Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #1

Passengers safety when traveling

Visiting with one of our fellow Newmar owners who shared the sad story of one of their friends spouse who was killed in a RV crash. Must say this is very sad sad story. There friends were traveling and his wife got up to do something and they were in a crash that had her go throw the front windshield and the RV drove over her. After this his wife and he came up with a plan which they hope will lessen the chance of this happening to them. Their plan is if he sees a crash coming up and she is up he will scream loud HIT THE FLOOR. This made so much since we have made it part of our driving. Good idea to stay in our seats with seat belts on but if one does get up should be short for the safety anyone standing up in a wreck. This our suggestion to all RVer's and safe travels.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #2

While I've always thought that would be the safest place to be (if not seated), it may be better to yell "CRASH, hit the floor" Hit the floor is to many words to react. It could even mean get the door. The word CRASH is unmistakable.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #3

There won’t be enough time.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think it's a good idea. My wife and I have discussed this in the past. First, she doesn't get up unless I see that the road is straight and there is no traffic coming up. She also knows that if I yell to "sit down", she'll plant her butt on the floor. Will it save her or prevent injuries, who knows, but it's better to have a plan and try something than ignore the issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:07 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Getting up a moving about a motorhome while its in motion is a very risky move as one never knows when an accident or tire blow-out will occur. My wife and I abide by the seat belt laws that a common in every state -- driver and all passengers required to wear seat belts at all times! The only time we're not wearing seat belts is when our MH is safely parked somewhere......
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
My wife and I abide by the seat belt laws that a common in every state -- driver and all passengers required to wear seat belts at all times! ....
Just a small point of clarification, the only place in motorhome that is required by law to wear seatbelts is the front seats. When the passenger seatbelt law was passed in IL, I asked my congressmen about it. The law does not apply to the coach part of the vehicle. Not intending to discuss the validity of ones behavior, but just clarifying the law.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:14 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Well...….I don't think this post was about upsetting the seatbelt police. We'd own a fifth wheel if we wanted to never use the facilities while underway.

If my wife never took her seatbelt off while driving, we would have to stop every hour so she could pee!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:40 PM   #8

So she hits the floor and then slides head first into the dash.
I will probably yell something, but it will most likely only have 4 letters.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:51 PM   #9

when we travel, the driver(thats me) is belted and anybody in the passenger seat. others 'are free to move about the cabin'. that is the reason we have a MH, not a trailer. wife is making coffee, cooking, doing dishes, sitting at dining table doing crafts, etc.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:14 AM   #10

We are never on much of a schedule. I like to stop every couple of hours to get out and check things over and take a short break. The DW rarely gets up and moves around while we are underway.

It really boils down to a personal choice. We all have that "it probably will never happen to me" attitude. Due to my career I am more inclined to believe it could very well happen to me so I tend to be a little more cautious.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:18 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Well I am an old man, those of you who share that malady, also know the reasons I need to stop about once an hour, compounded by the travel mug filled with coffee I am swilling down as we travel. BH has a bad knee, if she sits for long time, she cannot walk and so me having to stop, and her trick knee works out, she gets to walk around and I get to water the plants as it were. She has gotten up, while in motion, but it has to be long straight non hilly stretch of road, or she will get sick. So stopping is good for both of us. But having some loud shout out about "CRASH" or something is a good idea.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:44 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A few years ago I was traveling in my DSDP. I had 3 friends with me, towing a trailer with 4 ATVs.

I was driving, doing about 60. One guy was laying on the couch, another was sitting at the table and the 3rd was sleeping in pass seat. Out of no where a deer stepped into the road and stared at me.

I hit the brakes hard, watching the trailer to make sure it didnt swing off the road.

The guy laying on the couch was brought into a fully seated position, almost bending in half. The one sitting at the dinette didnt get phased much, but did spill his drink.

Passenger woke up startled, but seat belt did its job.

A review of the dashcam showed I had slowed to 15mph by the time the deer was struck. The deer survived, running off after it saw 4 men coming out of the bus.

The damage to the RV was around $10k, but no one was hurt.

It was obvious that only the front 2 seats will completely hold you in place.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #13

Several years ago, I was a passenger in the wreck of a motor home that was being used as an engineering test vehicle. The wreck was not caused by any production-related equipment.

From the time we knew we had a problem until impact, there was only time for a single four-letter word and that word was "Oops!" and there was no time at all to move. I don't believe having the driver shout anything will have any significant effect.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #14

DW seldom gets out of the seatbelt. Occasionally to reshut door that came open , or to get a snack on a long drive. Always make sure there’s a clear view of the road ahead. Hitting the floor and going feet 1st into the dash would be a best case scenario in a worst case. But attempting that is better than not.

Tags
safety, travel