Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2014, 10:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
I sure wish that those of you who shifted down from a longer dp to a shorter gas would talk about it a bit as I'm detecting a growing downsizing trend that sounds as if it includes a shift from diesel to gas as well. Originally, a year ago, there was an overwhelming pressure, at least I felt it, to automatically prefer a longer diesel as if it was inevitable. Having expanded my knowledge on the F-53 and suspensions, it seemed to change the dynamics from my point of view. For those of you who have actually made the switch, I would value hearing your thoughts on this, rather than just mentioning you made the shift.
I've owned a few gassers and went with what everyone was saying about dp's being so much better. They're different and heavier but certainly not better. My last dp was a Winnebago Journey 39k. In a strong gusty wind it would move around just as my gasser did. This time we decided to buy new as we are in our 60's and it will more than likely be the last one we buy. Many older dp's are at the age where problems will start showing up. Delamination, water damage and fogged windows just to name a few. A new dp is 100k more. Around here diesel is well over 1.00 per gallon more plus dealing with the DEF. I can start my gas engine early when leaving a campground and no one can hear it running. I couldn't do that with my dp. I never thought my older gassers had a bad ride and the new f53 is right up there with the dp's. The gasser is much lighter and you definitely fell it when leaving a stop light. It gets up to speed better than my 350 hp diesel. There is engine noise when going up.a steep hill but during all other driving it's very quiet. The DP is quiet for the driver but it can be annoying for anyone in the rear. The raised floor in the rear of the dp can get uncomfortable climbing over. The engine cover on my gasser is small and not a problem. My wife can drive our new mh very easily even.in.the wind. Huge cost difference in mantainance and over 100.00 less per fill up it wasn't a hard decision.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #16

Congrats on the new coach.

Please post some more pics. Gas coaches kind of get pushed back by all the diesel threads. Lately there seems to be a lot off people asking about gas coaches.

People could use to know more about Newmars' offering.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #17

Thank you for your comments on the switch from diesel to gas. Both of you have confirmed my research and my test drives, but have now added your valuable expanded experiences. If I have any hang up, it would be the comfort drive, but since I'm only planning to drive 2 or 3 hours a day at a time, that changes things somewhat.

I think I know what I will do if I stay within 34 to 36 feet, and what I will do if I go to 40 feet. For sure, I will keep my home, regardless, as it is paid for. If anything has not changed, it is my desire to purchase a Newmar.

It has been a very tough year of research on a very complex subject. The hardest part is when simple pros and cons are sometimes replaced, and this is more common outside the Newmar forum, with having to sort out useful from less useful thoughts.

So, I really appreciate your well-considered and useful thoughts.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
Thank you for your comments on the switch from diesel to gas. Both of you have confirmed my research and my test drives, but have now added your valuable expanded experiences. If I have any hang up, it would be the comfort drive, but since I'm only planning to drive 2 or 3 hours a day at a time, that changes things somewhat.

I think I know what I will do if I stay within 34 to 36 feet, and what I will do if I go to 40 feet. For sure, I will keep my home, regardless, as it is paid for. If anything has not changed, it is my desire to purchase a Newmar.

It has been a very tough year of research on a very complex subject. The hardest part is when simple pros and cons are sometimes replaced, and this is more common outside the Newmar forum, with having to sort out useful from less useful opinions.

So, I really appreciate your well-considered thoughts.
What ever you decide to get, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Time seems to go by way too fast as we get older. A year seems like a few weeks. Don't put it off. We use ours every chance we get even if it's only for a weekend. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #19

Thanks, no I won't put it off, just waiting for my financial switch to get pulled.

But, there has been a lot of value in not moving quickly. I think a lot of the risky mistakes that many make should, for the most part, be easily avoided for me, not because I'm smart, but because I have learned a lot and am still learning, and understand the value of due diligence.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=RodgerS;2344830]Thanks, no I won't put it off, just waiting for my financial switch to get pulled.

