RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Parts From Newmar SO Costly!!

Hi All:

Why are so many parts for Newmar rigs SO VERY COSTLY through Newmar? Reading here on iRV2 and on other sites having to do with Newmar, posters frequently relate the major difference in price for a part available through Newmar vs. some other source??? Frequently that difference is OUTRAGEOUS!!

Is it that Newmar doesn't want to compete with other parts providers?? Is it that Newmar doesn't want to be in the parts business? Is it that Newmar doesn't want to support their customers?

This disparity in prices, ranges from big parts, right down to some silly little nut or bolt or fastener item, and it sure is disheartening, since we really like Newmar, but it's almost as if they're out to gouge Newmar customers.

What gives????

Steve & Lynette

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #2

Actually some(few) parts are a bargain! IMHO they are not aware of some of their prices and need to review all prices to reflect a markup that is competitive in the marketplace. Some parts need to be price to cost while others need to be price to the market, with the sum total providing for the profit objective of the company.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:27 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I think it's like most part providers, if you're willing to do the research you can get a part for much less.

I've had similar experience with car dealers parts departments also, just got a rebuilt starter from an auto parts store for half dealer cost (dealers was rebuilt, too). Plus the auto parts store starter had a lifetime warranty, the dealers did not.

It's a little harder to find RV parts, but that's part of the reason iRV2.com and similar resources are so valuable, most of the time someone else has already found a supplier of the part that is hard to find at a better price.

OTOH, there are some parts I gladly go to Newmar for as they are custom and not available anywhere else. Those seem reasonably priced, interestingly enough. For example, I just replaced a slide driveshaft (several pieces of machined steel welded together) for about $100, since I don't weld and don't have a machine shop at my disposal I'd have had a hard time replicating this part myself for less money.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The higher priced the rig, the higher priced the parts...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
While not owning one of the more expensive Newmar's I have purchased parts from them for upgrades to my coach and have had them do work on my coach.
Have purchased parts from them while there and had parts shipped from them.
Haven't thought to much about cost because I wanted their in shop parts to match the coach.
We have owners annually visit Newmar for service and upgrades and satisfied with the work and price for it. Spartan service is the same on visits there also.
To find cheaper parts may be what some want but I'll stick for their replacements of original parts.
Most of the parts on my coach still function as well now as they did when I purchased the coach.
When you purchase all the bells and whistles on some of higher end coach's you will have more brake downs because of their top of the line operation for the features they will do for you.
If you went direct to mfg for replacement part may cost just as much.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #6

Inventory costs may also be a factor. A business can have a great deal of money tied up in inventory. I purchased a slide topper from All Seasons in Elkart. Newmar gave me a price that was was much higher and was told it would take two weeks. All Seasons shipped it to me 3 days later. They both get them from the same Dometic source I would suspect.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I've found Newmar pricing on parts to be all over the map (for market competitiveness). This past fall I got my Koni shocks from Cummins in Elkhart for 1/2 of what Newmar wanted for the same thing. Both Newmar and Cummins do not stock the shocks. The best I can tell, Newmar prices in their overhead, profit and whatever into each part. If one wants it, they will be pleased to sell it. If not, then it's off to Google.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
I've found Newmar pricing on parts to be all over the map (for market competitiveness). This past fall I got my Koni shocks from Cummins in Elkhart for 1/2 of what Newmar wanted for the same thing. Both Newmar and Cummins do not stock the shocks. The best I can tell, Newmar prices in their overhead, profit and whatever into each part. If one wants it, they will be pleased to sell it. If not, then it's off to Google.
Gary, you are giving them way to much credit. Having spent many hours in the parts department, waiting in line, all I can say is they do not have any method to their pricing madness!

Don 't mean to be harsh(as my first post was to politely point out their lack of marketing expertise), as I will always first try to buy from Newmar, but times are achangin' and the politics need to go by the wayside.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:10 AM   #9

Cool

I've never felt that Newmar's price for specific parts is anymore expensive than any other company. I found many of their prices quite good. And keep in mind I spent over $20k there this past summer.

Peter
Old 11-16-2010, 06:18 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I spoke with the Newmar Brass at the International Rally about this same subject. I told them that I needed new entry steps, called for price quote $765.00 plus labor. Call Lippert maker of steps $545.00 installed and was located 3 miles from International Rally.
Had new 3 new toppers put on at Factory charged just for materials. They also said they would look into their prices. Next time I see the Newmar Brass I spoke with, I will see if they looked into the problem on some of the Prices.
IMHO most prices are acceptable.
Some crazy prices
Screen for shower drain $8.00+ do not need complete drain assembly just screen.
26" Sharp TV $752.00
Toilet Spray hose and head $92.00[Lowes 14.95] Thelford retail $59.95.[and includes anti-siphon value].
Again as Newmar looks to get into the Repair and Vehicle service big time, they must adjust what they charge for parts.
With that being said I will still have Newmar Service and repair our Coach.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Well,.....interesting variety of thoughts related to the pricing of Newmar parts.

When necessary to get a part to fix something, (and THAT'S been rare due to the quality of Newmar rigs), we too prefer to obtain such a needed part direct from Newmar. By the way, contrary to one comment made, we don't find it at all necessarily true that "......you will have more brake (break) downs....." if you select a higher end rig with ".....bells and whistles...." Yup,....there are more things (ie. features) that could malfunction, but, DON'T !!

Anyway, a number of posters over the past HAVE noted some pretty big differences in the prices for parts obtainable from Newmar vs. elsewhere, and, I was simply curious. Have learned alot from your feedback. Thanks.

Steve & Lynette
Old 11-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #12

We should remember that Newmar does not make parts like what most are discussing They do make the body and cabinets, etc. My slide topper from All Seasons is the same topper (A & E) that Newmar was going to send me, but much less expensive.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi mercerc44,
You are correct with the need to remember many parts Newmar buys and then resells to us. This is where Google comes in quite handy. Anytime I need a big buck item, that is available from several different sources, I'd be foolish to pay an inflated Newmar price for no value add on their part of the process.

Newmar also needs to determine if they want a volume or boutique parts business. Maybe they have already done this and we are witnessing the results. (boutique parts business)
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #14

As someone who has worked in the Service/Parts division of a manufacturing company for several years, Newmar is the rule, not the exception.

An SP division or department can be a very lucrative profit center (x4 markup is typical) because many times they have customers by the short hairs -- get it from us or don't get it.

However, as noted in previous postings, the Internet is changing that. The idea (also posted above) that original manufacturer parts are inherently superior is BS.