Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #1

Paint color info

This may help some others so let me share what I have just discovered. I had a little low speed accident with my 98 DSDP which damaged two cargo doors among other things. Anyway, getting to the point where I am ready to repaint the doors to match. Could not find a paint code anywhere ( as a matter of fact, a hand written note in my owners manual listed it as "green" - not much help). Called Newmar who has been so helpful in so many ways even on an older coach like this and they informed me that it is a Sherwin Williams paint and the color code is NEW500JADE. My Sherwin Williams dealer could find no reference to the color code and in fact could find nothing related to Newmar at all. Interestingly, they are the OEM supplier for several other well-known makes of Motorhomes and other RVs all of which they have listings for. I was directed to tech help at Sherwin Williams and they actually supplied the formula for the color and informed me that the dealer could reproduce it with this info as all the tints are still used. Another interesting tidbit is that Sherwin Williams explained to me that some OEMs use Sherwin Williams products but formulate their own colors. This is the case with Newmar and it then requires the OEM to supply the formula to Sherwin Williams so that they can then reproduce it for repair needs. Another thumbs up to Newmar for supplying this to Sherwin Williams for the benefit of people like me!
Paul
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #2

At a good auto paint store they can use a computer to match any color. You will have to take in a sample for them to match. That could be the tough part. I took in a painted door latch.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahon1993 View Post
At a good auto paint store they can use a computer to match any color. You will have to take in a sample for them to match. That could be the tough part. I took in a painted door latch.
Greg
That was my experience. I had the paint codes but the shop said they preferred to mix their own to match (which allows for adjusting to fade, etc.) They did a great job with their computer match. I wonder why anyone even worries about getting paint codes/formulas any more. With the sophisticated computer matching available today, they really aren't needed.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
I agree as well on the computer matching. We needed four colors just for very minor touchups.

I got the paint codes and went to the paint store but they preferred to do a computer matching.

$50.00 for four 1/2 pint cans of a perfect match!
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #5

Wow! That's interesting I would have thought that the computer matching would be less accurate About ten years ago I had it done with so so results I guess techniques and/or equipment have improved
Thanks for the info I will go that route instead
Paul
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote