneuver the coach in tight spots like a 37 footer - also interested in hearing your opinions on that if you have a steerable tag.

Sorry not a fan of more complicated - so if you can drive, imho, it in not needed - learn to use your Mirrors and you will be fine.
So a quick summation - Go as Big as you can afford - spend time and add the things You want/need to the Coach (Add Custom items) - understand/learn how to Boondock - Get the right toad - because you will be traveling more than Half of a Year you are likely to avoid crowds with proper/smart planning of you trips.

4369 will be GREAT -

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Here is an example I like to give.....If you go to Yellowstone and want to stay at the only campground in the heart of the park, Fishing Bridge, they only allow a max of 40'.

With a longer coach, you'll need to stay outside the park. One of the best spots is Grizzly Campground. It has all the amenities and plenty of 45' sites. Since it's at the outer edge of the park, it will take you a little longer to see the park in a toad, but you'll get the same experience.

So......since you'll be in the coach for several months at a time, you'll have the opportunity to stay outside of some of the campgrounds that are limited to smaller size coaches, yet have plenty of time to see the area.

For the amount of time you're talking about spending in the coach, I would definitely go with the 43'.
Not to be argumentative - But if you boondock - Madison is one of many you can stay in - and is pretty central - https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/madisoncg.htm.

Here we are - in YNP/Madison for 10 days - Insomuch that OP is traveling over half the Year this is a strong possibility. JMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0005.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	533.3 KB
ID:	242781  
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #13

One thing that I have not seen mentioned and I think is a huge difference between these 2 MH's is that the 4369 has a tag. This makes a huge difference in the ride and how the MH handles in the wind. Buy the 4369.
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:22 AM   #14

Tag Axle on 40 foot as well

We have a Spartan tax axle on our 40 footer...awesome....