Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-RVer View Post
I would suspect there are 1000 miles of wire in a typical 35-45 motorhome. This is not counting all the other systems in there, plumbing, blah, blah. To have one work perfectly would be something, but hmm, last I checked i break down once in a while too.

I am disgusted with the poor quality of construction of RVs, including the appliances and accessories used in them. I agree with V3600 that we should be able to get a product that operates as it should at least most of the time. I've owned RVs for decades and I can't remember a single trip that didn't result in a needed repair upon return home. Sometimes they required repair while we were still on the road.

I flew airplanes for a living. How many miles of wire are in a Boeing 737 or a fly-by-wire Airbus? More than in my RV, I'll bet. Yet somehow those extremely complicated airplanes are kept flying reliably every single day for years.

Yes, I'll admit they cost millions of dollars, but there are people who would be willing to pay double the price of today's RVs to get one that works properly.

What's it going to take for the RV industry to build a reliable product?

I'm still waiting for the day the Japanese decide to start selling RVs in America. Look what happened to cars when Datsun (Nissan), Toyota, and Honda started selling cars that would go 250,000 miles and still not leak oil.

Please, Toyota, start making RVs.

-- Loren
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren B. View Post
I am disgusted with the poor quality of construction of RVs, including the appliances and accessories used in them. I agree with V3600 that we should be able to get a product that operates as it should at least most of the time. I've owned RVs for decades and I can't remember a single trip that didn't result in a needed repair upon return home. Sometimes they required repair while we were still on the road.

I flew airplanes for a living. How many miles of wire are in a Boeing 737 or a fly-by-wire Airbus? More than in my RV, I'll bet. Yet somehow those extremely complicated airplanes are kept flying reliably every single day for years.

Yes, I'll admit they cost millions of dollars, but there are people who would be willing to pay double the price of today's RVs to get one that works properly.

What's it going to take for the RV industry to build a reliable product?

I'm still waiting for the day the Japanese decide to start selling RVs in America. Look what happened to cars when Datsun (Nissan), Toyota, and Honda started selling cars that would go 250,000 miles and still not leak oil.

Please, Toyota, start making RVs.

-- Loren
I would be all over a Honda motorhome. If they ever made one, bet US made motorhomes would improve in short order.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #45
Jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefin View Post
I agree with not planing a trip after delivery. Problem is....we planned the trip a year in advance with our previous RV. Then pulled the trigger on the new unit right before the trip. As usual, timing is everything.
Exactly we did that once before original unit had an issue so we took new unit and we were lucky no issues. We have a month long trip to west coast and are waiting until we get back to order a new unit.
Jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:04 PM   #46

You hit the Nail on the head !!!!
Ajhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:22 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefin View Post
The dealer set a date for pick-up. We spent about 5 hours going through the check-off list. The check off list was found on this sight and was extremely helpful. We hit the inside, outside, the roof and I rolled around under the unit on a creeper for awhile. We found 7 or 8 items that need attention. The biggest item was the stove was not working. Induction 2 burner and 1 burner did not work. They took care of that right away. We decided to come back for the other items as we had planned a 2 or 3 week trip and knew we would find more by the time that trip was completed. The we planned to drop it off and have everything taken care of at the same time. Well, that plan failed......Got home started loaded the MH and planned on loading the rest in the morning. The next morning I noticed a small puddle of hydraulic fluid on our driveway. The following morning I was back at the dealer which was Thursday morning. We should able to pick up on Friday. Called Friday and told it would be ready at the end of the day. Drove a hour and a half and was just about to the dealer and they called - yup - not ready. They ran into problems. It will be ready Saturday morning. They called at 11 AM and told us it will be ready at noon. Started heading that way and they called - yup - not ready. Every they did is wrong. They are going to have to get new cables and do the fix all over again. Should be ready on Monday. Not a great start for our new coach. So far we are disappointed with the purchase.

Yet another unhappy customer that spent a lot of money on a new MH just to be delayed using it because of the new coach problems. Again, I’m glad I let the previous owner do that with mine. When the manufacturers pay minimum wage, you get major problems because they just don’t care.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:46 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
I have an induction plate on the counter of our coach and use it all the time. Other than the cookware, not much else is different. At first you'll notice it cooks abit faster, but you'll get used to that fast. I have a gas stove top and rarely use it. I'm hoping to find a replacement top, induction, for my stove.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:04 PM   #49

Just think how complex an aircraft is! Talk about miles of wires and complex electronics!!!
If your motorhome breaks down, think about that when you have to fly home.
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:15 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Attitude is everything. If you walk into something new and tell yourself you hate it, you'll hate it. The induction cooktop is trivial, the other issue is more severe but you're under warranty and these things happen. It will be fixed and you'll be good to go. You will find more things, more things will happen, it's a part of the lifestyle but you're in the best of hands with Newmar and associated vendors.

Now tell us some exciting trips you have planned with your new house on wheels???
Attitude is everything, you are correct. The OP must have great attitude because he ordered a new RV. Anyone who does that has to put up with the poor construction and quality control to try and get the rig into the shape it should have been when he picked it up.
The attitude that things will happen and you will find more things is the problem. We shouldn’t find things and then expect that more things will go wrong. The manufacturers count on their customers willingly putting up with these problems. If our cars were built this shoddily Detroit would be out of business along with Japan etc.
Sorry for the problems and I hope they are all fixed to your satisfaction. It does kind of hurt the new RV experience.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytesponge View Post
Just think how complex an aircraft is! Talk about miles of wires and complex electronics!!!
If your motorhome breaks down, think about that when you have to fly home.
LOL. But would feel more confident flying cross country in a old plane that in a brand new motorhome.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:54 AM   #52

The problem with all aspects of the RV industry is there is NO accountability on the manufacturers. Take just one Warranty statement and read it word for word, they have so many ways to make sure the consumer has no real recourse against them for a problematic RV. They pay millions each year to lobbyists in Washington and many States to keep any notion of regulatory oversight of he RV industry off the agenda. If there were to be some enforceable legal accountability for the RV industry you would likely see a steep turn-around in quality or a lot of manufacturers close it's doors. The industry could easily build these things much better than they do but they don't have to, consumers continue to buy them in spite of the industries inherent poor quality and reputation.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:08 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
30 years ago my uncle told my parents, “To own a motorhome you must be a mechanic.”

Every day I think about how right he was....

I'm just hoping that someday everything that could possibly break already has, so at least then I'll know how to fix it.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:32 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99phantoms View Post
One reason for my interest is I'm having induction cooktop issues, as well. I'd sure like to know if it's the cooktop or my selection of cookware.

We went with All Clad induction rated cookware. We have induction at home too. Just bought open stock for the Coach. Works perfectly.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:36 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
For a $250k+ coach, buyers should expect perfection and the manufacturer and dealer should deliver. Suppose that same $250k was spent on, say, a Rolls Royce and it come with a host of problems. RR wouldn't be in business very long as RR buyers expect perfection. We've been conditioned as RVers to expect problems. Shouldn't have to be that way. And in this day of overnight delivery we shouldn't have to wait weeks for parts from the factory. RV industry is just too cheap to provide quality products and service.

RR does not purchase a chassis from a vendor and then add the body. Nor does RR have a kitchen, LR, BR etc.. [emoji16]
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:37 AM   #56

Not trying to hijack anyone's thread, but I just saw this, this morning.

NHTSA Recall ID Number : 19V197 Manufacturer : Newmar Corporation Subject : Steering and Tie Rod Arm Bolts may be Loose
MakeModelModel YearsNEWMARVENTANA2017-2019