Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2015, 07:19 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Penquin Heat Pump - Is it worth it?

About to order our first Newmar. Downsizing from Winnebago Journey 36 foot DP to Bay Star Sport 2702. The Journey had a heat pump. It was loud and not very effective (even within designated exterior temp ranges). We did not plan to upgrade to a heat pump for a new Bay Star Sport (BSP). Got to thinking that our unit was 12 years old and maybe the technology had improved. So, asking this group to provide some input regarding performance of newer heat pumps in their Newmar units. Should we upgrade or just go with the standard propane heat and electric space heaters we have used in the past. We do not travel in the winter, but have been out as late as November with temps at night hitting the 20's. You opinions are eagerly sought! Thanks

Lynn
Potential BSP Owner - 2015
2002 Journey DP
99 Suncruiser
92 Coachmen Leprechaun Class C
15650street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 15650street,
Welcome to the Newmar Owners Forum. On my 05, the heat pumps have proven very valuable. They operate, as advertised, providing heat for the entire coach down to around 40 degrees. The system will then automatically shift to the propane furnace. I also have 2 small electric heaters that are used to compliment the heat pumps/furnace.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:28 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hello, our 2 units are Dometic , they still heat/cool great, 15 years old this year, we use the heat pumps all the time in cool weather, heats great, would not be without them.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hello - I have two Dometic units with heat pumps and they work very well down to the low 40's. Below that the heat output is less and the air circulation feels drafty. We use them all the time when on shore power.

Alan
str8six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:40 AM   #5

I shut my heat pump off at 45 degrees. We use them all the time when hooked up. It also saves propane during cold weather and in my opinion that is the chief advantage. My propane furnaces are almost as loud as the heat pumps and they put a lot of moisture into the rig. I think the votes are in ...heat pump.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:27 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
To repeat what others have said, we also use the heat pumps a lot in our Canyon Star and feel they were worth it. With nights in the 20's they automatically switch over to propane when they need to, (under 30 per the latest info from Dometic, ours switch at about 25). We never have had to use space heaters, the heat pump/furnace backup work very well.

They are a little louder than the furnace, I've gotten used to both (I'm the light sleeper in our family). Heat pumps produce "cool" heat, so if you're used to gas forced air in your S&B you won't like heat pump heat, we have heat pumps in our house and it does feel nice when the lower floor locks out and uses the oil heat, though my wallet doesn't feel so nice!

The heat pumps Newmar installs have a defrost feature similar to home units, it allows them to heat effectively to almost freezing. It's possible your current heat pumps don't have this.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #7

Definitely would not be without the heat pumps.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Ditto.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I theory I would say that the Penguin HPs are well worth the investment. The flexibility they give you is great. The ability to zone heat & cool is nice.

That being said...see this thread on my concerns about Dometic QC issues.

Dometic, Penguin II - Quality Control or Design Problems?

I don't mean to sound like professor Doom & Gloom but these are my concerns.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Just so you have another perspective, I have a 2003 KSCA well insulated as all Newmars and no heat pumps but LP furnace with blower off it to the basement tank areas.
Have camped in 1* temps for days at a time never use electric heaters never needed them and have never had a freeze up in three Newmars I have owned.
If you going to camp in cold weather have a full LP tank and enjoy yourself with out worry with a Newmar.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
Here is a link to everything Newmar and below in my signature are links to many more for your future Newmar.
Enjoy the forum and your future Bay Star Sport.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
I shut my heat pump off at 45 degrees. We use them all the time when hooked up. It also saves propane during cold weather and in my opinion that is the chief advantage. My propane furnaces are almost as loud as the heat pumps and they put a lot of moisture into the rig. I think the votes are in ...heat pump.
pcurt23
Propane RV furnaces, (and propane water heaters), DO NOT put "moisture into the rig" unless something is broken/wrong.
As designed, (and built), their intake, combustion and exhaust is "completely isolated" from the RVs cabin).

If your propane furnaces "put a lot of moisture into the rig" something needs fixing.

However any propane appliance, who's combustion takes place inside the RV, (cook-tops, ovens, lanterns, space heaters, etc), DO add moisture into the living space of the rig.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:24 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Highly recommend heat pumps - they run quieter than the A/C mode -very nice. Also, would suggest what you order have the Oasis coach heat/h2o system if it is an option. Good luck, mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I would recommend the heat pumps. I have them on my DS and I love them. They are as quiet as the AC. Plus if i'm at a CG and plugged in, it's cheaper to run on their elec than my propane.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:04 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We, too, have the heat pumps and use them a lot. Ours are somewhat louder than the air conditioner is mode but I think each coach is probably a different in terms of resonance etc. Typically we'll run the forward unit at a slightly higher temp at night when we're in the bedroom. The rear unit kicks on only if needed. If we're in the front we run the unit above the bedroom at the higher temp so that the front only kicks on when needed. When it gets too cold the propane furnace works great. The flexibility of having both electric and gas is nice. If we had to do it over angin we'd definitely include the heat pumps. Good luck.

Tags
heat pump