Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2018, 06:32 PM   #1

RV Trip Wizard
Please Forgive Me-- We are Excited Newmar Owners!!

Our purchasing is almost done- 2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4354- everything is done- inspection, financing, etc.... we are so darn excited-- have plans in place for the blue ox and Air Force one, replacing the rv fridge for a residential, getting tranny and coolants replaced, we leave end of the month from WI to LA.... got a great inspection report!

I hate saying this... we are newbies....

Now, my DH is a fastener man and knows all things mechanical... and we are reading everything... (even I am reading the CDL training for WI- hoping to go for a drivers class somewhere!! but hope to gleam a lot in the meantime). We are previous sailboaters-- the last was a 43 sailboat) so luckily a lot of the systems are similar-- BUT THEY ARE NOT, TOO! I'm really curious as to what we might need - be it safety, tools (he has a bit but I think of caulking and sealing and weird things) what are you using for wash and waxing? we need to do that and we do want to get a deionizing system, too. ANY HINTS ARE SO WELCOME !!!!

Thank you so much,

We are joining the clubs and chapters and hope to meet some of you soon!

DavenMonica
DavenMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2018, 06:39 PM   #2

I have the blue ox and the AF1. Get the locking pins for the blue ox. The quick clips have a tendency to escape. And when you get to Salt Lake, Beers on me!
Old 07-06-2018, 07:02 PM   #3

You can toss your PFD's and EPIRB's and bilge pumps. You will need a dinghy -- the 4-wheeled kind that's not inflatable.

Funny that you're going from a 43 ft. boat to a 43 ft. RV. Coming from a sailboat, I'm almost certain you'll have a LOT more room in the RV.

Don't assume that the awnings on your RV will be nearly as robust or wind-resistant as those on a boat. When the wind blows, bring the awnings in. And when you leave the RV, bring the awnings in. Don't leave them out. Just a 20k wind can destroy awnings.

When you buy and install hardware and "goodies", don't stop buying marine quality stuff. It's MUCH better than RV hardware or stuff. More expensive too -- but worth it. I still keep my West Marine rewards program going and still buy a lot of hardware and accessories from them -- or other marine hardware places.

Have fun! And YES -- you're forgiven for being so excited. Been there, done that, still doing it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Welcome to the world of Newmar. You are starting with a good coach and it appears that you have done your due diligence. Just like sailboating, you will be continually learning things in your RVing.

Take notes and file them in a way that makes it easy to recall them. I use an Apple iPad, but old-fashioned pen and paper will work too. And, stay connected with this forum; it is a treasure trove of information and people who are willing to share it. There are no "dumb questions" here, just ones that need answers. Whatever the question, I think you'll find someone who has the answer; probably several someone's.

While this is a wonderful resource, it can also be a bit daunting. Don't let people reciting problems and complaints overwhelm you. When you hear about problems and issues, remember that you rarely hear from the vast majority of folks who are not having them.

Finally, we have found that the two most essential tools in our toolkit is a small, plastic card and a small electronic device. Yep...a credit card and a cell phone. If you need a tool, buy it. If you need a service, call a provider and pay for it with a credit card. Certainly use your credit card responsibly, but unlike open water sailing, in your RV you will always be relatively close to what you need.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:28 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Welcome to the RV/Newmar and IRV2 world, this forum is a great resource. You will find some very knowledgeable people here, and 24/7 for the most part. When you start a new thread, try and be descriptive in the topic, in the thread provide as much information and pictures as you can. The Mobil app is very easy to post pictures from. And as said, there’s no stupid questions. Congratulations [emoji898] Stuart
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:28 PM   #6

Unlike on a sail boat, Home Depot and Harbor Freight are not that far away. Basic tools, and if something fails, buy the new tools as needed. In my opinion, they don't need to be super high quality as they won't be getting used day in, day out - hopefully.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:39 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the Newmar family....

Lots of great info here on iRV2......

I use Blue Ox tow bar and base plate and had Air Fore 1 (AF1) when I owned my diesel pusher (DP). I also use the locking pins, especially when on the road for a long trip.

As far as clubs. We are members of Family Motor Coach Association (FMCA). Great rallies and lots of local chapters. It works for us.

All the best to you guys. We winter in LaBelle, FL, do to be shy and send me a PM and maybe we can meet up for a cup of Joe.....

Take care,

g
Old 07-07-2018, 07:46 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi and welcome,
You have many happy memories waiting to be made. Before acquiring too many "accessories" consider waiting until you need it (for most stuff).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:23 AM   #9

Very happy for you. You will enjoy every minute of your RV fun time. This forum has answers for anything you have a question on. You have every right to be excited, we are all excited for you. Whatever you get, ordering the best they offer is always the way to go. We have the Blue Ox and the Air Force One, which we are very glad we purchased.
WulfHaslett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #10

RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by azSkier View Post
I have the blue ox and the AF1. Get the locking pins for the blue ox. The quick clips have a tendency to escape. And when you get to Salt Lake, Beers on me!

Thank you for the tip! We love Salt Lake-- just might take you up on that!

DavenMonica
Old 07-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #11

RV Trip Wizard
Thank you all

Thanks for all your input! We really have been wanting a coach for five years and have been on here for the duration. (LURKER ALERT) That's why we decided on a Newmar! We thought about Entegra, but ultimately decided this was were we needed to be. I have been digesting all the information on here as I can, so at least I kinda know where to start looking! This is a GREAT forum. We have the Blue Ox and AF1 on order and ready to install when we pick the coach up. We have joined FMCA, Passport America, getting ready to join NKK, don't think we'll join Thousand Trails.

My DH misses the boat, however we are both looking forward to the more CONVENIENT way of traveling! If we need it, we can drive and get it! And yes, WoodyS- a TON more room!!
Old 07-08-2018, 05:23 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look into Aero Wash Wax All for your washing and waxing!
wepinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:31 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome Aboard !
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:35 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wepinegar View Post
Look into Aero Wash Wax All for your washing and waxing!

I also use this product and love it.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar