Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #1

PDI

Do most Newmar charge for pre delivery inspection?
Rolano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #2

We were not charged by our dealer for PDI

Mike
2018 DS 4326
Kimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolano View Post
How much?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolano View Post
In one way or another, all dealers charge for PDI; some include it in the price, others state it separately. Either way, you are paying for it!

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:00 PM   #5

We are not being charged by our dealer for our upcoming PDI
Pikkleballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #6

A lot of times the PDI is included in the down payment. At most dealerships they collect the down payment when the deal is agreed upon. This covers the cost of the PDI and cleaning if the customer backs out of the deal.

Mark
Old 04-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #7

I'm getting very close to placing an order for a '19 Ventana. I've contacted dealers that charge for PDI's and multiple that don't. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.

What I can say is that you shouldn't assume that those that give the highest discounts make it up by charging for a PDI.

In my limited experience, the ones that have said they charge for PDI charges were closer to 23% discount where others are 26-29% discount and don't charge for PDI.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:39 AM   #8

PDI

I was told by a tech at the dealer, Newmar pays the dealer nine hours of labor for the PDI. I don't know that to be fact. I do know that I spent 5 days inspecting my coach prior to signing any paperwork. When I asked for a ladder to look at the top, it was hinted that was not done. The dealer brought out a forklift with a cage on it and asked if I intended to actually get on the roof. I said yes and assured them I would not hold them responsible if I fell off.
I found many things (3 pages) of items that needed to be fixed or replaced prior to me closing the deal. This included replacing the 8 house batteries. I mentioned that the coach has been on the lot almost a year and the chances someone forgetting to turn off the salesman switch was high. They agreed.
Granted this is my first RV of any kind. I do realize complicated equipment have teething problems. I worked on large aircraft for 38 years. I would never fly on a brand new airplane.
There are some good PDI lists on this forum and apps for your phone. Do your best to look at everything twice and ask questions. Listen to the answers. It is your money, so get the best value you can.
Good luck and be safe.
John
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #9

One of the dealers I've talked to (a Newmar Platinum dealer) about the '19 I'm about to order encourages their customers to spend three days on site (they have an adjacent camp ground) to insure everything is fully functional and to address any and all items during an extended PDI/shakedown session. They charge nothing for PDI (nor doc fees or any other hidden stuff) and are one of the most aggressive pricing dealers out there.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
One of the dealers I've talked to (a Newmar Platinum dealer) about the '19 I'm about to order encourages their customers to spend three days on site (they have an adjacent camp ground) to insure everything is fully functional and to address any and all items during an extended PDI/shakedown session. They charge nothing for PDI (nor doc fees or any other hidden stuff) and are one of the most aggressive pricing dealers out there.

Thanks so much to everyone. Great info!
Rolano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:27 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Do you mind sharing the name?
Old 04-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
Do you mind sharing the name?
Coachlight. You will find a number of people on here who said they got the best price of anyone they contacted from Coachlight. First quote, no having to negotiate them down.

You can search the forum for some comments on them.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have heard many good things about them and called them. They along with most others had nothing I could order. Wanting to order a 2018 limited my choices to a few. I went with N.T. with the best price. I thought about waiting for a 2019 but thought (hoping) the last 2018 would have less problems than the first 2019. Time will tell. Now if July will hurry up and get here.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
I have heard many good things about them and called them. They along with most others had nothing I could order. Wanting to order a 2018 limited my choices to a few. I went with N.T. with the best price. I thought about waiting for a 2019 but thought (hoping) the last 2018 would have less problems than the first 2019. Time will tell. Now if July will hurry up and get here.
Between changes for '19 and increased production, I'm nervous that my soon to be ordered Ventana could have more issues than most Newmars in recent years.