Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2015, 11:28 PM   #1

Pedal Adjustment

Hello,

I just signed up to this forum because I believe this to be a good place to learn from folks with a lot more experience than I have.
I am in the process of purchasing a 2007 Newmar Ventana 36ft motorhome. While I test-drove the RV I realized that the pedals - particularly the gas pedal - are in a really awkward position.The gas pedal seems to be too far to the right.
I am about 5'7 and I wonder if any of you knows about how to adjust these pedal. Are there any commercial solutions available?

Your advise would be greatly appreciated.

Michael
Dingsbums is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
In my signature below are links to many more that will apply to your Newmar coach.
I will leave the gas pedal to Ventana owners but will check for a TSB for that year, maybe problem.
Here is some info on gas pedals and fix's to your problem for both gas & brake.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:49 AM   #3

Most motor homes do have both the brake and the throttle in different position then we might have in other vehicles. We can move the pedals forward or backward but not any other adjustment. I have found you will adjust and will work OK.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #4

Thanks Tom.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";2391417]Welcome to the forum and irv2.

Here is a [B][URL="https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/instance1Env99NEWMAR/html/images/2007vtdpb.pdf
Brochure[/URL][/B] and Owners Guide for you.

In my signature below are links to many more that will apply to your Newmar coach.

I will leave the gas pedal to Ventana owners but will check for a TSB for that year, maybe problem.

Here is some info on gas pedals and fix's to your problem for both gas & brake.

Enjoy the forums.

I had a 40 ft KSDP and found that the pedals were too far away for a long day at the wheel. I am also about 5'7" and found that the seat would not lower enough thus keeping my feet too high to comfortably reach the pedals. I called Spartan and they would not adjust the pedals for me. My solution was to take the seat off of the pedestal, remove the steel pedestal from the coach and shorten the pedestal about 1 1/2". Be careful of getting too aggressive when lowering.since when reinstalled, the seat may hit the floor. It didn't take much to work for me Worked like a charm. No more reaching for the pedals and no more back aches since my feet reach the floor.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:18 PM   #6

Thanks Jim.
I have been talking to Newmar and they proposed solutions to move the pedals forward (toward the driver). I will check out how that works and if not I will consider your solution. Thanks for your reply.

Michael
Old 01-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingsbums View Post
Thanks Jim.
I have been talking to Newmar and they proposed solutions to move the pedals forward (toward the driver). I will check out how that works and if not I will consider your solution. Thanks for your reply.

Michael
Michael,
I would be interested in what you find out from Newmar..

Cheers,
Don
CoyoteFlatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:12 AM   #8

CoyoteFlatz

Newmar did not offer any "official Newmar" solution but they pointed me to aftermarket products you will find by goggling "pedal extension". I think the brake pedal extension offered by these companies will work fine but I wonder about the accelaretor extension. Will that solution work for a foot plate with the pivot point on the floor? More to come. Stay tuned.

Michael
Old 01-29-2015, 04:16 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can not help you with right/left but you can get pedal extensions. Most Medical supply places ( Home | Wright & Filippis as an example) carry them though that specific spplier is expensive.

these "Extend" the pedal and may make it easier to reach.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:03 PM   #10

Perhaps you can make some seat and steering wheel adjustments your not aware of. This only works if your Ventana has a Telescoping Steering Wheel. My 2014 has one but I'm not sure if it has always been available. If so try this, push the steering wheel all the way in, then slide seat as far forward as needed, then lower the seat as low as needed. This should make the pedals fit about as nice as in a car.

Hope this helps.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #11

Thanks for responding... I really didn't think Newmar would come up with a solution, not saying anything bad about the company. They've answered every question I've had about our coach in a timely manner. They're GREAT!

That being said...I've come up with a design for a throttle pedal extension. Being 5'5" I have a problem with the throttle pedal but not the brake.

I've done quick a mock-up with wood and will now take that and try to recreate with aluminum. Pictures to follow.

Oh, and I take no responsibility for anyone that try's this and fails. Okay?

Cheers,
Don
CoyoteFlatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingsbums View Post
Hello,

I just signed up to this forum because I believe this to be a good place to learn from folks with a lot more experience than I have.
I am in the process of purchasing a 2007 Newmar Ventana 36ft motorhome. While I test-drove the RV I realized that the pedals - particularly the gas pedal - are in a really awkward position.The gas pedal seems to be too far to the right.
I am about 5'7 and I wonder if any of you knows about how to adjust these pedal. Are there any commercial solutions available?

Your advise would be greatly appreciated.

Michael
I have the same issue in my coach when I first get in after driving the Jeep. The more driver seat time you have the more you get used to it and the less of an issue it is.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:13 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Same issue for me with my 5'7".

I use the Cruise control a lot to rest my leg.

My wife is 5'1" ...... Impossible for her to drive safely! That is what she used as an excuse
Bleclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:47 PM   #14

Well I just got it done...

I said earlier that I had a design and wood mock-up for extending the throttle pedal. At 5'5" my heal did not touch the floor and I had to push the pedal with my toe, and after a short time it became uncomfortable.

So, being blessed with having a shop full of tools and equipment I came up with this.

This is mod 1.1 Yup, I already recreated one of the parts to better do the job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150217-IMG_8269.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	86357   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150217-IMG_8270.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	86358  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150217-IMG_8274.jpg