Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #15
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefin View Post
I didn't mention the dealer. Someone else did. My wife bought a complete set of pots and pans that are supposed to work with the induction. We only tried them during the PDI. One burner worked and the other did not. They both work now, but have not cooked on them yet. On the test the water did heat up rapidly though. Personally, I really like the idea of not having propane in the coach, but this will be a new cooking adventure for us.....
We're all-electric and it took a little bit of adjustment as we cook on a gas range in the sticks-and-bricks. Once we learned the basics, it was fine. I'm sure you'll have the same experience.

Not having to deal with propane is great; no tanks running out at an inopportune time, no need to find a propane dealer and no need to pay the extra cost. What's not to like?

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 06:36 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
So the coach is not ready twice when they said it would be ?

No red flag there, and didn't go downhill, yea right .

They should have called way before say mid day.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #17

There is nothing I'm reading about the OPs experience so far that would make me regret the purchase or be upset at his/her dealer.

These are the issues you may or may not have when you purchase a new coach. No matter what manufacturer it isn't like purchasing a vehicle. The only thing I would have done differently was not plan a trip for at least a month or longer after delivery.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:30 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99phantoms View Post
One reason for my interest is I'm having induction cooktop issues, as well. I'd sure like to know if it's the cooktop or my selection of cookware.
I suggest starting a new thread for this and I and others can help but you can also call the vendor as I did and they are great to answer questions.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
There is nothing I'm reading about the OPs experience so far that would make me regret the purchase or be upset at his/her dealer.

These are the issues you may or may not have when you purchase a new coach. No matter what manufacturer it isn't like purchasing a vehicle. The only thing I would have done differently was not plan a trip for at least a month or longer after delivery.
I agree with not planing a trip after delivery. Problem is....we planned the trip a year in advance with our previous RV. Then pulled the trigger on the new unit right before the trip. As usual, timing is everything.
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
The dealer set a date for pick-up. We spent about 5 hours going through the check-off list. The check off list was found on this sight and was extremely helpful. We hit the inside, outside, the roof and I rolled around under the unit on a creeper for awhile. We found 7 or 8 items that need attention. The biggest item was the stove was not working. Induction 2 burner and 1 burner did not work. They took care of that right away. We decided to come back for the other items as we had planned a 2 or 3 week trip and knew we would find more by the time that trip was completed. The we planned to drop it off and have everything taken care of at the same time. Well, that plan failed......Got home started loaded the MH and planned on loading the rest in the morning. The next morning I noticed a small puddle of hydraulic fluid on our driveway. The following morning I was back at the dealer which was Thursday morning. We should able to pick up on Friday. Called Friday and told it would be ready at the end of the day. Drove a hour and a half and was just about to the dealer and they called - yup - not ready. They ran into problems. It will be ready Saturday morning. They called at 11 AM and told us it will be ready at noon. Started heading that way and they called - yup - not ready. Every they did is wrong. They are going to have to get new cables and do the fix all over again. Should be ready on Monday. Not a great start for our new coach. So far we are disappointed with the purchase.

This is precisely why we paid extra for Factory Pick-up.
travelinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:36 AM   #21

2 things we have learned about the induction cook top:

1) They need to be REALLY CLEAN to work properly.

2) On 2 occasions we needed to unplug it, wait a minute, and plug it back in. The problem was that it would initially turn on and then turn itself off.

I find I prefer to cook by the numbers rather than by temperature. It seems much easier to regulate the heat that way.

Hope you get the rig squared away soon and have a wonderful time using it.-Paul
Old 04-14-2019, 10:45 AM   #22

Quote:
To answer your first question - it is not fixed yet.
Second question - I really do not want to mention the dealer, as I think they are trying their best. But if it goes down hill from here I will..
If they fix it to your satisfaction then I think they would like the recognition.

They, your dealer didnt manufacture the faulty hose.
Neither did Newmar maybe?
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
As all say, the little bugs will get fixed, it's better the major hyd leak showed up in your driveway, than being way out in the back country, or far away from a repair facility. Hmmm????-is that a freightliner issue, or a Newmar issue???
Per the induction cooktop instructions, if you are using both burners at one time, the max setting on each at the same time is 5, you can increase one to 6, which will take the other down to 4, etc. We have I don't think ever needed more than one burner at a time, so this will be fine. The limitations are due to electronic components heating up which control the magnetic field being generated, and the wiring size/amp load limits. We have been using IC for since 2011, and have never looked back. Although we also like our corning cookware, which will not work on it, bought one of those induction interface disc, (metal plate/disc), but, it causes the unit to really heat up trying to generate the field, because the disc has risers on it so it won't get so hot it mars the glass surface, not a fan of the induction disc.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #24
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought a single countertop induction burner. We use the single burner more than the double, even though it was only supposed to be a supplement. They are relatively inexpensive and the single is easier to take outside. This also allows us to use two pots on high at the same time.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #25

For a $250k+ coach, buyers should expect perfection and the manufacturer and dealer should deliver. Suppose that same $250k was spent on, say, a Rolls Royce and it come with a host of problems. RR wouldn't be in business very long as RR buyers expect perfection. We've been conditioned as RVers to expect problems. Shouldn't have to be that way. And in this day of overnight delivery we shouldn't have to wait weeks for parts from the factory. RV industry is just too cheap to provide quality products and service.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #26
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
For a $250k+ coach, buyers should expect perfection and the manufacturer and dealer should deliver. Suppose that same $250k was spent on, say, a Rolls Royce and it come with a host of problems. RR wouldn't be in business very long as RR buyers expect perfection. We've been conditioned as RVers to expect problems. Shouldn't have to be that way. And in this day of overnight delivery we shouldn't have to wait weeks for parts from the factory. RV industry is just too cheap to provide quality products and service.
A RR is not nearly as complex a piece of equipment as a motorhome. Neither does the RR get driven in the kinds of places that a MH does. There is no valid comparison between the two. And, finally, owners of $2+ million Newell and Prevost coaches experience problems too, so price paid is not a guarantee of no issues.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #27
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Do you know why RR owners don’t have problems? It’s their drivers that have problems. They just have someone bring them another car.

If you have a chance to speak with real rich people you will find them complaining about the bad quality of most of what they buy.

For you and me, our RVs have problems on vacation and we loose time. The real rich just have someone drive them to an airport to have their private jet take them home. Of course the first jet brakes, so someone calls for another.... So it’s all perspective.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:10 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We bought these pads for our induction unit. They're made specifically for the True Induction units. They protect the glass and are easy to clean silicone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Health-Craf...tion+mat&rt=nc
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote