RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
BBelanger's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Caribou, Maine
Posts: 1,832
Passenger seat inop

Passenger electric seat will not operate. I've checked the fuse. Newmar dealer cannot get us in in time for our trip. Any suggestions on where to look next? Can't find any loose wires.
Thanks
Bill Belanger
__________________

__________________
Bill & Chris Bélanger (KI1Z)
'04 Georgetown XL > '17 4018 DSDP FL > '18 DSDP 4327 K2
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Russ Silber's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Space Coast Fl
Posts: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Passenger electric seat will not operate. I've checked the fuse. Newmar dealer cannot get us in in time for our trip. Any suggestions on where to look next? Can't find any loose wires.
Thanks
Bill Belanger
Usually plug and play. Check to make sure plugs are snug together.
__________________

Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
WoodyS's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 405
It's usually one of the wires has pulled out of the plug -- the plug that's about a foot off the floor. If you rotate the seat in the wrong direction and wrap the cable around the seat post -- something has to go -- and it's usually a wire that pulls out of the connector. Either a connector comes out, or a wire pulls out of a connector.

How do I know this? 'Cuz I've done it. In my case the pulled wire was obvious and I was able to take the improperly crimped connector out of the plastic connector housing, pull it off the end of the wire, open it up, put the wire back in and crimp it tightly. And then reassemble.

And it's worked ever since. But I'm really careful about how I rotate that seat now and make absolutely sure I'm not going the wrong way and wrapping that cable around the post again.
__________________
Woody & Sandy
2003 Chinook Cascade
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3623
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:56 PM   #4
Community Moderator
 
TonyDi's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 16,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
It's usually one of the wires has pulled out of the plug -- the plug that's about a foot off the floor. If you rotate the seat in the wrong direction and wrap the cable around the seat post -- something has to go -- and it's usually a wire that pulls out of the connector. Either a connector comes out, or a wire pulls out of a connector.

How do I know this? 'Cuz I've done it. In my case the pulled wire was obvious and I was able to take the improperly crimped connector out of the plastic connector housing, pull it off the end of the wire, open it up, put the wire back in and crimp it tightly. And then reassemble.

And it's worked ever since. But I'm really careful about how I rotate that seat now and make absolutely sure I'm not going the wrong way and wrapping that cable around the post again.
__________________
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Blue Ox Aventa LX, and AF1. TST 507 TPMS
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:03 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
BBelanger's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Caribou, Maine
Posts: 1,832
Checking the plug I found the red power wire hanging. When I looked I could see where it had “fallen” out of the plug. It was a solder or crimp connection but had neither been soldered nor crimped. Not sure why it worked so long other than the rubber boot was holding it in. Thanks for all the replies.
Bill Bélanger
__________________
Bill & Chris Bélanger (KI1Z)
'04 Georgetown XL > '17 4018 DSDP FL > '18 DSDP 4327 K2
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:31 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
WoodyS's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
It was a solder or crimp connection but had neither been soldered nor crimped. Not sure why it worked so long other than the rubber boot was holding it in. Thanks for all the replies.
Bill Bélanger
It's a crimp connection -- and apparently the same person who installed ours, installed yours! Ours was barely crimped. But that was good. I was able to remove the crimp from the connector, open it up a little, stick the wire back in and crimp it properly.

I don't know who is responsible for crimping these wires -- Newmar or Flexsteel -- but whomever it is, isn't doing it.

I now carry a crimp tool in the coach all the time.
__________________

__________________
Woody & Sandy
2003 Chinook Cascade
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3623
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing front seat driver and passenger seat covers - Flexsteel ualdriver MH-General Discussions & Problems 110 01-24-2019 06:19 PM
Passenger side rear slide out inop al_mers Travel Supreme Owner's Forum 4 11-26-2018 05:04 PM
Drivers seat Inop. mikefrazier2 Class A Motorhome Discussions 6 03-20-2016 08:27 PM
passenger seat in 2007 34h journey jash Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 4 12-14-2008 06:13 PM
Child seat in the passenger seat? Letsgoagain Monaco Owner's Forum 3 06-04-2008 05:46 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.