Just wondering Rodger.........., Who are you waiting on to pull(flip) it?
Had to just ask when I read your post
Old 12-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #21

Hello Palehorse89, Who, What, When, How, or Why is, with all due respect and kindness, mob. But, after I buy my mh and I run into you some day, I will happily buy the ribs and beers, because I have enjoyed your posts and look forward to making your acquaintance AND a lot of members herein as well. All of you have helped me a lot, been patient with me, and I value your guidance and mentoring.

I will say this, I won't use a loan. I will only buy using cash.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder View Post
We picked up our new 2015 Bay Star 3124 on Thursday and are heading home with it. So far it is everything we were expecting. We have gone from a much larger & older diesel pusher to a gas and are very pleased with it ($2.19 a gallon for gas!). So far heavy winds and trucks haven't been an issue on the drive. A couple of very minor new coach issues to cover with Newmar once we get it home but that's to be expected.

Any concerns we had about switching to a smaller, gas coach have been eliminated. This thing opens up like a transformer inside and the king bed is a very nice feature
Congratulation's on your new Coach!!!!! Looks great Enjoy it and hope you have a ton of enjoyable miles in front of you
Old 12-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #23

For those who asked, here is a photo of the interior. We plan on replacing the booth dinette with the combination table & chairs with desk option (none of the dealers offered one with that option but its suppose to be an easy replacement). We are also going to add a euro recliner type chair that will store on a step well cover ( or by the table) during the drive and then sit by the table or wherever during evening hours for the second adult. So far we have camped once with only the bedroom slide out and the full wall slide still closed and it was very manageable, although not ideal. With both slides out, the space inside is unreal. Its hard to remember that it's just under 32 feet.

The only other option we may consider adding is the bigger fridge but that is down the road. We've had this thing a week and don't even have it home yet and we're already making plans to deck it out even more!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vp3905433_25_large.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	81146  
chowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #24

Chowder,
I assume there must be more than two of you, because my first step, for my wife and I only, would be to replace the sofa with two recliners and not have a sofa with a recliner combo as you are planning on.

I am curious about your thoughts on a tv, which I'm guess will be minimal usage, otherwise you might have purchased a different model like a 3401 where the tv is more at eye level???

How good is the stock Newmar surge protector? I hear the Tiffin is not good and one of the top items to upgrade on Tiffin forum upgrade to do list.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:13 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Chowder if you look in QT's 1 & 2 you will see my table and chair arrangement in kitchen and may give you some more ideas for a cabinet in that area also. item# 3
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder View Post
For those who asked, here is a photo of the interior. We plan on replacing the booth dinette with the combination table & chairs with desk option (none of the dealers offered one with that option but its suppose to be an easy replacement). We are also going to add a euro recliner type chair that will store on a step well cover ( or by the table) during the drive and then sit by the table or wherever during evening hours for the second adult. So far we have camped once with only the bedroom slide out and the full wall slide still closed and it was very manageable, although not ideal. With both slides out, the space inside is unreal. Its hard to remember that it's just under 32 feet.

The only other option we may consider adding is the bigger fridge but that is down the road. We've had this thing a week and don't even have it home yet and we're already making plans to deck it out even more!
Looks very nice! We took our booth out also. We have a cabinet/desk to install and right now have the original table with two swivel chairs. Went the summer without the cabinet because there is so much room. We ordered Newmar doors to match the custom cabinet that we made and had a corian top made for it that matches the kitchen counter top. Am going to look into the chair that you are talking about. Thanks for the picture.
roadtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #27

I like your idea about keeping the original table, roadtraveler. It will be fairly easy to just remove the booth seats ourselves and get 2 nice chairs and that will really open up that space. Eventually we can add the cabinets if we even need them. We travel with dogs and that will make a lot more space for them to stay during the drive and at night, also, once those booth seats are gone.

Just an FYI for those interested. We have traveled halfway across the country with the new coach so far and are averaging exactly 8.05 mpg on the new engine. We're really happy with that.
chowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats!