Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Parking brake will not release

Last month while in Tampa Florida we started home in our 2004 Dutch Star motorhome and when I tried to release the parking brakes, the yellow button you push in to release the parking brakes would not stay in and the brakes were locked. I called Spartan Chassis and was told the parking brake valve $37.00 (yellow button) was probably defective. It’s easy to change so I bought a new one and installed it......no change. I called Spartan back and they said the next part suspected would be the inversion valve. It’s not easy to get to, so I wanted to go home to fix this problem. I looked up on You Tube how to “Cage” the parking brakes and did so. We drove 600 miles home with no problems except my wife would have to get out and put chocks in front and behind a tire to keep us from rolling.

Changed the inversion valve which is buried behind the two air tanks and cost $176.00. No change! I called Spartan back and they said call Halidex the brake system manufacturer. I called and the guy said it’s got to be your rear brake boosters diaphragm internally broken. I called Napa and bought two of them and changed them out. $120.00 later....No change!

I’m really frustrated now and I call Spartan back and he said you need to take this to a shop that can troubleshoot and fix this. I said could you send me a schematic of the brake system, he said sure. I’m a former Air Force mechanic and C5 Flight Engineer and know how to read a schematic. I traced the source of air from the supply tanks to the parking brake release valve and guess what? The first thing out of the supply tanks is a two way / double check valve. I found it in front of the two air tanks and it was easy to get to and had it off in 15 minutes. Called Napa gave him the part number, $42.00 later I have the valve and installed it. Cranked the motorhome up built up air pressure and pushed in the parking brake release valve....Hallelujah! The parking brakes released!

Our motorhome is 14 years old now and rubber parts are starting to fail. I took the rear brake boosters apart and the big rubber diaphragm was dry rotted and cracked. I am going to go ahead and change the front boosters and the front air bags. I don’t want anymore sudden surprises. I changed the rear air bags last year.

Hope you find this information useful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	661F69BB-FEEA-4B87-88E5-4A393485E1B2.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	203146   Click image for larger version

Name:	C37A9E4C-9987-4A48-9DCB-079D2A49A4B7.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	203147  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FFAF1D3F-B6E4-4E79-9FD7-2983562609D9.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	203148   Click image for larger version

Name:	618125FF-E5CF-498D-A17E-8B9BA4F554DD.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	203149  

Nomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #2

Thanks for a great post . Hope this info helps others with similar issues.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:24 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Great post --- what was the part # for the check valve?
Old 05-18-2018, 06:57 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 426smartin View Post
Great post --- what was the part # for the check valve?
Meritor Wabco 9340990030
Nomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:06 AM   #5
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Very informative. Thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
Last month while in Tampa Florida we started home in our 2004 Dutch Star motorhome and when I tried to release the parking brakes, the yellow button you push in to release the parking brakes would not stay in and the brakes were locked. I called Spartan Chassis and was told the parking brake valve $37.00 (yellow button) was probably defective. It’s easy to change so I bought a new one and installed it......no change. I called Spartan back and they said the next part suspected would be the inversion valve. It’s not easy to get to, so I wanted to go home to fix this problem. I looked up on You Tube how to “Cage” the parking brakes and did so. We drove 600 miles home with no problems except my wife would have to get out and put chocks in front and behind a tire to keep us from rolling.

Changed the inversion valve which is buried behind the two air tanks and cost $176.00. No change! I called Spartan back and they said call Halidex the brake system manufacturer. I called and the guy said it’s got to be your rear brake boosters diaphragm internally broken. I called Napa and bought two of them and changed them out. $120.00 later....No change!

I’m really frustrated now and I call Spartan back and he said you need to take this to a shop that can troubleshoot and fix this. I said could you send me a schematic of the brake system, he said sure. I’m a former Air Force mechanic and C5 Flight Engineer and know how to read a schematic. I traced the source of air from the supply tanks to the parking brake release valve and guess what? The first thing out of the supply tanks is a two way / double check valve. I found it in front of the two air tanks and it was easy to get to and had it off in 15 minutes. Called Napa gave him the part number, $42.00 later I have the valve and installed it. Cranked the motorhome up built up air pressure and pushed in the parking brake release valve....Hallelujah! The parking brakes released!

Our motorhome is 14 years old now and rubber parts are starting to fail. I took the rear brake boosters apart and the big rubber diaphragm was dry rotted and cracked. I am going to go ahead and change the front boosters and the front air bags. I don’t want anymore sudden surprises. I changed the rear air bags last year.

Hope you find this information useful.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomads View Post
Meritor Wabco 9340990030
thanks !

Tags
brake