Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #43

When I need to call Spartan with a question I always get a answer to my question from a person who knows. Maybe Neal to go to both FL forum and the Newmar forums to hear FL owners problems. There is a difference between the chassis and Spartan is the better of the two. Get a Spartan chassis and you will know.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2018, 09:25 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
When I need to call Spartan with a question I always get a answer to my question from a person who knows. Maybe Neal to go to both FL forum and the Newmar forums to hear FL owners problems. There is a difference between the chassis and Spartan is the better of the two. Get a Spartan chassis and you will know.

I have had the same experience, including a time when the rep was willing to say “I don’t know, let me talk to engineering” he got back to me with an answer that same day. I respect that
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rd1 View Post
Even if Fl may have fixed the tag axle and drive axle alignment issues, it took more than 2 years. FL failed to issue any recalls for all those units. What happens to all those units whose owners are not aware and are still driving around with the out of alignment tags and drive axles? The problem was known to FL since early 2015. Why they neglected to issue a recall? Is that a sign of a good company? Yes there are many decent people who work there, I have known a couple. It is their management and decision makers who are irresponsible to put it politely. criminal is more apt.

same goes for the fan housing support frame. There has been no recall for that defective design either. What happens to those owners who may experience that failure after the warranty is over? The owner will be paying for it not FL.. That is the sign of an irresponsible corporation. specially one that makes many many $Billions in profit. It is not like by recalling some 2000 units is going to break their bank account. Likely just some looser manager/exec who is covering his incompetence.
I couldn't agree more. FL needs to issue recall for whole fan gearbox assembly.... Have a 2015 DUTCHSTAR and have five(5) fan gearbox installations....FL says not to worry...."if you get stranded, we will send a tow truck". Seriously?
Old 09-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwalker View Post
I couldn't agree more. FL needs to issue recall for whole fan gearbox assembly.... Have a 2015 DUTCHSTAR and have five(5) fan gearbox installations....FL says not to worry...."if you get stranded, we will send a tow truck". Seriously?

Out of the five, what happens to the component? Is there something to look for? At what mileage does it fail?
Old 09-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
1st fail...2500 miles. LLLOOOOUUUUDDDD fan. box leaking.

2nd fail after 12k more miles leaky box.

3rd fail after 8k more. loud-ish leaking oil.

4th fail only after 1400 miles.

FL says fixed. lolololol
webwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #48
jrs

At this point, we're going with FL next yr when we order. Going to Hershey again next week to look at options. Lots of happy FL owners and can't justify a $3500 higher cost. Spartan has issues too.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
[QUOTE=NealC;4017472]When you're trying to push Spartan you hold on to FL problems, even though FL has fixed them. Spartan has pretty ugly issues of their own as noted on this forum. FL has the best customer service, they call you, you can email them, service centers all over, much larger market depth and experience in this market space, much larger company. All vendors have their problems, some representing one will bash the other. I could not be happier with my FL, I've had great experiences with them and they are patient in handling my questions. And maneuverability is very important in large motorhomes.[/QUOTE

You are correct Neal,they both have their problems with their mfg and service
Had 3 Spartan 's on the last 3 DP we've had...all 3 had leaking radiators;on all 3 had to replace the Bell Crank and 2 need Ball Joints
Went to Mi,twice for service...first time was as you would hope
The last coach and last time in Mi for service was a disasterlady
Asked them to do 44point inspection and check for air leak and get 2 steer tires and an alignment...got the tires and asked on inspection,he said ,yea,looks ok...now this was a Friday
Week later broke down with an air leak and leaking radiator
Said,never buy another Spartan....C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:37 PM   #50

The last two coaches I had were on a Spartan and was real happy with the service. Could call and get a dedicated appointment time at the factory. Usually in and out in one day. We just got a new to us 2016 DSDP. The only thing I was hesitant about the purchase was that it was on a Freightliner chassis. Today I called the nearest Freightliner service center to make an appointment to get some recalls taken care of as the chassis is still under warranty. To my disappointment and dismay they said they don’t make appointments and is first come first served. Was told to bring in coach and leave to get in line and would get to it in about 4 days. What? Not real comfortable with this process. I hope this is not indicative of all Freightliner shops. Will call other shops further away from home.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:40 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
The last two coaches I had were on a Spartan and was real happy with the service. Could call and get a dedicated appointment time at the factory. Usually in and out in one day. We just got a new to us 2016 DSDP. The only thing I was hesitant about the purchase was that it was on a Freightliner chassis. Today I called the nearest Freightliner service center to make an appointment to get some recalls taken care of as the chassis is still under warranty. To my disappointment and dismay they said they don’t make appointments and is first come first served. Was told to bring in coach and leave to get in line and would get to it in about 4 days. What? Not real comfortable with this process. I hope this is not indicative of all Freightliner shops. Will call other shops further away from home.
not my experience with FL......my tiffin was on a FL and always had excellent service from the shops i used.....i think that was the shop you called....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
It's really not a fair comparison to compare a Freightliner dealer with the Spartan Factory Service Ctr....now call Freightliner Service Ctr in Gaffney,SC and do the comparison....That's Apples to Apples...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #53
jrs

At the Hershey Show, asked 2 of the Newmar Techs on hand (a small tent set up like previous yrs) which chassis they would get if purchasing a 43ft DS and both said Spartan. Both knew of the $3,500 extra cost and said it was worth it. Both said there seems to be less problems with the Spartan. Asked each one separately when the other wasn't around. One said Spartan is better built and stiffer. To me, both Techs saying this is telling.

The Newmar Engineer on hand at the show felt both are similar.

The dust storm issue with the FL has been handled. All new FLs have a thick plate installed below the fan.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
It's really not a fair comparison to compare a Freightliner dealer with the Spartan Factory Service Ctr....now call Freightliner Service Ctr in Gaffney,SC and do the comparison....That's Apples to Apples...C

Fair point chuckster52. The Spartan Factory is just 45 minutes from my house and that is where I always went for service. I have had service work done at Spartan recommended facilities around the country and have never got such a poor response when requesting an appointment. But hopefully it is just this shop and will have better luck at others.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
At this point, we're going with FL next yr when we order. Going to Hershey again next week to look at options. Lots of happy FL owners and can't justify a $3500 higher cost. Spartan has issues too.

Do some searching on some of the less obvious systems. Besides the mentioned digital communication that saves about 1000 lbs the air tanks on the FCC chassis are plastic while Spartan is metal. That is what used in the heavy duty world.

Heavier duty rails, more clearance, the difference just continue....

That said which ever you choose at least you can take comfort with Comfort Drive! [emoji2][emoji2]
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:33 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
Apples, Oranges, or Sour Grapes

With great interest I've read the Freightliner vs. Spartan thread about steerable tags. I have two observations to make.

1) I see a lot of coaches with tags while working KOAs in the summer. This past summer we were at a campground where a steerable tag was an asset. That includes the tags where the owner thinks to take the pressure off the tag. A steerable tag is impressive to watch and the pavement doesn't take a beating.

2) If you like Freightliner, go with Freightliner. If you like Spartan, go with Spartan. The same can be said for tires; if you like Michelin, stick with them and if you like Good Year...you get the picture. Both have advantages and both have issues. To me, service is the important issue and I live closer to South Carolina than Michigan. Guess which I choose.

Tags
freightliner, spartan