Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #1

Personal Property tax Ct and Rhode Island

I live in Florida. My license is Florida. My Motorhome is registered in Florida. I own no property in Connecticut or Rhode Island.

If I store my motorhome in Connecticut for 6 months am I subject to personal property taxation?

If I spend 7 months as a seasonal camper in Rhode Island am I subject to RI personal property tax??

Rich
patch-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch-y View Post
I live in Florida. My license is Florida. My Motorhome is registered in Florida. I own no property in Connecticut or Rhode Island.

If I store my motorhome in Connecticut for 6 months am I subject to personal property taxation?

If I spend 7 months as a seasonal camper in Rhode Island am I subject to RI personal property tax??

Rich
Rich, you may very well end up being a "resident" of those states based on your questions. Most states use a 30 day rule. That is if the vehicle is in the state more than 30 consecutive days then it is resident in that state and must be licensed in that state. I would suggest you do a pretty extensive research on the residency laws of both states and the personal property tax requirements for those states.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Rich, you may very well end up being a "resident" of those states based on your questions. Most states use a 30 day rule. That is if the vehicle is in the state more than 30 consecutive days then it is resident in that state and must be licensed in that state. I would suggest you do a pretty extensive research on the residency laws of both states and the personal property tax requirements for those states.
We haven't run across the issue of if the vehicle is in the state more than 30 consecutive days then it is resident and must be licensed. Many full-timers spend months in other states.

OP: Check out those state requirements. I'm sure some states have the 30-day requirement but it must be rare because we've stayed in many states without an issue.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #4

I am (unfortunately) in Rhode Island. I know that I can't claim residency in another state unless I live there for more than 1/2 the year. Not sure if they can claim you if you are here for more than 1/2 the year. I would say call the state but you will likely get a different answer every time you call, and that is assuming that you actually speak with someone. This is one of the most screwed up states in the country with regards to how they do business and their taxes. The new governor thinks she is doing a bang up job, but things have actually gotten worse which was pretty hard to do.

My brother is in Connecticut and with their new governor he believes they will soon surpass us in being the most screwed up state in New England if not the US.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:47 AM   #5

What are you worried about? If you own no property there, don't file taxes there, have nothing registered there, who will even know you are there?
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:54 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can register it any where you have a physical address.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
What are you worried about? If you own no property there, don't file taxes there, have nothing registered there, who will even know you are there?
I know of two people who live in florida and have no property elsewhere and took their Florida registered boat up north to Virginia and South Carolina. They were both contacted and charged personal property tax. After time in court they both paid.

They do not know how they were reported......by the marina staff? By On-water sheriff periodically searching the marinas? Who knows....

In the Rhode Island camping matter....there aren't that many campgrounds in RI one would have to drive through to check.
patch-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:02 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Not necessarily relevant to CT or RI, but I have a boat on a lake in a different NC county. I got a delinquent property tax bill the first year I put it up there, for the county tax. Ended up paying that, and getting a refund for my local county where I live and thought I was supposed to pay.

Now each year since, I pay that counties tax instead.

My belief is that since this is a revenue base for the counties, they make their rounds to the marinas on Jan 1 of each year. This marina also has a campground. Whether they'd also do that at a campground or not, don't know.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:30 AM   #9

I would seriously doubt that any county/state anywhere would hire someone to 'go around' catching out of state property owners for taxes...

What I WOULD suggest is that the marina/campground/storage facility owner is required to report to the county/state what out of state property that they have registered for over a set amount of time, triggering the taxes to the out of state owner.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:10 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:

Rich
A year or two now , the Towns in Connecticut have put pressure on the campground owners to tell them who is staying in their campgrounds 30 days or more,and then are making the RV owner pay Town taxes for the period of time.....it seemed to be a big deal at the time...but haven't heard much as of late....But check with the campground owner where you want to stay..the way around it would be is to move every 29 days for a week or so...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
I would seriously doubt that any county/state anywhere would hire someone to 'go around' catching out of state property owners for taxes...

What I WOULD suggest is that the marina/campground/storage facility owner is required to report to the county/state what out of state property that they have registered for over a set amount of time, triggering the taxes to the out of state owner.
MisterT, in New Haven ,Ct...they empoly two people on a full time basis...who drive around the city checking out of state registered cars/trucks...then they follow up on how often and how long those vechicles are there,then they check on the owners and where they work,and then gets warrents for the owners to show cause.....they bring in ,last I knew, over a million in city property tax......Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:13 AM   #12

There are a lot of RV's and cars with Florida plates running around RI, especially in the summer. There was talk of a push to determine if they were legal residents of FL but not sure they ever did anything about it. There is a new campground in Ashaway, RI that they are still developing (open two or three years) but they are trying to make it a fairly high end campground. You might call the owners and chat with them since they do get a lot of folks who stay longer in the summer months. A similar call to the owners of Aces High in East Lyme, CT might garner some information on the situation in CT.

Not sure if you follow Gone with the Wynns but they moved from an RV to a catamaran in Florida last spring and they had to pay the state of FL to remain for six months. At the end of six months they had to leave the state and can't return for some amount of time. Don't remember the details but it sounds like a similar situation that you are concerned about.

This all makes me wonder what is going to happen to those traveling, especially full time, as the states become more hard up for money.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:27 AM   #13

Quote:
I know of two people who live in florida and have no property elsewhere and took their Florida registered boat up north to Virginia and South Carolina. They were both contacted and charged personal property tax. After time in court they both paid.

They do not know how they were reported......by the marina staff? By On-water sheriff periodically searching the marinas? Who knows....
Maritime registration and dockage is a totally different issue.

If the OP and others are worried about these tax issues while in a state spending your money, I'd go stay somewhere more friendly to tourists.

These RV registration ,licensing and taxation issues are inconsistent and rarely enforced.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
You can register it any where you have a physical address.
The issue is not where someone registers their RV but what happens when they stay in one spot for an extended period of time. Residency issues are very complex and states will go to some pretty extreme lengths to MAKE someone or something a resident of that state. That's the relevancy of the OP's question. This can be very important in a state that has personal property taxes.