RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2018, 05:28 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Pet Peeves, why, why, why...

Purchased a new 2018 Essex and while going through its systems & components we notice that unlike our previous Newmar coach the clock display on the microwave (mounted in the overhead kitchen cab) doe not continuously display the time. It is a GE Advantium Profile series similar (if not the same) to what we had in our previous coach (which happened to be a 2017 model).

Bordering Ridiculous, a quick Google searched revealed information from GE that due to compliance with 2016 DOE regulation, the subject (clock display) no longer displays time other than when the door of the MW is opened due to and further, that this cannot be overridden. BTW, its the only clock supplied in the front of the coach (other that the display on the Silverleaf Panel which is inside of the command console cabinet above the driver's seat).

Call it a pet peave but this is nothing short of crazy in my opinion and yet, this is the kind of stuff our legislators are doing, why, why, why? Its a clock!:bang head:

Further reading reveals this action (legislation) is about reducing the "carbon footprint" and starts by addressing the stand-by power consumption of yes, you get it...microwave ovens. So, no more clock. I guess next to get hit will be the backlight illumination on the door bell of our sticks & brick.

Microwave - Display Goes Blank, Turns Off

http://impi.org/doe-issues-regulatio...crowave-ovens/

NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2018, 06:00 AM   #2

Just one more clock that doesn't need to be reset every time the power goes out. Seems everything these days has a clock, Bluetooth or WiFi connection. It does seem trivial to eliminate the clock on the MW though.

2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:07 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Just one more clock that doesn't need to be reset every time the power goes out. Seems everything these days has a clock, Bluetooth or WiFi connection. It does seem trivial to eliminate the clock on the MW though.
Missed my point Tom, it is the only clock inside the coach (other than the Silverleaf monitor which is concealed behind the cabinet door). Guess I have to now install my own clock.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Purchased a new 2018 Essex and while going through its systems & components we notice that unlike our previous Newmar coach the clock display on the microwave (mounted in the overhead kitchen cab) doe not continuously display the time. It is a GE Advantium Profile series similar (if not the same) to what we had in our previous coach (which happened to be a 2017 model).

Bordering Ridiculous, a quick Google searched revealed information from GE that due to compliance with 2016 DOE regulation, the subject (clock display) no longer displays time other than when the door of the MW is opened due to and further, that this cannot be overridden. BTW, its the only clock supplied in the front of the coach (other that the display on the Silverleaf Panel which is inside of the command console cabinet above the driver's seat).

Call it a pet peave but this is nothing short of crazy in my opinion and yet, this is the kind of stuff our legislators are doing, why, why, why? Its a clock!:bang head:

Further reading reveals this action (legislation) is about reducing the "carbon footprint" and starts by addressing the stand-by power consumption of yes, you get it...microwave ovens. So, no more clock. I guess next to get hit will be the backlight illumination on the door bell of our sticks & brick.

Microwave - Display Goes Blank, Turns Off

DoE Issues Regulation on Standby Power of Microwave Ovens - International Microwave Power Institute
Sounds as if the Unintended Consequence will be you buying a New Clock and then Batteries forever............. As is normally the case with short sighted legislators - they are Short Sighted -

JMHO,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:23 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I feel your pain, biting my lip

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Simple solution...

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_9knqki4qho_e

Take your pick!

TJ
Old 08-27-2018, 12:05 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yep....that's the clock I look at when the coach is dark, late at night. Like it was stated, many will be forced to install a powered clock or go with batteries that need changing. Don't see an improvement in the carbon footprint.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:24 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess it's not a peeve but in my old class c there was a nice big analog clock mounted on the wall above the dinette. I still miss that. Although our 11 year old Winne has a microwave with a clock, nothing seems to take the place of the good old clock on the wall.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #9

And if the grandkids cannot read an analog clock it's time they learned how!
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't you have that gangsta clock in the 2018 on the opposite wall? I've been trying to get one for a necklace to wear with my grilllllle.

My Whirlpool stays on but it dims so it's useless for the clock feature. But I'm saving the planet. Koombaya.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Don't you have that gangsta clock in the 2018 on the opposite wall? I've been trying to get one for a necklace to wear with my grilllllle. .
We actually paid to have that clock removed as one of our specials... I guess now I might have to put some kind of clock back. Perhaps just not a giant pocket watch.
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:31 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
The brand on the clock on my 2017 is Howard Miller so I googled them:

Howard Miller - Oversized - Category
Old 08-27-2018, 01:32 PM   #13

The only clock I need these days is one that tells me what day of the week it is, that's my clock
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:39 PM   #14

There is a workaround, but not the ideal solution.
Press the Add 30 sec button, after one or two seconds, open the door, close the door. Display will flash, the time will be displayed in the upper right hand corner.