Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #29

Our coach is the latest casualty of this issue. Arrived at Newmar last night with a short list of unrelated repair items, and this morning noticed the driver's side tag tire was totally bald as the coach was leaving for service. Pieces of the steel belt are sticking up in the air, the tread area is shaved totally bald, and there are flat spots at the edge around the entire circumference of the tire every 10" or so. I have never seen anything like this before.

The coach has to be driven to Freightliner in South Bend, and cannot get in until sometime next week so this will become an extended repair visit. Newmar said they have seen this one time before. Our production number is not listed in the PIB but the production date is April 2016.

We were lucky this was discovered before we hit the road again. There can't be more than a few miles left before the tire blows, which would have been quite bad for the rear fender area, some engine parts as well as our Mini Cooper toad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0288.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	172412   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	172413  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
Our coach is the latest casualty of this issue. Arrived at Newmar last night with a short list of unrelated repair items, and this morning noticed the driver's side tag tire was totally bald as the coach was leaving for service. Pieces of the steel belt are sticking up in the air, the tread area is shaved totally bald, and there are flat spots at the edge around the entire circumference of the tire every 10" or so. I have never seen anything like this before.

The coach has to be driven to Freightliner in South Bend, and cannot get in until sometime next week so this will become an extended repair visit. Newmar said they have seen this one time before. Our production number is not listed in the PIB but the production date is April 2016.

We were lucky this was discovered before we hit the road again. There can't be more than a few miles left before the tire blows, which would have been quite bad for the rear fender area, some engine parts as well as our Mini Cooper toad.

How many miles do you have on the coach?
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #31

Just over 8000
Old 08-14-2017, 05:31 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
2015 Non-Steerable Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
I too feel the passive steering tag is just a marketing hype. It is a great solution for a problem that never existed. Motorhomes did fine with air up or unloaded tags. They are not buses that might have to turn in confined hotel parking lots 6 times a day. And it is definitely not about tire wear "Scrub" The standard air up tag tires lasted as long, in fact better, than the rest of the tire positions.

No, this marvelous answer to a non-existing problem is in fact an added mechanical issue.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Peter
Went to go look at a 2018 MA, as the young man was moving some passive tag axle M/H's all I could do is cringe. I guess you have to be straight before you start in reverse as he did give it time to lock in place and drug tires at a angle side ways. I told him and he just shrugged me off, maybe I am wrong!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:46 PM   #33

Newmar and Spartan are a great combination which has worked for many years and is still the best choice today.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Went to go look at a 2018 MA, as the young man was moving some passive tag axle M/H's all I could do is cringe. I guess you have to be straight before you start in reverse as he did give it time to lock in place and drug tires at a angle side ways. I told him and he just shrugged me off, maybe I am wrong!
You are right, you need to drive straight a couple of feet for the pins to engage before you reverse. I saw a tech move a Mountain Aire before the bags fully aired up. But when I stopped him and told him at least he stopped and waited for them to fill. I guess some of these guys either are in to big of a hurry or don't care.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:12 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Can you please explain what it means that:
slightly higher cargo capacity on the Spartan is due, at least in part, to the fact that it is all digital
Refining my choices on our DS 2018 4362 about to be ordered - thx!
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:22 PM   #36

Solo Rvers Club
Right move, Paul !!
Enjoy 🚎
gfmii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:50 PM   #37

We keep hearing that this tag axle problem has been taken care of by FL, but still a lot of owners from DS to Essex on FL still working on this problem.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:59 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
When you're trying to push Spartan you hold on to FL problems, even though FL has fixed them. Spartan has pretty ugly issues of their own as noted on this forum. FL has the best customer service, they call you, you can email them, service centers all over, much larger market depth and experience in this market space, much larger company. All vendors have their problems, some representing one will bash the other. I could not be happier with my FL, I've had great experiences with them and they are patient in handling my questions. And maneuverability is very important in large motorhomes.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:29 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
When you're trying to push Spartan you hold on to FL problems, even though FL has fixed them. Spartan has pretty ugly issues of their own as noted on this forum. FL has the best customer service, they call you, you can email them, service centers all over, much larger market depth and experience in this market space, much larger company. All vendors have their problems, some representing one will bash the other. I could not be happier with my FL, I've had great experiences with them and they are patient in handling my questions. And maneuverability is very important in large motorhomes.

Neal, now thinking like you, how do you know that “FL has the best customer service”? Have you owned a Spartan? Taken your Spartan in for service? Just curious
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:45 PM   #40

I have owned both FL and Spartan. I can say the build quality is much better on the Spartan. Also feel the service is superior as well. Spartan has been in the luxury coach world for years. Fl has been in the low end market for years and is making an attempt to get into the luxury market over the last 3 or 4 years.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:02 PM   #41
Rd1

Even if Fl may have fixed the tag axle and drive axle alignment issues, it took more than 2 years. FL failed to issue any recalls for all those units. What happens to all those units whose owners are not aware and are still driving around with the out of alignment tags and drive axles? The problem was known to FL since early 2015. Why they neglected to issue a recall? Is that a sign of a good company? Yes there are many decent people who work there, I have known a couple. It is their management and decision makers who are irresponsible to put it politely. criminal is more apt.

same goes for the fan housing support frame. There has been no recall for that defective design either. What happens to those owners who may experience that failure after the warranty is over? The owner will be paying for it not FL.. That is the sign of an irresponsible corporation. specially one that makes many many $Billions in profit. It is not like by recalling some 2000 units is going to break their bank account. Likely just some looser manager/exec who is covering his incompetence.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:18 PM   #42
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman62 View Post
Fl has been in the low end market for years and is making an attempt to get into the luxury market over the last 3 or 4 years.
That is exactly the reason. IMHO, FL just took their entry level chassis, which was a fine chassis for the 20-30k# coaches, and modified it for the hi-line. I can't speak for VT or DS, but for the hi-lines, it is a very poor design, even if it didn't have all the known defects. It simply is not fit for the #40+K units. IMO they just modified their 40' chassis and assembly line to make it a 45' chassis and extend the chassis rails to add the tag axle. Thats why they had the problems with the alignments. They also modified the front axle for the #20k weight. The likely reason the driver side toe link is bent, in order to relocate the shock and other components to increase the weight rating. You have to ask, what kinda engineer would design a chassis from scratch with a bent toe link????

This passive steer chassis, was not designed for the hi-lines. it was a modified version of an inferior chassis to make a quick jump into the hi-line market.

Tags
freightliner, spartan