Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2016, 06:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Edge View Post
Too many horror stories about residential electricians wiring up the 50 amp service wrong (30 and 20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Actually a 50 amp RV plug is a 240 volt service, its the 30 amps that cause the problems since a 30 amp dryer/stove plug is 240 volt.
The_Edge
Mr_D is right.

30A receptacles can easily be, (and often are), wired to provide 240V... (which can cause damage to RVs).

30A RV Receptacle

50A receptacles are 240V and suitable for use with a 50A RV.

50A Receptacle

And/Or with a 30A RV using a 50A to 30A adapter

50A male to 30A female adapter

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 10:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
You didn't mention a neutral wire. Did you wire one in? You have to have one.
Your are correct. I used 3 conductor plus ground #6. Two hot, one neutral and one ground. Sorry for the missing info...
The_Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Yes you are correct on the 50amp. My mistake, and misunderstanding.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:35 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 2015 DSDP.
We not on the road for the near future it will be stored outside plugged into standard household 110.
I have the refrig running full time and zone #2 running AC at 80 degrees.
I will run generator often to exercise it.
Does this sound like a good plan???
It won't sit more than 6 weeks without out being on the road as it is meant to be.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #19

I set the rear AC to about 85° in hot weather and run it a month or so, then set the front AC to 85° and let it cycle a while and let the rear AC rest. Repeat monthly. In cold I turn on furnace to @ 60° to keep inside from freezing. Also turn on tank heaters at first sign of near-freezing temps.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our coach will be plugged in and set to keep unit between 77 and 60 in the Winter.
We take her out once a month for at least 1 hour while running gennie and all systems.
Always fuel up so there is little air in the tank as possible.
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Look at your plug and receptcal and you will see that they are marked 50 amp, 120/240 volts.
Good advice. My neighbor had a licensed electrician put a 50amp box near his home pad. Fried his microwave, converter and a/c. Wired wrong! Cost the electrician a few bucks to replace to items.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Edge View Post
As a first time RV owner, I am coming across many things that I try and research out to find answers for. These forums are great to search for answers from expended users. Here is something that I was wondering about, but have not found many people taking about.

I plan on keeping our RV plugged into our house between trips. I installed a 50 amp service so I can run anything I want. For those of you who keep your RV plugged in, how often do you run the fans or AC?

Since the Fantastic fan and AC units are not made to run 24/7, keeping them on all the time would not be an option. But, I can imagine it gets pretty hot inside the coaches when closed in for any length of time.
Everything is going to wear out eventually, but I honestly think, it's better on this equiptment to run, than sit for long periods of time.

My heat pumps never go more than 3 weeks between use, either making heat or AC. Generator, at least monthly for a couple of hours. Aquahot, every 3 weeks, with all heat exchangers turned on.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Products like Surge Guard RV power protection will protect your RV from plugging into mis-wired outlets. An electrician wired my 30A RV receptacle like a 240 dryer circuit. Tested it first with my SurgeGuard and it found the problem.

When I got my Class A, the first thing I bought was a 50A Surge Guard.

It also protects for overvoltage and brownout conditions.

Jerry
2013 Newmar Bay Star - 2004 Toyota Tacoma
JerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
30 amp miswire... Knew better and still did it!!

I wired up a 30amp plug on the house for pre and post trip stuff prior to storage. I knew not to use a hot float but wired it that way anyway The circuit was from my wife's old tanning bed and I didn't move the white wire to the float buss. Luckily the only damage was the inverter and $700.00 to my wallet to fix the card in the inverter

Bill
bfam2008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time