Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Please help with Newmar models

We will be retiring next summer and are looking for our first DP. I've done tons of research and have found several Newmars that fit our must haves. However, there are several models and I'm not sure what the differences are between them.

We are looking for a 2004 to about 2008 due to budget. A 40 to 43 ft seems to have what we need which would include a street side kitchen. One of the reasons that we really like some of the Newmar models is that they have a large kitchen since we love to cook. My question is what is the difference between the Dutch Star, Mountain Aire, Kountry Star etc. in these years?

Thanks for your insight!
12amNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12amNSX View Post
We will be retiring next summer and are looking for our first DP. I've done tons of research and have found several Newmars that fit our must haves. However, there are several models and I'm not sure what the differences are between them.

We are looking for a 2004 to about 2008 due to budget. A 40 to 43 ft seems to have what we need which would include a street side kitchen. One of the reasons that we really like some of the Newmar models is that they have a large kitchen since we love to cook. My question is what is the difference between the Dutch Star, Mountain Aire, Kountry Star etc. in these years?

Thanks for your insight!

Since nobody is answering I will say what I can. Mostly interior appointments and exterior appearance.

A look at their website might help. We own an older MA and found the Newmar to be better constructed than other units. I believe you will find the MA with a bit more upgrades than some of the other models. JMHO Hope it helps.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #3

Our 2004 MADP 4016 has a street side kitchen and a lot of counter space. It is a great setup.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 12amNSX,
Consider going to https://www.newmarcorp.com/owner-too...hures-archive/ From here you can bring up the brochure of your choice.

In the timeframe you are looking at be sure to carefully look at the paint. Sunny day with the sun behind you and at a 45 degree angle. Start with dark colors. You are looking for small cracks in the paint. Sometimes looks like spider web. This is a fiberglass problem. The fiberglass walls must be removed and reinstalled with new fiberglass. Repainted with the colors (that Newmar uses) of your choice. This was not a Newmar only problem but many manufacturers got stuck with this fiberglass. Newmar is the only manufacturer that has helped out with this very expensive repair. Not saying a coach with this checking is unacceptable. If the coach you want has this problem call Newmar with the coach number. Tell them what you are doing and will Newmar help. Then negotiate your cost with the seller.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Since nobody is answering I will say what I can. Mostly interior appointments and exterior appearance.

A look at their website might help. We own an older MA and found the Newmar to be better constructed than other units. I believe you will find the MA with a bit more upgrades than some of the other models. JMHO Hope it helps.

I was afraid no one was going to respond so thank you!

I've looked at the brochures from those years and I can't see significant differences in construction, mostly configuration differences. I'll check out their web site to see how they are marketing the new ones. Good idea.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:29 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi 12amNSX,
Consider going to https://www.newmarcorp.com/owner-too...hures-archive/ From here you can bring up the brochure of your choice.

In the timeframe you are looking at be sure to carefully look at the paint. Sunny day with the sun behind you and at a 45 degree angle. Start with dark colors. You are looking for small cracks in the paint. Sometimes looks like spider web. This is a fiberglass problem. The fiberglass walls must be removed and reinstalled with new fiberglass. Repainted with the colors (that Newmar uses) of your choice. This was not a Newmar only problem but many manufacturers got stuck with this fiberglass. Newmar is the only manufacturer that has helped out with this very expensive repair. Not saying a coach with this checking is unacceptable. If the coach you want has this problem call Newmar with the coach number. Tell them what you are doing and will Newmar help. Then negotiate your cost with the seller.

Thanks! I've been looking at the brochures to find differences.

The information about the fiberglass is very much appreciated. Are there any other posts about what to look for in a Newmar before purchase? I found that the older Winnebegos have a problem with the headliner adhesive failing for example.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #7

I would also think that if your looking as new as 2008 that you might check into Comfort Drive as that is the first year that had it. I have no experience with the early CD but maybe someone else on here can join in. We absolutely love it in the new coach and our older coach. I think the early version was just an on/off switch whereas the later where controlled by a adjustable dial that controlled it.

And welcome to the Newmar family. They are great coaches and there is a wealth of information on here.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you all for your responses. I've done some more research and believe I found what I need.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonhiker View Post
I would also think that if your looking as new as 2008 that you might check into Comfort Drive as that is the first year that had it. I have no experience with the early CD but maybe someone else on here can join in. We absolutely love it in the new coach and our older coach. I think the early version was just an on/off switch whereas the later where controlled by a adjustable dial that controlled it.

And welcome to the Newmar family. They are great coaches and there is a wealth of information on here.
What is comfort drive ?
gordofuchs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #10

We love our 08 Kountry Star. Price was great, and it has all the quality of a high end Newmar, including comfort drive. I would recommend this model to anyone looking for a great coach.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordofuchs View Post
What is comfort drive ?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=232

Tags
newmar