Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2016, 12:45 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Permaplate teflon coating??

We got our official delivery date for this coming Tuesday! So now that we are almost there the dealer of course is throwing a few things at us. One of them being to offer a teflon coating called Permaplate for $1,400. I normally would run from something like this as I always had a our previous coach waxed twice/year living in FL. Anyone familiar with this product? Any input or thoughts on it? I haven't heard of anyone doing factory deliveries getting something like this so I'm thinking this is just a money grab.

Of course they note that just about everyone who gets it, once trading or purchasing again, get the permaplate on their next coach as they love it so much!

Thanks!
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #2

Our dealer hooked us on Permaplate application. I haven't seen any benefit from that added expense. A good wax application will do just as well.

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
If this is a new Newmar, they come with diamond shield on the front and a protectant on the clear coat of the paint. You should not "wax" the coach for 90 days as the paint is still curing and needs to breathe. And then no "wax", only protectant. This would make me very suspicious that either the dealer doesn't understand the Newmar product, or worse, is trying to sell you something that may even be bad for your paint. Again, if this is a new Newmar product, call Newmar customer service with your questions. Just my 2 cents. I'm at the factory now and just picked up a pamphlet called whistle while you work at the parts counter that explains the proper way to clean your coach. In my opinion you're getting a top quality product that doesn't need aftermarket gimmicks, just baby shampoo, food grade white vinegar and water. Lambswool not microfiber.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Page three has instructions for caring.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
007, your link "instructions" is broken.
Bill
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Its working your just to fast before I post link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:33 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is a brand-new 2017 Dutch star with the cut and buff paint job. I agree with you all but just wanted to throw out the question to confirm I was making the right decision. It's a shame no matter how great a dealer is they still try to throw in these aftermarket up charges!
Old 11-10-2016, 03:56 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Standard Dealer Rip-offs

The price negotiation for the coach (you are paying only 70% of MSRP on the vehicle and all options, right?), and the fair price for a trade-in are the 'front side' of the deal. Dealers can make a lot of money re-selling a trade-in that they have paid little to acquire as part of a deal.

The dealer extras are the 'back side' of the deal (back side being the correct term for most of what is offered). Dealers can make as much or even more profit than on the 'front side' on this inflated priced stuff which is all offered in a high pressure, time-constrained environment by the Finance & Insurance (F+I) person. The price on these extras can be in the thousands of dollars! Of course they will offer to slide it in on the sales sheet so you can pay interest on it as well. Just say NO, and tell them up front you want none of it. I won't even sign the paper saying it was offered.

Everything a dealer offers will have profit margin and overhead included and they get a cut of anything they can suck you into. This includes:
1. financing (the dealer gets a cut if you choose their lender) - you can probably do better with your own banker even if it takes a few days - pre-qualify for an amount before shopping is the best option
2. paint protection - you are paying for the labor to install it -- NOT NEEDED on new vehicles, and can do it yourself with REFLEX for the cost of the 12-oz bottle and your time
3. interior protection - you can do this yourself for a fraction of the price
4. mechanical breakdown coverage - there are many less costly options
5. tire and wheel protection - same as mechanical
6. other extended warranty packages.

You may find comfort in purchasing some of these items. Do your own research for packages by joining clubs that offer group discounts for insurance, extended maintenance, and blogs (like iRV2 forums) that give real, first-hand experience and advice.

I have been criticized for pointing out that NO ONE at the dealership is on your side. They are entitled to a fair return on their investment and overhead costs. But they are in business to maximize their profits. Don't take my word for it: look up "RV Buyer's Survival Guide" by Bob Randall and Mark Polk. RVs are big dollar layouts. You don't need to give away extra.
LennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:02 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Appreciate all the input, my thought was to pass on this as soon as it was pitched to me yesterday, especially with Newmar's cut & buff paint I don't see any reason for it. Just wanted to confirm my thinking on here.

As for the other options that will come up on delivery day I plan to pass on any extended warranties as first of all the coach is under warranty for the next year and my thought if I do decide I want something I'll look into it on the private market at the end of the warranty expiring. In regards to insurance that's an easy one for me as I own a P&C insurance agency so I wrote my own policy.

Thanks again!
Old 11-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Brian, it is a sealant. Sealants will last up to a year in the best conditions. Waxes ca last up to six months but not likely, usually four months. Find a good detailer and it might run you $400 for wash and sealant. I detail my own vehicles and always use a sealant first, then a wax on top of that.
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote