RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #15

Rd1 Great report on the FL chassis issue. This tag axle problem has been going on for almost 2 years we no answer to the real problem from FL.

tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #16

well, i decided to go with a spartan...

when i first decided to pull the trigger on the DS, that was my thought...

so i'm sticking with it.....

willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:10 AM   #17

The tag axle issue is almost all but gone and the light bar flicker issue is too.
ChassisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:34 AM   #18

Almost?
DrPhil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChassisGuy View Post
The tag axle issue is almost all but gone and the light bar flicker issue is too.
Glad that's almost gone...so now can follow the Spartan's new problem,more bad ball joints....that was almost gone a few years ago,,then was replaced with cracked steering box then that was almost gone and wow, the ball joints have come back.....and/or the Entegra front end problems...think that's a Spartan problem,also...I do know,that Entegra coaches fill the spaces at the Spartan's service center...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #20
Rd1

Quote:
Is friehgliner acknowledging this issue has been in existence? is fccc issuing a recall for all those 2015 thru 2017 models that have this problem? To benefit all those owners who are not aware of their tag and alignment problems?

Can the flickering/viper and other elec issues be resolved at any freightliner dealer?

-----------------------------------------

For the forum in general, I do not look at these issues so much as mine is better than yours. I see all of us in the same boat, regardless of what you own. I have benefited from others to find out about problems and solutions. Where I take issues, is when the known problems are kept under the carpet. Regardless of which chassis or coach builder is responsible.

Many of us, in general, are retired or at retiring age, or even for those who work, we have spent a life time, a life time of work and savings to buy one of these. To enjoy whats left of the golden years. To hand over such sizable savings and be left with a known defect, from any manufacturer, is despicable.

Most of these companies are very profitable. More than profitable. For them to take responsibility and spend the extra time and effort to QC their product is in consequential vs for many of us who may end up getting stuck with a defective unit. Anyone who has gone thru that experience can appreciate its impact. Now, I understand it is a house on wheels, etc, etc.. however, when there are known problems, it is criminal for any manufacturer to dump their problem, for profit, to their customers.

This is when this forum and its members can be valuable to identify the problem and force the manufacturer's to be responsible. After all, anyone of us could be the next (not so) lucky owner of a defective unit. It won't be the first, but could be the last if all owners/consumers hold the manufacturer to account regardless of a ball joint, or a slide, or a tag issues. It only effects all of us one way or another, sooner or later. We are all in same the boat.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsbl77 View Post
On the DSDP FCC chassis with tag axel the rear end ratio is 4.63. On the Spartan chassis it is 4.78. Small difference but when headed "up the hill" everything matters. All together these many differences between Freightliner and Spartan made the choice for me.
The most obvious was FCC continuing to manufacture defective product when they knew it was wrong (out of alignment frames). Next was 2 years to fix the flickering dash lights. 2 years......
In my small view of the world I believe if a company thinks it is acceptable to knowingly manufacture defective product the company cannot be depended upon to be truthful in dealing with customers. The phrase "never heard of that before" comes to mind.

Bob
looks like for 2018, for freight liner, in addition to going to 12K on the tag, the rear went to a 4.78...

and my tiffin has had flickering dash lights....but only when i try to dim them.....if i leave them on the brightest setting, they are fine...
Old 06-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I suggest you get the spec sheets for both chassis, as designed for the coach you want, from the RV manufacturer. There are other differences. For example, the slightly higher cargo capacity on the Spartan is due, at least in part, to the fact that it is all digital. This eliminates a few miles of wire, thus some weight. Before we ordered our coach I spoke to the head chassis tech at Newmar and he said his preference was the Spartan if for no reason other than trouble shooting was so much easier, given the digital system. Plug in and the chassis will tell you what is wrong, where the fault is, no spending hours testing multiple circuits. A bit more height in the "basement" on the Spartan (1.5"), a tighter steer axle cut (should make up for the so slight difference in the tag axle cut).

You need to compare the RV manufactures spec sheets for the chassis, the chassis manufacturers site will not include limitations built in by the RV manufacturer. For example, the wheel cut on both Freightliner and Spartan are a bit less in application due to body design and wheel/tire choice.

Generally I agree with those that suggest the passive steer tag is more marketing than real world useful. But that said, there was a recent thread on the differences between the Freightliner and Spartan and the Spartan system looked a lot more robust to me. Also, while I'd hope they've been taken care of in production by now, the Freightliner chassis issues have been well documented here.
i find the spec sheets quite interesting. to my eye, it is a case of the use of bolt on parts from suppliers vs. parts designed right to the spec needed. i was always leaning towards the spartan for higher capacities. freight liner has appeared to even the numbers game on paper, but there is a little more there, to my eye, at least. it is all in the eye of the beer holder at the end of the day. i have been very happy with the freight liner chassis under my tiffin. but i'm changing the tiffin, so i might as well change the chassis, too. what the hay. maybe i'll walk into a ball joint problem to keep it all interesting.....
Old 06-07-2017, 07:34 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
i find the spec sheets quite interesting. to my eye, it is a case of the use of bolt on parts from suppliers vs. parts designed right to the spec needed. i was always leaning towards the spartan for higher capacities. freight liner has appeared to even the numbers game on paper, but there is a little more there, to my eye, at least. it is all in the eye of the beer holder at the end of the day. i have been very happy with the freight liner chassis under my tiffin. but i'm changing the tiffin, so i might as well change the chassis, too. what the hay. maybe i'll walk into a ball joint problem to keep it all interesting.....
The "ball joint problem" most recent was a recall. Current production is not affected. When I did the FPU on my 4018 I inquired about the recall. My coach produced in March of 2017 was not listed.

Bob
BBorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Is the tag axle issue a TSB or what?

What is the viper issue mentioned in this thread?

I'll be in Gaffney next month for CF and service.

Things on my list to ask about:
Dash flicker
Tag axle alignment
Wipers
Steering wheel hiss. Chassisguy told me this is normal but gonna ask about it anyway since it bugs me.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:18 PM   #25
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Is the tag axle issue a TSB or what?.

It was/is a PIB issued by newmar. the original one included a report from an fccc engineer indicating the problem was known in early 2015. freightlliner has since removed their copy. you can find the original version in the irv2 file downloads;

http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=212
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
I'll be in Gaffney next month for CF and service.

Things on my list to ask about:
Dash flicker
Tag axle alignment
Wipers
Steering wheel hiss. Chassisguy told me this is normal but gonna ask about it anyway since it bugs me.

I just left Gaffney from attending CF and getting a service. While there got a light bar flash that fixes the flickering dash and Mike will explain the hiss.

Spike
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd1 View Post
It was/is a PIB issued by newmar. the original one included a report from an fccc engineer indicating the problem was known in early 2015. freightlliner has since removed their copy. you can find the original version in the irv2 file downloads;

http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=212
Thanks for this.

On another thread here someone referenced Gaffney doing tag alignments but it implied they were doing them as a "preventative" measure. Anybody know?

Pilotspike thanks for the info.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
preventive measure....?

Helps prevent lawsuits...

BBorgo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, spartan