Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Part Prices

As we know, there aren't that many parts that are specific to Newmar. Nearly everything apart from cosmetic can be obtained elsewhere. Nonetheless, I -try- to order from Newmar whenever possible, if for nothing else, simplicity.

I used to get good pricing from them, but lately, the prices are easily 2-3x more than anywhere else. As a most recent example, I needed a part for the fridge. I contacted Newmar and the parts guy, super nice as always, was nearly hinting at ordering somewhere else, he even said "here's the part number if you want to 'think about it.'" I really appreciated his helping me out, but have to wonder why the sudden increase in pricing. They wanted over $250 for a part that I got for $69 elsewhere - shipped overnight.

Spartan is still pretty reasonable with pricing. Newmar is just off the charts the last couple of times I've called for quotes.

Any tricks to getting better pricing with Newmar, or are they just trying to make up for losses in other areas at the parts counter?

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2012, 03:47 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know if there's a way to get better prices. Sign of the times it seems. Have no idea what their overhead numbers are to operate but with the price of health insurance and the like going up adjustments need to be made. Oh, and there's always the profit margin on top of that. Can't say that it should be as high for an item as you've indicated but then maybe the guy on the phone also made a mistake. I mean that's about 72% difference. Jusst a thought.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #3

Frustrating situation for sure and Newmar dealers are even worse. I went to one in Orlando for a black tank flush tank check valve (the little white plastic one under the bathroom vanity). The price on the little ziploc bag was $53. Luckily I was able to get help here on the forum and found the part online for $3.25. That is not a typo. $53 at the dealer and $3.25 online. I realize businesses want to make a profit but that is beyond reasonable.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I wish someone from Newmar would provide the rationale for such high prices.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #5

I got a price of over $1200 for a grey tank sensor from Newmar . Shopped and found Newmar dealer in Midwest had one and sold it to me for $609. When it arrived it had a on the shelf price sticker of $93.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
When I needed a battery tray lock-latch (see photo), I checked with Newmar and found the price was $90+. I decided to not replace it and come up with an alternate locking method.

How can this latch justify $90???
Attached Images

Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
I got a price of over $1200 for a grey tank sensor from Newmar . Shopped and found Newmar dealer in Midwest had one and sold it to me for $609. When it arrived it had a on the shelf price sticker of $93.
perry - That specific example was/is primarily an e-Plex supply/demand/confusion issue.

BTW - Prices for parts bought AT Newmar in Nappanee are far lower than the mail order quote. Certainly there is a need to "protect their dealers" by not underselling them via mail order.

Newmar also sold parts (again at Nappanee) at a "winter discount" (like 15% off the regular "low" Nappanee price) in past years, not sure if that continued this winter.

Consider stopping by Nappanee and loading up anytime you are in the area. You will undoubtedly make up for the cost of fuel and chatting with the wonderful folks there is always a treat.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #8

I've been there. Ordered wiper blades from them for $68/piece and two weeks later when I was in there store, they had them on the shelf for $35. I know they have to make a buck. Don't blame them.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #9

You notice the Miller's run around in a Essex or King-Aire. Why are parts so high?

Really doesn't mean anything
Old 03-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Perry White,
I am surprised at the comments in post #9. The Miller's have not had a coach to "run around in" since 2008 (approximately). In 2011, Mahlon, purchased a coach for himself. It is a Dutch Star. If you are referring to the Newmar executive tour they do every spring, these coaches do not stay with the company. They have buyers for them before their tour. Upon returning to Nappanee, they are delivered to the dealer or customer.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Parts prices are sometimes outlandish and sometime a good deal. There is no rhyme or reason a customer can determine why this is so. I needed a new shower seat. The price was outrageous, but I could find no other supplier that had the seat in stock. I needed a new front top running light assembly. The price was the lowest I could find. Overall, I'm pleased with purchasing parts from Newmar. The reason is they will have the part or will find it for me. This is a service I am willing to pay for. For me, sometimes it is better to buy my way out of a problem.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Parts Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post
When I needed a battery tray lock-latch (see photo), I checked with Newmar and found the price was $90+. I decided to not replace it and come up with an alternate locking method.

How can this latch justify $90???
It is an old game. You will ask what the traffic will bear. It is up to us the 'User" to shop. You know Newmar might not get the best price themselves so their cost is where they start. I just went shopping for the 3rd brake lite. Finally found the mfg but by the time I bought out of town you have frt etc to get to the bottom line. It might make an interesting thread to list mfg part numbers for items that have been researched by our group.
benge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Have had some very good service with parts ordered from the Newmar service and parts department . They have always given me a quote with photograph of the part. I have never felt that I was obliged to buy from them. Like GaryKD said, it saves a lot of time and for me that represents money.

I would not participate in a program on this forum that would compare member's shopping price, parts numbers etc. for items for our Newmars. I feel this to be somewhat cheap and not necessary. In any circcumstance, one has the ability to research a better price, if one wishes to do that.
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote